Short Sunderland Mk III - Italeri 1/72

CedB

14 hours ago, perdu said:

I'm sure he wouldn't want any antipodean arachnid visitors though

If he did he’d have to build in 1/48 at least, if not 1/32, 1/72 would not suffice, our arachnids are big.  Shared my cave with one a couple of years back, told her she was welcome but was not to nest in the stash.  (They are mostly harmless despite their looks).

AW

• Like 2

Thanks everyone :) 

Dusty, I know, but I can't do anything about it for fear of knocking bits off (fnaar!) - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

We do have spiders in our old house, of course, and some are quite big, like this one:

48966536202_fa89f9705c_z.jpg

Protecting her catch. I quite like them actually; my Dad and I had three 'pet' spiders in the shed when I was young (Tom, Dick and Harry, of course) and I've encouraged the girls in my attitude. Mrs B not so much - I have to 'deal' with the bigger ones for her. So far they've been kind and stayed off the models - except one that 'completed' a Spitfire for me by, incorrectly, adding an aerial wire between the post and fin. Obviously hadn't seen Britmodeller!

Yesterday was spent shopping with Mrs B for bits for the newly decorated room. We went to Ikea and I couldn't resist making sheep bleating noises as we joined the herd being shepherded around the rows and rows and rows of stuff we hadn't come to buy. Not a fan of crowds nowadays. How is it that people can be in a crowded place and be completely unaware of others? I bought some long curtain tracks that stuck out of the trolley and had great fun (in my head) pretending to be 'jousting' people that just wandered in front of it. We also had a 'senior moment' trying to find the car. THEN I realised that, at Bristol Ikea, there are TWO row 'C's and we were in the red one, not the yellow one. Sad.

Today will be spent on (hopefully) the final bits of 'decorating' but I'm hoping to get some modelling done. Hopefully.

• Like 8

I know Stew, I know! Better class of people though, largely… :D 

In other news, younger daughter got proposed to yesterday! Happy days…

To-be-son-in-law had asked my permission last week; that's both chaps that have been 'traditional', which I like but always surprises me in this day and age, old f*rt that I am. They actually asked, you know, in person! For some reason I expected a text or WhatsApp… great guys and I'm proud of them all.

It's about time actually. Sophs and Shane are huge travellers and, for the past year or so, there have been expectations that THIS trip would be the one where he popped the question. He waited though until he could find just the right romantic beach, this one in Sorrento.

Of course the girls are busy sending photos and messages about the ring. Shiny rocks, cuh!

No worries for me - we put a bit in a savings account for weddings some time ago - just happy for them. Apart from the next few months of wedding planning. Best stay out of it…

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

I went to IKEA for the first (and last!) time earlier this year. Who's stupid idea was it to make everyone walk for miles around a little track before getting to the bit you want? Never again!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

They actually asked, you know, in person!  

Wonder what they'd have done if you said no...?!

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Who's stupid idea was it to make everyone walk for miles around a little track before getting to the bit you want?

I'm forever really annoying the missus when we go to Ikea by ignoring the arrows and going against the flow....!! :rofl:

Keith

• Haha 7

We also have several spiders in our 200 year old house, there is a particularly large one which SWMBO has named Sidney which visits our bedroom at the moment. I try to adopt a “ live and let live “ policy but I have to admit that I don’t like the idea of it crawling over me while I’m asleep.

John

• Like 1

I have to admit to not having much time for spiders. Reinforced when I lived in Florida and had a banana spider set up camp above our front door. Huge bugger! I still smoked at the time and the wife told me to save the water from our beer can ashtrays to spray  on the things. I've never seen anything drop as quickly* as that spider did when sprayed with nicotine laced water! If that's what nicotine does I'm glad I quit!

*although some items of clothing of certain ladies I've known came very close!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Wonder what they'd have done if you said no...?!

I'm forever really annoying the missus when we go to Ikea by ignoring the arrows and going against the flow....!! :rofl:

Keith

My prospective father in law did say no.

