Short Sunderland Mk III - Italeri 1/72

CedB

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Me too - not good memories though, the yellow fever one made my arm swell up like a tennis ball - rather different to the 'small lump' the wielder of the needle said I 'might' get! Took over a fortnight to go down!

Nicely masked turrets there Ced!

Keith

Ah Keith, Yellow Fever… that's the one injected into the muscle with the thick needle - nasty memories! :shocked:

11 hours ago, perdu said:

I hope  this helps a little (or lot, more is best)

The back of  the rear turret from inside (Hendon)

Looks like sheet metal with doors to me

[snip pic]

Not sure who the chap is, looks a tad lost to me

And whilst I am in the mood to share, starboard racks, loaded

5-Ace-Hendon-250.jpg

And ditto port

5-Ace-Hendon-251.jpg

And some clever interior gubbins to make movements happen

I think

[snip pic]

And because somebody has to drive, the front from behind

[snip pic]

Every time I get in there I take a few pics

Do take note, not every part of the walls has Green Grey paint jobs

Thanks Bill, very helpful, especially the two I haven't snipped. I won't (ahem) be modelling the mechanism but the racks will get some attention :) 

11 hours ago, hendie said:

I like the period LED lamps

seems awful big tins for Weetabix though - I suppose they ate healthier back then?

Thanks hendie :D 

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Aahhhh he’s back. 😇

sorry you’re not up to full power Mr B but your turret Is looking splendid regardless.

(I’ll line em up) 🙌

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny, getting there :) 

13 minutes ago, SafetyDad said:

I'll join the others in wishing you a speedy total recovery from your ailments there CedB. And also commending your masking skills!

SD

Thanks SD, kind of you :) 

Bombs are done:

48940124923_76ba1effc2_z.jpg

…and in need of some racks. The instructions say use PE8 and PE9 on both sides of the racks but…

48940740761_699bf21a89_z.jpg

… they're numbered 8, 9, 10, 11. No worries, they're obviously pairs and my new bender made short work of the bending job:

48940677126_8cb57a5d6a_z.jpg

Note that one bit of PE has holes and the other doesn't. The bit with the holes goes on the side with the short racks, like this:

48940739351_3be2e7be4d_z.jpg

Don't glue 8 & 9 to one rack first or, like an idiot, you'll have to rip one off and stick it on the other rack before the Gator's Thin dries.

Not that you would of course.

Just sayin' :whistle:

• Like 11
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Distracted at the moment by these:

48952372223_9939653dca_z.jpg

Door furniture for the bedroom, ready for some Humbrol 21. Room now decorated (before and after):

48804044731_3209482bd6.jpg 48952918056_93a5e740af.jpg

Carpet being fitted on Tuesday.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Room now decorated (before and after):

48804044731_3209482bd6.jpg 48952918056_93a5e740af.jpg

Almost the same change of colours the missus had me do to our guest bedroom (my last, very last decorating 'project'!) although our blue sky was a bit less bright and the grey sky a little less gloomy.... :)

Keith

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

That guy you got in painted over your radio! :D 

Cheers,

Stew

What! Thanks Stew :rofl2:

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Them racks look good.

Weathering's a tad overdone though:

:winkgrin:

My weathering does need more practice… I shall try harder :) 

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Almost the same change of colours the missus had me do to our guest bedroom (my last, very last decorating 'project'!) although our blue sky was a bit less bright and the grey sky a little less gloomy.... :)

Keith

Par for the course Keith. Used to be Magnolia, now it's [insert posey name] white :) 

Brass buffed and Humbrol 21 applied:

48955104051_70b236f598_z.jpg

NOW I hope to be able to get back to the Sunderland.

• Like 8

I really need to build one of these, I too recently visited the one at Hendon. It's A very nice aircraft and certainly one of my favourites.

Other reason to build one is half of my family is from Sunderland (the place) so I kinda feel obligated to build one 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Brass buffed and Humbrol 21 applied:

48955104051_70b236f598_z.jpg

Nice job Ced, one of the advantages of being a modeller is our stuff can be used for all sorts of useful work (shame the missus (mine anyway!) doesn't realise this!!)

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Nice job Ced, one of the advantages of being a modeller is our stuff can be used for all sorts of useful work (shame the missus (mine anyway!) doesn't realise this!!)

