Short Sunderland Mk III - Italeri 1/72

CedB

On 13/12/2019 at 13:23, Navy Bird said:

No such thing as too brave in modeling! Go for it.

Cheers,

Bill

On 13/12/2019 at 15:55, Cookenbacher said:

Yes, looking forward to the camo Ced!

Thanks Bill and Cookie :) Guess what? The 'free hand' was a mistake. I'm too embarrassed to show pictures until I've sorted it out.

On 13/12/2019 at 16:20, bbudde said:

Huh Ced. What a masking orgy! Glad, that I can spray my little ones  on the rattle can caps on the balcony with an improved stand (two stacked bins :whistle: ) Ok not that professional, but works well outside :D

Good luck with that, but looks convincing.

Cheers

Thanks Ben :) 

On 13/12/2019 at 23:02, giemme said:

Looking forward to it :popcorn:

Ciao

Soon Giorgio, soon :) 

11 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Wow, masking a grand scale there Ced.

Just caught up on this thread and I have got to say that you have done a better job than I have on my MK 1 I was building ( I got a bit disillusioned with mine and put it the hangar for now)

I might as well watch the finals of this build sir.

Welcome Simon :) 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Thanks PC :) 

Certainly not the new airbrush (thanks again) which performed perfectly!

I used the 'Quick Fix paint adjustment' for the first time so I thought I'd better test it first.

I loaded up some Tamiya blue that I don't use, thinned it and tried spraying thin lines on a piece of paper - worked really well!

Pull the button out and spray an area - worked well too.

Cleaned out the Tamiya and worried for ages that the blue wasn't coming out until I realised that the cool blue finish on the airbrush was reflecting on the inside of the cup :doh:

Loaded up with Colourcoats EDSG, thinned it, drew a thin line on the wing.

Went back over the line and wobbled.

Opened up the adjuster and filled in the area behind the line.

Wobbled, stayed in one place too long and got blobs, didn't cover some areas well enough and got rings etc etc.

Turns out that Jamie's technique and top of the range airbrushes aren't idiot proof - not against this idiot anyway.

As it's you I'll show you what happened, but please keep it to yourself :D 

49220779328_04ba03e09d_z.jpg

Horrible.

Just goes to show that, sometimes, having the tools just doesn't compensate for lack of skill :( 

As you can see I've covered my mistake (almost; it may need some Micromeshing), gave up and went back to my usual technique for the other areas:

49221261236_756609fe36_z.jpg

I've started masking for the DSG, especially protecting the exhaust supports:

49221486962_5ffc0afbef_z.jpg

I'd also scanned the scheme and started designing some masks for the cutter, then realised that the film won't go over the sticky up bits so decided to use the Panzer Putty.

The mood I'm in at the moment sways from some enthusiasm to disappointment to frustration and then back to 'nice model, perhaps I'll spray the markings'.

Weird.

It's probably some mystic, tribal, deep-rooted, genetic Anglo-Saxon thing as we approach the Winter Solstice and they won't let me roam naked through the stones of the Henge anymore :( 

• Like 17
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, CedB said:

The 'free hand'

-was just the first draft.

Painters frequently limbered up with preparatory sketches before laying out the big canvas Ced, and they don't come much bigger than a Sunderland. 

A tenner says you regroup with your usual steadfastness.

'Use the paint Luke...'

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Thanks Tony :) 

What's it called when you post a reply and realise someone has also posted at the same time and you missed their reply?

Well, that thing :D 

Thanks for the confidence - I'm sure I'll be able to bodge the rest but I'm not taking any bets!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Roaming naked through the stones, hmm

I'm not doing it this year, do you want to use my ticket?

Nice bracket masks, I won't ask...

To be fair to yourself here Ced was an actual big expensive model a really great place to try new techniques?

I can lend you a Sea Ki-mule if you want to do that fancy pants stuff

In honesty you are not hurting the model any, get the masking done and have fun

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bill :) Wise, as always. I should try new techniques on something muley but 'fortune favours the brave', or so they say. On the other hand, 'Fools rush in…'

Out with the putty:

49221156443_81c9b7307e_z.jpg

Crikey, she's big. 

That's the whole tin, apart from the small piece carelessly chucked at the tin and now resting nearby (at 11 o'clock).