We've been married 43 years.

Shows how little he knew!

I should say he did end up not objecting.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, CedB said:

To-be-son-in-law had asked my permission last week; that's both chaps that have been 'traditional', which I like but always surprises me in this day and age, old f*rt that I am. They actually asked, you know, in person! For some reason I expected a text or WhatsApp… great guys and I'm proud of them all.

True story: when I asked my father-in-law (a burly guy and a lifelong member of IATSE, the stagehands' union) he barely looked up from playing Angry Birds on his iPhone and said "sure". Only 8 years this past July for us, though, so we'll see. 

10 hours ago, CedB said:

No worries for me - we put a bit in a savings account for weddings some time ago - just happy for them. Apart from the next few months of wedding planning. Best stay out of it…

Planning my wedding is in fact why I've joined you all here on this site. Mrs P and my mom didn't get on (my mom called her a "sociopath", and the then-future Mrs P called my mom a "compulsive liar") and to have something else to think about, I decided I'd buy a few 1/72 scale models online and see how it went...

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I've never seen anything drop as quickly* as that spider did when sprayed with nicotine laced water! If that's what nicotine does I'm glad I quit!

*although some items of clothing of certain ladies I've known came very close!

Ian

Was that when you were wearing your patented tupping dye?

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

Thanks chaps :) 

More work to do on the decorating, a day out on Tuesday and a few other things before the chaps arrive mean I’m not forecasting much progress for a while I’m afraid. 

Talk amongst yourselves...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Thanks chaps :) 

More work to do on the decorating, a day out on Tuesday and a few other things before the chaps arrive mean I’m not forecasting much progress for a while I’m afraid. 

Talk amongst yourselves...

Alternately, we can all take turns ruining...er...building it  for you.

• Haha 5

Thanks PC, nice offer! :D

Sadly we're only in Bath for a few hours and I don't think modelling in the car, on our roads, would produce the desired result!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I don't think modelling in the car, on our roads, would produce the desired result!

I, having traversed said roads in my professional career can vouch for the roads Ced

They were pants then, after a period of Cameroausterity they are far worse now

See y'all soon

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

We also have several spiders in our 200 year old house, there is a particularly large one which SWMBO has named Sidney which visits our bedroom at the moment. I try to adopt a “ live and let live “ policy but I have to admit that I don’t like the idea of it crawling over me while I’m asleep.

John

That’s long time to live in one house, you must really like it.

the girlfriend wants me to kill every spider as she hates them, where as the kids think everything is cute, and want to catch them and put them in a box.... I feel I can’t really win

good news Ced, congrats! Your right to steer clear of all planning, it’s not fun. I didn’t bother asking my father in laws permission, my ex wife was the youngest of 8 so he was glad just to be rid of the last one. The first thing her mum did when she found out is order a shot of sambuca! ( @keefr22 is this a welsh custom?) not sure if she was drowning sorrows or celebrating 

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Haha 9

On 27/10/2019 at 07:18, CedB said:

Thanks everyone :) 

Dusty, I know, but I can't do anything about it for fear of knocking bits off (fnaar!) - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

We do have spiders in our old house, of course, and some are quite big, like this one:

48966536202_fa89f9705c_z.jpg

Protecting her catch. I quite like them actually; my Dad and I had three 'pet' spiders in the shed when I was young (Tom, Dick and Harry, of course) and I've encouraged the girls in my attitude. Mrs B not so much - I have to 'deal' with the bigger ones for her. So far they've been kind and stayed off the models - except one that 'completed' a Spitfire for me by, incorrectly, adding an aerial wire between the post and fin. Obviously hadn't seen Britmodeller!

