Short Sunderland Mk III - Italeri 1/72

CedB

So is this Ced guy a high-tech tool/gadget freak who builds an occasional model, or a die-hard styrene sniffer that just likes to have a tool for every task? I can't tell. Maybe he's a die-hard high-tech styrene sniffing tool/gadget freak with a passion for killer tour guiding.   :hmmm:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

12 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Maybe he's a die-hard high-tech styrene sniffing tool/gadget freak with a passion for killer tour guiding.   :hmmm:

I like to think of him as a gentleman generalist in the  tradition of the Age of Enlightenment

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Fritag said:

I like to think of him as a gentleman generalist in the  tradition of the Age of Enlightenment

Having now met him two or three times, and spent a large part of a very pleasant day at Yeovilton day in his company, together with three amiable American gentlemen, I tend to agree. Mind you, be careful if you ever find yourself in a well known Somerset model emporium with them, as I'm sure the combination of all four exuded those "go on buy me" vibes you get when you are pawing over a fairly expensive model that you have always fancied, and finally can't resist......

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

16 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

So is this Ced guy a high-tech tool/gadget freak who builds an occasional model, or a die-hard styrene sniffer that just likes to have a tool for every task? I can't tell. Maybe he's a die-hard high-tech styrene sniffing tool/gadget freak with a passion for killer tour guiding.   :hmmm:

Cheers,

Bill

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Having now met him two or three times, and spent a large part of a very pleasant day at Yeovilton day in his company, together with three amiable American gentlemen, I tend to agree. Mind you, be careful if you ever find yourself in a well known Somerset model emporium with them, as I'm sure the combination of all four exuded those "go on buy me" vibes you get when you are pawing over a fairly expensive model that you have always fancied, and finally can't resist......

Terry

Thanks chaps :D 

Bill I'll go for the styrene sniffer with a tool for most tasks!

Steve very kind - as you know, my enlightened views become even more evident after a few pints of bitter…

Terry I take no blame for the purchase! It's the nice lady that runs the shop… being so nice always makes me want to buy something.

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Frome has that effect on people!

It does Crisp, it does! At least the model centre anyway.

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Once landed in a field near Frome ( in a glider ) but that’s another storey. :dog:

Ah, a landing. Chalk up another point on the successful pilot scorecard :) 

Masking. Ugh.

The demarcation mask has been re-cut and both applied. I've started masking the other bits but the mojo failed after one side:

49207565703_dcf7d74a2e_z.jpg

I used 'tape for curves' at the front as this seems to be a bit wobbly too.

I always thank @Nigel Heath when I'm doing this for his advice that you don't always have to use long bits of tape - much easier using little bits, especially around the cowlings.

T'other side to do, then cover up the white bits (fnaar fnaar!) :D 

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Once landed in a field near Frome ( in a glider ) but that’s another storey. 

Hmmm, sounds like a slightly unplanned landing possibly? Maybe the plan was to land at Bath, Wilts & North Dorset Gliding club?

Gliding is like that..............

Terry

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Airfields are for people with no imagination.  Or plank-wing pilots (which amounts to much the same thing).

Oi!

We're plank-wing pilots because we have TOO MUCH imagination! As in "how the heck are all these bits of whirling metal staying attached to each other?"

Ian

• Haha 14

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Hmmm, sounds like a slightly unplanned landing possibly? Maybe the plan was to land at Bath, Wilts & North Dorset Gliding club?

Gliding is like that..............

Terry

I was doing a ‘mutual ‘ cross country from Tarrant Rushton with another member of the Dorset Gliding Club. We were heading roughly in the direction you suggest but it over-convected after a while and the cloud shut off the sun leaving us with not much in the way of thermals so after about 30mins scratching about between 1500 and 2000ft we decided to look for a field.

John

• Like 6

Good story John :) 

I did a bit of gliding some years ago but circuits only. The idea of not getting home puts me off a bit but, like Bill, I’m a bit envious. 

Terry, Crisp, Ian - play nicely boys :D 

‘Strip masking’ finished, just need to cover the rest and then I can spray away. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm sure the combination of all four exuded those "go on buy me" vibes you get when you are pawing over a fairly expensive model that you have always fancied, and finally can't resist......

You don't know if you'll ever see that kit again, so you have to buy it. Right? Am I right? Tell the truth now...

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Besides, it was the 1:72 Fine Molds F-14A. It's not something you want, it's something you need.   :)

• Haha 11

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Am I right? Tell the truth now

OK, I'll fess up, you are right Bill! Since getting it home, I've opened the box almost daily, and I whisper to it often, it is indeed one of the finest 1/72 models I have seen. Dare I even attempt to make it? I feel like Golum, and that F-14 is my precious.........

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Better than hanging round 'til 400 ft

Very true Bill. I once got seriously yelled at from the rear seat when I hadn't shown any signs of even commiting to a short base for a final turn at around that height. My instructor clearly didn't understand that I was admiring the view.

Terry

• Haha 10

Bill you're right, of course - you have to get it while it's going, otherwise it's gone :) 

Terry I'm glad you're enjoying your purchase and the view! :) 

Excitement here has kept me up so while I'm listening to results…

These have to be the most sticky out sticky out things I've ever stuck on:

49210675018_427011b2c9_z.jpg

…and there are eight more on the sides!

For these:

49211354372_e25ff924e1_z.jpg

…there was an outline for the DF but nothing for the pitot mast. And that front aerial support… gulp. Will it stay there?

We shall see (da da daaahhh)

• Like 18

6 hours ago, CedB said:

…there was an outline for the DF but nothing for the pitot mast. And that front aerial support… gulp. Will it stay there?

We shall see (da da daaahhh)

You're a brave man, Ced. :worthy:  I know I would knock off any and all of them at some point, you have my admiration :clap:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Thanks Steve and Giorgio :) 

I bottled out sticking the PE to the aerials as I'm bound to knock some off. I've masked the white ones and readied the six grey and two greens for painting:

49212847882_b329263299_z.jpg

Not forgetting the front one.

Ready for painting now:

49212855036_1f9cf2723a_z.jpg

Note the curtains covering the floats and rigging.

I've decided I'm going to try free handing the camo as she's too big to do the usual 'total colour' coat and I want to try my new airbrush.

Too brave? We shall see…

• Like 23

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Too brave? We shall see…

Huh Ced. What a masking orgy! Glad, that I can spray my little ones  on the rattle can caps on the balcony with an improved stand (two stacked bins :whistle: ) Ok not that professional, but works well outside :D

Good luck with that, but looks convincing.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, masking a grand scale there Ced.

Just caught up on this thread and I have got to say that you have done a better job than I have on my MK 1 I was building ( I got a bit disillusioned with mine and put it the hangar for now)

I might as well watch the finals of this build sir.

• Like 1