On with the DSG. I remembered to spray the PE bits:

49221913922_a93d7bf33d_z.jpg

…and then blasted over the rest:

49221208468_d334c19329_z.jpg

Of course I can't leave the putty on as it will flow about so off it comes, carefully:

49221231078_487b2186f0_z.jpg

Although not carefully enough it seems. Rats.

I've just seen that demarcation line behind the support. Doesn't look too bad on the model but it's not the only bit that will need attention (see below).

The putty does come off if you pull it slowly, like this:

49221232803_8c9eb03525_z.jpg

Then ta dah:

49221249138_7b297de23c_z.jpg

Despite my usual level of care (minimal) you can see I've over-masked, especially on the port wing. I think it's because I flopped on the putty and spread it out with my thumbs, then pushed it back with the cuticle pusher thing; the plastic tool with the blue end you'll see hanging about.

That's not the only whoops though. there's this:

49221731391_eccb8f454d_z.jpg

Pointy bit on the right.

And this:

49221731851_7e942ee3f8_z.jpg

No explanation for that, apart from the usual carelessness. 

Touch ups required but I think I'll take the rest of the masking off first and do the white too.

Putty back in the tin:

49221252588_19137dd9e0_z.jpg

It'll be interesting to see if it 'eats' the paint like it does with acrylics.

Anyway, off with the rest of the masking now…

• Like 21

Thanks Bill :) 

Some things are bound to happen:

49221402673_c4c869c832_z.jpg

At least the rigging held.

Something else I tried on this was the new 'low tack' masking tape - the yellow stuff. Although the wide stuff gave no problems the thinner stuff has left a residue:

49222115252_42e5eb59bf_z.jpg

Rats.

The leading edge needs attention too:

49221412088_6b16a4d584_z.jpg

Some lift, for some reason:

49221434908_04ae1743c2_z.jpg

Another bound to happen:

49221915601_504c7ca840_z.jpg

But she's definitely looking like a Sunderland:

49221928196_4efdca6047_z.jpg

I even think the white's looking better.

Lunchtime.

• Like 27

3 hours ago, CedB said:

It's probably some mystic, tribal, deep-rooted, genetic Anglo-Saxon thing as we approach the Winter Solstice and they won't let me roam naked through the stones of the Henge anymore :( 

Do you blame them?

A big piece of plastic to paint and you have done well sir.

I don`t trust myself free hand so masks are the rigour I am afraid.

Simon.

• Haha 1

She's looking great, Ced :clap: On all accounts :winkgrin:

Paint lifts: to try and minimize them, I gloss coat before applying masking and the new color. The Aqua Gloss, IMHO, is very good at that too, since a couple of light coats provide enough protection without getting too glossy - no risk of paint running, if you know what I mean. HTH

Ciao

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Ced, I think you have done a great job so far.

I for one would never have attempted freehanding camo so the fact you even attempted it says a lot. As for the other paint hiccups - I don't think there's anybody here who hasn't done exactly the same thing once or twice.

Okay you've had a few minor paint issues, but looking at that thing I'm guessing it's about twice the size of my Wessex, and I've encountered a number of paint issues with that

Personally I think you should take advantage of Bills ticket. I'm sure you would come back bright eyed and bushy tailed and raring to go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It's looking fantastic Ced, that is one snazzy scheme with the high demarcation line.

As far as the freehand goes, I found it's best to practice on plastic since it doesn't absorb like paper does - old water/soda bottles are perfect. Just have one around, and at the end your next airbrushing session when there's still some paint left in the cup, use it up on a plastic bottle. This leads to some interesting schemes, I have a lot of yellow, Interior green and Dark blue camouflaged plastic sauce containers lying about now.

• Like 6

Don't give up on free hand. Martin Mull once said (back when he was a hip satirical folk singer and before he became a lame sitcom actor):

"You ought to know the fact is

I'm this good because I practice!"

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Great recovery!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, hendie said:

I for one would never have attempted freehanding camo so the fact you even attempted it says a lot.

I’m with him.  I’m so rubbish at airbrushing that the idea of freehanding camo ain’t even on my ‘must have a go sometime soon’ list.

Anyways. How can the brave hero of our story achieve true glory unless there’s a set back here and there to triumphantly overcome?  Where’s the human interest in unremitting perfection.......:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

20 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Do you blame them?

A big piece of plastic to paint and you have done well sir.