K

I can do a lot of things, wife thinks I can do anything. This has led me to steam bending oak, renting excavators, bulldozers, designing and building five sets of stairs, installing pocket doors from scratch-(because the commercially available kits weren’ “pretty enough”.... If I had established I was usless early on in our relationship, I would have more kits done! I do have to admit the heavy equipment is kinda fun. If you ever need therapy, “bulldozer” is the answer. You win every argument!

• Haha 8

19 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I really need to build one of these, I too recently visited the one at Hendon. It's A very nice aircraft and certainly one of my favourites.

Other reason to build one is half of my family is from Sunderland (the place) so I kinda feel obligated to build one 😂

Why eye Adam (is that right?) :D

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

K

We should keep it quiet though Keith otherwise there will be 'expectations' 🤨

5 hours ago, perdu said:

Mine does

Still detests me doing the modelling though...

:)

:D 

5 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

I can do a lot of things, wife thinks I can do anything. This has led me to steam bending oak, renting excavators, bulldozers, designing and building five sets of stairs, installing pocket doors from scratch-(because the commercially available kits weren’ “pretty enough”.... If I had established I was usless early on in our relationship, I would have more kits done! I do have to admit the heavy equipment is kinda fun. If you ever need therapy, “bulldozer” is the answer. You win every argument!

Impressive Robin :) I used to do DIY but the novelty wore off. I still have the tools though! I know what you mean about the heavy equipment though - for my 40th I hired a little digger and had great fun smashing up the driveway.

54 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I thought I'd done well installing a pocket door kit with no previous experience of doing anything similar. 

Hat doffed... 

Ian

You have doors on your pockets? Impressive! :) 

A surge of mojo. Rack painting started and bombs prepared:

48958202702_a8beb1dba0_z.jpg

Then sprayed:

48958907941_b0af38d18e_z.jpg

Of course the airbrush needed cleaning first. 

I know I've done more than one coat on one of these but I've forgotten which so they both got another dose of Klear in the trenches:

48958908821_e31a57c3fd_z.jpg

As I found that quite therapeutic I started on the fuselage:

48958990936_1c3ca418a0_z.jpg

…but, of course, half way through it ceased to be therapeutic and started to be a pain. Pressed on though and completed the first pass.

Later chaps.

• Like 11

27 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Ohhh aye that sounds about right like

However, I'm from the Midlands so I've not quite got the hang of it myself 😂

Don't let Ced confuse you, he spends half his life in Leicester

;)

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Ohhh aye that sounds about right like

However, I'm from the Midlands so I've not quite got the hang of it myself 😂

13 hours ago, perdu said:

Don't let Ced confuse you, he spends half his life in Leicester

;)

Thanks Adam :) As Bill says I get around a bit, although my Leicester trips have reduced now the puppy is older.

I shall, however, be bouncing around the country with some American friends soon so I'm sure there'll be fun introducing them to local accents… had great fun teaching a Southern Belle to say 'Er threw my boik in the cut' a few years ago :D 

13 hours ago, perdu said:

Does the above mean you went and painted dad again Ced?

;)

Not yet Bill but I think, once I get the racks in and check his pose, he'll be ready for final touch ups. Sorry, that sounds wrong as it's your Dad :whistle:

No Sunderland this morning. I've been playing with this:

48961018578_4a70032732_z.jpg

… to make sure I can get suitable photos of the requested cockpits on our tour. I remembered that the Coolpix has a remote control app on the iPhone so tried taking a shot of the top of 'T Tommy' on the ceiling:

48961824372_7edf265048_z.jpg

Seems to work OK. I just need to remember to loop the strap around the stick - don't want to lose it in the bowels of something expensive.

Hoping to get shots at Boscombe, Midlands museum has promised to open their Sea Vixen if it's not raining and we have some steps arranged to get pictures of the rear cockpit of the Javelin at Duxford.

Fingers crossed!

• Like 8

Good Grief !!

I thought we lived with dust, living on a dirt road n'all !!

You've got it down to a fine art, Ced, I'm impressed ! Only thing missing is the arachnidian life playing passenger..........

Rog

• Haha 4

I'm sure he wouldn't want any antipodean arachnid visitors though

Big problem with hungup models though, dust is inevitable

I even get the stuff inside my large plastic carry boxes although they get advertised as being underbed storage

😱

• Haha 2