Yesterday was spent shopping with Mrs B for bits for the newly decorated room. We went to Ikea and I couldn't resist making sheep bleating noises as we joined the herd being shepherded around the rows and rows and rows of stuff we hadn't come to buy. Not a fan of crowds nowadays. How is it that people can be in a crowded place and be completely unaware of others? I bought some long curtain tracks that stuck out of the trolley and had great fun (in my head) pretending to be 'jousting' people that just wandered in front of it. We also had a 'senior moment' trying to find the car. THEN I realised that, at Bristol Ikea, there are TWO row 'C's and we were in the red one, not the yellow one. Sad.

Today will be spent on (hopefully) the final bits of 'decorating' but I'm hoping to get some modelling done. Hopefully.

Looks like a giant house spider to me. I have had a few enormous ones this year, Literally 1/2 the size of the hand. I quite like them, I'd much rather have spiders than flies. 

• Like 3

When I asked my father-in-law for his daughter's hand, he chided me with something like "it's about time - we were going to ask you!" 44 years and counting...

And, modern times be damned, both my son-in-laws asked in person and were quite polite about it. But I think they were just softening me up to 1. pay for the wedding and 2. come over for dinner several nights each week.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, perdu said:

I, having traversed said roads in my professional career can vouch for the roads Ced

They were pants then, after a period of Cameroausterity they are far worse now

See y'all soon

Yes! Looking forward to it Bill :) 

19 hours ago, rob85 said:

That’s long time to live in one house, you must really like it.

the girlfriend wants me to kill every spider as she hates them, where as the kids think everything is cute, and want to catch them and put them in a box.... I feel I can’t really win

good news Ced, congrats! Your right to steer clear of all planning, it’s not fun. I didn’t bother asking my father in laws permission, my ex wife was the youngest of 8 so he was glad just to be rid of the last one. The first thing her mum did when she found out is order a shot of sambuca! ( @keefr22 is this a welsh custom?) not sure if she was drowning sorrows or celebrating 

Rob

We do love our house Rob and we're very lucky. It's just down the road from where I was born and not far from where I grew up; being close to your 'roots' is great.

Spiders (and snakes) seem to stir primeval feelings in people don't they? I was trained (and have trained my girls) to tolerate, if not like them. That said even I'm wary of those little jumping 'Wolf spiders' after one leapt on my finger and tried to bite me - evil little b*ggers!

Wedding planning? I keep thinking of Franck in 'Father of the Bride' - the new one… scary!

19 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Looks like a giant house spider to me. I have had a few enormous ones this year, Literally 1/2 the size of the hand. I quite like them, I'd much rather have spiders than flies. 

Thanks Adam - wow, that's a big 'un! 

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Not if your future parents in law are tea total, chapel going folk, no...!! (shame I'm neither, but they do say opposites attract...!!) 

K

Thanks Keith :D 

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great looking : bedroom, old Lanc, massive spider, oh and Sunderland. 🙌  you have been busy. 

Indeed - too busy for modelling, sadly :( 

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

When I asked my father-in-law for his daughter's hand, he chided me with something like "it's about time - we were going to ask you!" 44 years and counting...

And, modern times be damned, both my son-in-laws asked in person and were quite polite about it. But I think they were just softening me up to 1. pay for the wedding and 2. come over for dinner several nights each week.

Cheers,

Bill

Ah Bill, we're 1. OK after having 'put something away' years ago and 2. They live too far away, sadly. I'm not sure what it is about English families now that makes them spread so much. Still, nice to see them when they do come home :) 

Off to Reading today to see an old mate and avoid the carpet fitters.

Tomorrow is moving furniture back in to the bedroom and adding 'the final touches'.

Thursday I'm having a dashcam fitted to the T-Roc. I've been thinking about one for ages after having seen the 'Car Crash' programmes on TV and YouTube and thinking I should get one 'for evidential purposes'. Avon and Somerset police are now allowing people to upload videos to 'report offences'! Justice at last! :wicked:

Friday is getting ready to pick up PC and Cookie from Heathrow (exciting)

Then we're off on 'the Tour'.

Modelling? What's that? :( 

• Like 7