I don`t trust myself free hand so masks are the rigour I am afraid.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) 

20 hours ago, giemme said:

She's looking great, Ced :clap: On all accounts :winkgrin:

Paint lifts: to try and minimize them, I gloss coat before applying masking and the new color. The Aqua Gloss, IMHO, is very good at that too, since a couple of light coats provide enough protection without getting too glossy - no risk of paint running, if you know what I mean. HTH

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) Gloss coats between colours? Crikey, that's the famous Giorgio patience coming out again :D 

20 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Starting to look seriously Sunderland Ced!

Terry

20 hours ago, bbudde said:

Yep, as above! Indeed!

Thanks Terry and Benedikt :) 

17 hours ago, hendie said:

I for one would never have attempted freehanding camo so the fact you even attempted it says a lot. As for the other paint hiccups - I don't think there's anybody here who hasn't done exactly the same thing once or twice.

Okay you've had a few minor paint issues, but looking at that thing I'm guessing it's about twice the size of my Wessex, and I've encountered a number of paint issues with that

Personally I think you should take advantage of Bills ticket. I'm sure you would come back bright eyed and bushy tailed and raring to go. 

Cheers hendie :) Always nice to be reminded that I'm not alone.

14 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

It's looking fantastic Ced, that is one snazzy scheme with the high demarcation line.

As far as the freehand goes, I found it's best to practice on plastic since it doesn't absorb like paper does - old water/soda bottles are perfect. Just have one around, and at the end your next airbrushing session when there's still some paint left in the cup, use it up on a plastic bottle. This leads to some interesting schemes, I have a lot of yellow, Interior green and Dark blue camouflaged plastic sauce containers lying about now.

14 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Don't give up on free hand. Martin Mull once said (back when he was a hip satirical folk singer and before he became a lame sitcom actor):

"You ought to know the fact is

I'm this good because I practice!"

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Great recovery!

Thanks Cookie and Bill - practice eh? OK I'll give it a try :) 

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Good save Ced, looking very nice now. And if I can freehand camo, you most certainly can, so keep at it!

Keith

Ah, the famous Keefr modesty! :) 

12 hours ago, Hamden said:

Can't improve on what others have said so outstanding workmanship and superb paintwork every inch a Sunderland!

Roger

Thanks Roger :) 

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

I’m with him.  I’m so rubbish at airbrushing that the idea of freehanding camo ain’t even on my ‘must have a go sometime soon’ list.

Anyways. How can the brave hero of our story achieve true glory unless there’s a set back here and there to triumphantly overcome?  Where’s the human interest in unremitting perfection.......:)

Interest in unremitting perfection Steve? Have you seen how many follow your builds? :D 

1 minute ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Wot they ^ said

Ta Crisp :) 

I was cleaning up the tape residue on the front when this happened:

49226369668_b6252e9055_z.jpg

Not unexpected of course but I quite like the look… I wasn't really happy with the 'Aged White' and this has made me think… what would it be like with a bit of a white wash?

49227096492_1701bb9e34_z.jpg

I still need to touch up the DSG demarcation but what do we think?

Of course the problem is going to be doing the same to the wings with all that rigging…

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 16/12/2019 at 10:10, CedB said:

Gloss coats between colours? Crikey, that's the famous Giorgio patience coming out again :D 

Yes, that .... and the fact that I have a regular daytime job that allows for proper curing time of the clear coats :winkgrin: :D 

On 16/12/2019 at 10:10, CedB said:

I still need to touch up the DSG demarcation but what do we think?

Call it super-weathering? :D  Seriously, this thing used to hang around into salty water, you may want to attempt some serious weathering .... just saying ... :whistle:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Giorgio :) I think you're right - some weathering, especially on the bottom (fnaar!) is probably the way to go.

Thanks Simon :) 

I think she looks better with the 'Aged White' partially removed and some dings here and there:

49227392883_d2842182b1_z.jpg

49228093462_a87ee27650_z.jpg

…and I can do the same on the wings, with care:

49227380383_3f91539ef9_z.jpg

I keep looking at this:

Sunderland_GR_Mk_III_ML828.jpg

(Thanks to http://www.adf-serials.com.au)

Maybe not that weathered, but gives me some ideas.

• Like 14

Ced dear chap, from the evidence I have seen, they did get quite quickly weathered especially the early years with the paint being attacked by the salt water etc.

That is one of the reasons they changed colours to ones more durable.

Simon.

• Like 1