Short Sunderland Mk III - Italeri 1/72

CedB

For those of you thinking (like me) 'This is page 3*, get on with something for goodness sake', some small progress this morning:

* Edit: Page 4!

48780928832_0de3701aa0_z.jpg

Black bits. Big deal.

But wait…

48780425198_29e9177fd0_z.jpg

Thank you #9 blade and little vacuum.

You may know that I'm spending time as a 'Group Skills Instructor' with the local Scout Shooting sessions. Shooting Scouts? Nah, Scouts who are Shooting. One of the small benefits (apart from the feeling of 'doing some good') is that you get to keep some tins:

48780967112_8ea81521ba_z.jpg

Handy to have on the bench with some water and a little Micro Set.

Having lined up the transfer with the bits I had chopped off I checked that the PE lined up as well:

48780437118_9c9dc63142_n.jpg 48780446983_de8535e52c_n.jpg

Nice. When that's dry I'll stick the PE on with something that comes through the holes to represent the glass.

• Like 17

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Very nice IP! :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - it is isn't it? Hopefully better when the GG Thin dries:

48781119782_c313f0c4e4_z.jpg

and it's had some blobs on.

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Nice, no lovely work already already

I suppose this means I gotta do a Monday update too

😕.   😦.   😩

Of course Bill - posts always welcome for your engineering :) 

Remember Tony posted this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Saying "We think that Italeri got their surface detail inspiration from Waters/Gilmour/Mason/Wright"?

Look what I found:

48781947801_ca488616f4_z.jpg

And you thought the outside was bad! Tempted to write some of my favourite graffiti on that: I think it's a ceiling anyway.

Care needed when removing the stairs:

48781595218_99f6d5d0f9_z.jpg

…so that's been held in place and glued with some other painted bits:

48782022036_b70ef758ae_z.jpg

I've also finished (almost) my little pot of H78 Cockpit Green so I'll be using some Hataka and Xtracrylic as well to use that up. I don't need it now that I have my Colourcoats 'perfect match'.

• Like 12

On 9/22/2019 at 11:55 AM, CedB said:

Thanks Bill :) 

I've found your S61N just before and after spraying with the filler and @tomprobert's advice on one build here.

Looks like the filling primer might be the way to go (if my tin still works).

Plenty to be getting on with on the internals I guess…

The filler-primer might just to the trick, but I reckon it'll need a good few applications and sanding back.

Maybe under a coat or two of paint the panel lines won't look too bad - not as bad as the current fad of putting dark washes into panel lines to produce a surface that resembles a mad-man has been at work with a permanent marker ;)

Thinking out loud - would a liberal coating of Mr Surfacer have the desired effect..?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mr Surfacer might but I havent had any experience using it, it does however have many fans so could be good

Ced I promise you that door isnt on a bent wall inside Keith's old plaything, I walked through it on Saturday

I took another looky at the ceiling(?)

Wouldn't a copy of the record sleeve wording look good up there with you knowing just what's what, a simple crop and print on white sheet is all you need

would you like a sheet of clear?

No point losing the skills gained with the wabbit (was the wabbit wasnt it?)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Aah, so it's not supposed to be bent then!

Titter ye not!

Lovely panel though!

Ian

No, not bent - now straightened. Yes I am clumsy :) 

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

Ah yes, 1970s polystyrene ceiling tiles, very big in the 1940s :D Won't be visible once it's closed up, I trust...

Good work so far Ced,

Cheers,

Stew

:rofl2: Thanks Stew!

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

The filler-primer might just to the trick, but I reckon it'll need a good few applications and sanding back.

Maybe under a coat or two of paint the panel lines won't look too bad - not as bad as the current fad of putting dark washes into panel lines to produce a surface that resembles a mad-man has been at work with a permanent marker ;)

Thinking out loud - would a liberal coating of Mr Surfacer have the desired effect..?

Thanks Tom :) If I decide to fill the panel lines (rather than paint them, a lot) I'll try the Mr Surfacer.

43 minutes ago, perdu said:

Mr Surfacer might but I havent had any experience using it, it does however have many fans so could be good

Ced I promise you that door isnt on a bent wall inside Keith's old plaything, I walked through it on Saturday

I took another looky at the ceiling(?)

Wouldn't a copy of the record sleeve wording look good up there with you knowing just what's what, a simple crop and print on white sheet is all you need

would you like a sheet of clear?

No point losing the skills gained with the wabbit (was the wabbit wasnt it?)

Thanks Bill :) The record sleeve… now that's an idea.

8 minutes ago, hendie said:

I hear Italeri's CAD  chisel bloke studied at the Inca school of architecture

Thanks hendie :D 

Well I've just spent a while looking for suitable graffiti and found, to my horror, that the funny stuff we grew up with has been replaced by, er, loads of people spraying their 'tags'. Couldn't find a funny one amongst them! Apart from the fantastic Banksy stuff it's all "me, me, me'! I've bought the Kindle version of Nigel Rees' book to save for prosperity.

I did find a couple of images that will go in:

48782670111_aa06213253_m.jpg

The famous 'Mr Chad'. Maybe just a version with a cleaner background and 'Wot, no…' and a suitable modelling term - suggestions welcome.

This, of course, has to be there:

48782305618_7a924896a5.jpg

If you're not a 'Life of Brian' fan you must watch the video of the bit where Brian has to graffiti the town square - one of my favourite clips :D 

Some more candidates…

I couldn't care less about apathy.

"Make love not war."

--- I'm married. I do both.

Be Alert - Britain needs Lerts

I’d give my right arm to be Ambidextrous

Bill Stickers is innocent!

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Feel free to suggest your (clean) favourite - I need ten or eleven.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

"Ronald Reagan should be bloody well hung!"

