Short Sunderland Mk III - Italeri 1/72

CedB

Hello Ced, I don't want to be rude,, but honest.  I don't like that white finish at the moment  Heavy weathered or not in real life. You will always have a great scale effect in 1: 72. Too much for me ( Ok, I like cleaner models more than heavy weathered ones;; just a personal taste.

Cheers Benedikt

• Like 1

Keep plugging away Ced. It has survived the attack by the blob and other mishaps. My main worry though is the thought of you and Bill in your birthday suits dancing around Stonehenge on the Solstice. NO!

• Haha 6

The sea and elements definitely took their toll on materials Ced so some visual abuse is certainly not out of character...

large_CH_000802_1.jpg?_ga=2.188981547.14

large_CH_000846_1.jpg?_ga=2.155353659.14

large_CH_008567_1.jpg?_ga=2.250865158.14

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.251897097.1487342

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.189449643.1487342

Screenshot_20191216-212859_Ecosia

As to the whole Stonehenge/nudity project, if you wait until the summer solstice it will be: a) warmer and b), you're likely to have a large and appreciative crowd of Druids and New Age revellers all looking for something to hang their healing crystals from...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 12

21 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Ced dear chap, from the evidence I have seen, they did get quite quickly weathered especially the early years with the paint being attacked by the salt water etc.

That is one of the reasons they changed colours to ones more durable.

Simon.

Thanks Simon - me too. Sad really :) 

19 hours ago, giemme said:

Why  not? :whistle:  Just asking ... :D  :D 

Ciao

Well Giorgio, see the thing is about heavy weathering… a) I don't like bashing up a model I've spent ages on b) I should have thought about it earlier and c) I'm lazy :) 

I shall be gloss coating soon though to 'protect' the finish (after a bit more touching up and Micromeshing) - see, I do listen!

18 hours ago, perdu said:

Weathered

Time for a new string on Ced's bow anyway

(Freehand with Fritag masking, Post-its if you forgot)

Looks awesome already

Thanks Bill - timely reminders :) 

17 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Ced, I don't want to be rude,, but honest.  I don't like that white finish at the moment  Heavy weathered or not in real life. You will always have a great scale effect in 1: 72. Too much for me ( Ok, I like cleaner models more than heavy weathered ones;; just a personal taste.

Cheers Benedikt

I know Ben, I'm usually with you on 'cleaner' finishes but this one… er, got messed up with the aged white so something needed to be done :shrug:

17 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I like it Ced :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew, good to hear :) 

16 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Keep plugging away Ced. It has survived the attack by the blob and other mishaps. My main worry though is the thought of you and Bill in your birthday suits dancing around Stonehenge on the Solstice. NO!

Thanks Tomo - No danger of 'the dance' - too cold! :D  

16 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Now I need some bleach for my mind's eye :( 

Cheers,

Stew

:rofl2:

16 hours ago, perdu said:

Ferrgoddssake don't youse guys ever listen

I don't do that any more, hence offering the tickets to Ced...

Still if Tom wants them.

😱

Quite right Bill, leave it the young 'uns! :D 

14 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Bleach, bleach!

The weathering seems to match your ref pic very well Ced! Now for a little rust/brown along the waterline and nacelles.😃

14 hours ago, perdu said:

Not rust Cookie, various kinds of water borne aluminium corrosion though and paint decisively stripped off around the waterline where tenders and buoys managed to make their collective mark(s)

Thanks Cookie and Bill :) I'm thinking some kind of light grey wash and then sponged algae. Not real algae, just paint… oh, you know what I mean.

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

The sea and elements definitely took their toll on materials Ced so some visual abuse is certainly not out of character...

[snip pics]

As to the whole Stonehenge/nudity project, if you wait until the summer solstice it will be: a) warmer and b), you're likely to have a large and appreciative crowd of Druids and New Age revellers all looking for something to hang their healing crystals from...

Thanks Tony - great pics! They certainly took a beating eh?