"He is, my dear, he is". Signed Nancy.

Or the old classic:

"Here I sit, broken hearted, paid my penny and only f**ted!"

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Heretic,  You could wind up being boiled in a vat of MiG Panel Line Wash if the “Spanish School” Police catch you, and nobody expects the Spanish School Police.  (With apologies to Messrs Palin, Cleese et al)👺🤪😖

• Haha 7

Huzzah! We have lift off! Did somebody resurrect the Matchbox trench digger or what? I'm glad I passed this kit up but you will no doubt make another silk purse out of a sow's ear. As for graffiti, how about "Ced was here, fnar, fnar".

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

"Ronald Reagan should be bloody well hung!"

"He is, my dear, he is". Signed Nancy.

Or the old classic:

"Here I sit, broken hearted, paid my penny and only f**ted!"

Ian

Thanks Ian - I said clean! Asterisks don't count :D 

2 hours ago, bhouse said:

"Wot? No filler?"

Good one Brian :D 

2 hours ago, stever219 said:

Heretic,  You could wind up being boiled in a vat of MiG Panel Line Wash if the “Spanish School” Police catch you, and nobody expects the Spanish School Police.  (With apologies to Messrs Palin, Cleese et al)👺🤪😖

:D Thanks Steve. Never got the hang of washes myself. What's that smell? 🧥

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Huzzah! We have lift off! Did somebody resurrect the Matchbox trench digger or what? I'm glad I passed this kit up but you will no doubt make another silk purse out of a sow's ear. As for graffiti, how about "Ced was here, fnar, fnar".

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian- another good one! :D 

Some messing about while I'm waiting for the tube to arrive for the windows.

There's some nice PE in the kit for the seat supports but it's thicker than usual and defeated my little bender so the pliers had to come out:

48783272648_8896488f8e_z.jpg

Nice though in the end:

48783289223_6190037e81_z.jpg

… and they'll go well with the seats:

48783931462_f7d46f0725_z.jpg

Front and back view. No they're not ejector marks, they're 'detail'. Nice little arms rests.

Control columns, pedals and i/p are in with some blobs:

48783396413_af5f1e8669_z.jpg

Some nonsense on the other panels:

48783923217_ce1d37331f_z.jpg

48783770916_1333a27326_z.jpg

• Like 14

Thanks Giorgio :) 

I've been thinking about this after some wine this evening. Why not build 'Keith's Sunderland' as she was 'in my theme days', that is as a Mk III?

Basically the Italeri kit with amended serial and Sqdn code - ML824, NS-Z?

What do we think? It feels right to me…

There's a full history of her here and, of course, we have lots of pictures.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Wow! Went out to lunch yesterday ( followed by a snooze ) and look how much I missed.

John

Thanks John :) I hope you enjoyed the lunch!

49 minutes ago, perdu said:

Your plan Ced, sounds like a plan

Go for it, she will look great

10/10 for planning

Thanks Bill :) Of course now I'm thinking I should spray the markings (except the serials, I'm not completely mad)

Some late night assembly, always dangerous. Cabin bulkhead glued in the floor and clamped dry into the fuselage to make sure it's upright:

48786749526_5170123718_z.jpg

In that photo it looks as though the wing stub / locator will knock the radio off but I've checked and it looks as though it might just miss?

Some shots of the internals this morning:

48786752211_30e10024c3_z.jpg

48786388628_eb22570123_z.jpg

48786904602_57819b925b_z.jpg

I've also assembled this:

48786742771_ae03c876bc_z.jpg

Just, really, to get it off the trees. It won't be used on the ceiling so has gone in the cupboard.

I've also started on the wings, mainly to get the part trees cleared (first one empty).

Still waiting for the tube - might be here today?

• Like 9

Thanks AW :D 

Wings. Before we start, I found another of these lurking on the bench this morning:

48786949566_4582c795fb_z.jpg

Where are they coming from? Ah, the 'extra bit' on the E trees:

48786587108_01ab513ebb_z.jpg

I've separated those extra bits from the main tree now and put them safely in the box. I've also separated the parts (aerial masts?) that were dropping off and put those with the others. Thankfully no losses but I'd suggest others look out for them!

Wings. Big:

48786557273_8e3671568c_z.jpg

One aileron sits a bit proud (the lower one):

48787072002_fc633dfb7b_z.jpg

…because this lump was left over from the gate when I sawed it off:

48786559433_cc4cce7347_z.jpg

Now that's been removed, and some other flash in the aileron slots, they fit much better:

48786939186_a8229ded1f_z.jpg

So the wings can be glued and clamped for later:

48786985321_41df84a456_z.jpg

I've also gathered 'other bits for IG':

48786957756_4e34f71076_z.jpg

The part bottom right has the graffiti wall (actually the ceiling) on its reverse so I might paint these up sooner rather than wait for the fuselage (and its windows) to be finished.

really need to do some DIY decorating today. What's to do? Sanding. I hate sanding…

• Like 9

10 hours ago, CedB said:

There's a full history of her here

That's really interesting Ced, thanks for the link! I didn't realise she wasn't actually still on RAF charge when I was allowed to play with her, or that she was open to the public - I always had her to myself - but maybe that was because it was always around 6am....!!

37 minutes ago, CedB said:

really need to do some DIY decorating today. What's to do? Sanding. I hate sanding…

You and me both! But my sanding is now restricted to plastic stuff. After 40 years of doing all DIY myself, I've rebelled and told 'er indoors (who always claimed ' i can't paint)if she wants decorating done it's 'do it yourself) or get a man (or woman) in! It's worked so far.....!!

Good progress on the Sunderland, you've done more on yours in a few days than I managed in a few months on mine!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1