Wait until the Summer Solstice? Hmmm. I could do with some healing crystals hung from some bits though :D 

12 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

You may need to chip off more paint Ced.

…and a bigger boat wire brush. Now there's an idea…

This morning I didn't feel like more sanding so I thought 'How about 'dry brushing' some matt white'?

49232163058_6036b5b2d7_z.jpg

Actually I just wiped the brush on the side of the pot and then dragged it out a lot until it seemed thinned enough. Far easier than sanding around the rigging.

Getting there:

49232165208_d384195615_z.jpg

• Like 16

7 minutes ago, CedB said:

49232163058_6036b5b2d7_z.jpg

Hello Ced that is much more decent and the way like it very much.

I don't know, if you have RAL 9001 Cremeweiß as a colour in your stash. It should be looking good and decent for an aged white. Your aged white look more like ivory or beige than white (Reminds me of a radiator after 10 years, when you smoke there nearby)

Cheers Benedikt

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Ben :) I don't have RAL 9001 in my stash, sadly, but glad you like the new effect.

What's this?

49234755852_c2bbc37b99_z.jpg

A dead one of these:

49234887322_0e450d8758_z.jpg

Has to be done once per build :D 

The sharp eyed amongst you will have noticed:

• I've painted the anti-ice boots. They're shown on the scheme even though I can't see any reference shots of them. Hmmm.
  • The collector rings have had their base coat of steel ready for 'heat treatment' later
  • The exhausts have had a coat of my favourite Mr Color Iron.

Note that I've also changed to the large biplane rig/stand with the rear support removed; she's better in that upside down.

A quick go over with Micromesh and I think she's ready for a gloss coat prior to transfers.

Then it's weathering.

Or should I paint the roundels? Can I be bothered?

I'll see how I feel in the morning.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I've painted the anti-ice boots. They're shown on the scheme even though I can't see any reference shots of them.

Some on this one;

23 hours ago, TheBaron said:

large_CH_008567_1.jpg?_ga=2.250865158.14

Strange though, thought they'd have been essential given the altitude and conditions they operated in.....

Your big boat is looking rather nice....!!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wot a fabulous flying machine the Sunderland wos.  Doing her full justice here Ced :)

I think you can be bothered to paint the roundels :whistle: Your erstwhile road trip companion across the pond has set you the example to follow after all....

Roundels have gotta be bigger/less fiddly on a Sunderland than a little Spitty - surely?

Plus you’ll get a hard time from Giorgio & Tony if you don’t......

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Morning!

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Some on this one;

[snip pic]

Strange though, thought they'd have been essential given the altitude and conditions they operated in.....

Your big boat is looking rather nice....!!

Keith

Thanks Keith - pleased to see that! :) 

Thanks Giorgio, Tony, Steve - tough crowd :)  

Some design this morning:

49236573283_2042736e74_z.jpg

I'm not sure the serial is going to work so the transfer will be held in reserve.

Yellow on the roundels - ugh…

I need to prepare her by Micromeshing and gloss coating first. More later.

• Like 8

Thanks Giorgio - just for you (and Tony) :) 

Attempted exhaust collector 'heat treatment'. 'Exhaust Manifold' then very thin 'bronze' then thinned 'Old Rust':

49237302561_6825dfd939_z.jpg

… and painted the spinners. They're a bit bright:

49236828673_697108725f_z.jpg

I'll tone them down a bit later.

• Like 11

Thanks Rudolf, very kind :) 

A quick 'What's the Difference' competition:

49237202608_569847491b_n.jpg 49237908827_3b96259569_n.jpg

Can you spot it?

During the Micromeshing process I'd knocked off the aerial support. Rats.

I spent a lot of time looking for it on the bench and surrounding area muttering 'It must be here somewhere' before I resigned myself to having to scratch a replacement.

Then I went to the loo, again.

49237175783_dce05a6d0a_z.jpg

Lucky, lucky, lucky…

The second shot above is, by the way, after I'd glued it back on.

Gloss coat next.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1