Short Sunderland Mk III - Italeri 1/72

CedB

Whhhoooojjjamommmaa. That was a catch up and a half.

Amazing work all round Mr B. 🙌 the canopy that you made fit looks great guns.

I know what you’re saying about the Mr Surfacer, I have found that when I use it it doesn’t fill gaps and leaves blobs. I don’t really think that’s what it’s for. I tend to use it these days for getting rid of scratches and light bumps / dips.  As mentioned PPP is my go to these days for gap filling or canopy blending etc. Any way thanks for keeping this one at a pace as my modelling is on hold while life is at full throttle over the festive period. 
I’m loving watching you overcome the hurdles this kit is throwing up too. Trust me you’ll miss them when they’re not there. That Gundam I’m building is nigh on perfect. No need to fix or glue a thing. To be fair it’s great but nowhere near as much fun as fixing these kits up. That’s where the fun’s at...... right kids. 🙌

keep it up sir. ‘Tis looking splendid.

Johnny waffle. 😇

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JasonC said:

You don't want soggy sausages. 

You probably don't want US sausages either, they just don't cut it! For proper sausages go here. Fantastic Brit food!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Concur. Doom Bar! 

Cheers,

Bill

I do love a Doom Bar, glad you tried some when you were over here 👍🏻

Ced I know your saying your mojo is lacking, common problem, happens to everyone I’m told... but you appear to be cracking on with this rather nicely! She’s looking great 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Ian, Stew, PC, Jason, Bill, Rob and Steve :) 

The pub visit was a great success and I had a few Butcombes, as usual, along with some lively conversation.

Bit slow this morning for some reason and had to get the puppy back to Lottie this afternoon so not much done.

On 05/12/2019 at 21:01, LDSModeller said:

Hi Ced,

All looking great thus far.

Only the Mk I/II Sunderland's had the engine exhaust going through the

wing leading edge. Mk III/V did not

The last photo by Chris, gives it away (the angled step). That's a later production

Mk II.

Those exhaust supports in the Italeri kit are a tad large, but you've got to work with

what you have got right:D

Keep up the great work

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan - phew, saved from some scratching!

You're right about the supports though (see below)

23 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Whhhoooojjjamommmaa. That was a catch up and a half.

Amazing work all round Mr B. 🙌 the canopy that you made fit looks great guns.

I know what you’re saying about the Mr Surfacer, I have found that when I use it it doesn’t fill gaps and leaves blobs. I don’t really think that’s what it’s for. I tend to use it these days for getting rid of scratches and light bumps / dips.  As mentioned PPP is my go to these days for gap filling or canopy blending etc. Any way thanks for keeping this one at a pace as my modelling is on hold while life is at full throttle over the festive period. 
I’m loving watching you overcome the hurdles this kit is throwing up too. Trust me you’ll miss them when they’re not there. That Gundam I’m building is nigh on perfect. No need to fix or glue a thing. To be fair it’s great but nowhere near as much fun as fixing these kits up. That’s where the fun’s at...... right kids. 🙌

keep it up sir. ‘Tis looking splendid.

Johnny waffle. 😇

Thanks Johnny - nice to see you're keeping busy; not long now and it'll all be over :) 

Right, which one of these is not the same:

49174061207_e1470411e7_c.jpg

49180094636_0e5fdf8331_z.jpg

Alan's right and it's been bothering me all day so tonight I tried this:

49179621383_cd5d5dc692_z.jpg

I've had this wire for about fifty years - I knew it would come in. Which gauge is better:

49180317562_5df3220ab1_z.jpg

I think the thinner one, the one that I used for the 'prototype' support. For the real ones I'll just bend a 'V' and stick another bit behind I think.

At least the blobs of CA will look like mountings - honest :whistle:

Looks OK?

• Like 11

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I think the thinner one, the one that I used for the 'prototype' support. For the real ones I'll just bend a 'V' and stick another bit behind I think.

At least the blobs of CA will look like mountings - honest :whistle:

Looks OK?

Hi Ced,

That's how I would do it :thumbsup:

Looks OK!!! Sure does

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

Amazing what you can do with a wet Saturday arvo & nobody nagging at me. This particular one I've mostly being catching up with this thread from page 10. 😮 Numbers of times I've dropped in, realised how far behind I was, panicked (sorry, can't find the run around like a headless chook emoticon) & ducked out again. Today I resolved to press on & have had a hugely rewarding voyage through Cedland with all its myriad twists, turns & dives down dark alleys places I probably shouldn't venture by myself, there're some very weird people in some of them you know. ;) :D  Anyway, thanks Ced & the rest of you for a fun, funny & informative wander. Great work of the old girl Ced. I can see my treasured Airfix one may well get repurposed for a Special Hobby Mk V in post war RNZAF colours.

If I might be permitted a retrogressive aside, when herself & I got engaged we rang my prospective in-laws to tell them the good news. :( My father in law to be spat his dummy big time, was singularly rude to both of us, didn't contribute a brass razoo to the wedding & barely spoke to me for the next 5 years except to be rude. Wish I'd read this thread before then ;)  

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 6

49 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

If I might be permitted a retrogressive aside, when herself & I got engaged we rang my prospective in-laws to tell them the good news. :( My father in law to be spat his dummy big time, was singularly rude to both of us, didn't contribute a brass razoo to the wedding & barely spoke to me for the next 5 years except to be rude. Wish I'd read this thread before then ;)  

Steve.

I feel like there's a story there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Looks fine. And will look even better on the ceiling....!! :)

K

PS it looks much better than Italeri's effort!

Thanks Keith - more below! :) 

9 hours ago, Fritag said:

Darned photos.  I thought that etch looked jolly good......

Wire?  Well seeing as it’s been waiting for 50 years for its moment in the sun......:)

Thanks Steve. Sun? What sun? :D 

8 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Ced,

That's how I would do it :thumbsup:

Looks OK!!! Sure does

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan - 'method' below :) 

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

They are inferior, it's true! 

Sausages in the thread again? How did we get back to sausages? :D 

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Amazing what you can do with a wet Saturday arvo & nobody nagging at me. This particular one I've mostly being catching up with this thread from page 10. 😮 Numbers of times I've dropped in, realised how far behind I was, panicked (sorry, can't find the run around like a headless chook emoticon) & ducked out again. Today I resolved to press on & have had a hugely rewarding voyage through Cedland with all its myriad twists, turns & dives down dark alleys places I probably shouldn't venture by myself, there're some very weird people in some of them you know. ;) :D  Anyway, thanks Ced & the rest of you for a fun, funny & informative wander. Great work of the old girl Ced. I can see my treasured Airfix one may well get repurposed for a Special Hobby Mk V in post war RNZAF colours.

Steve.

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

I feel like there's a story there.

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

maybe I'll expand on it when she is out. ;)

Steve.

We should be told! :D 

When I asked my first wife's father for her hand he said "Are you sure you want to do this?". Should have listened…

Bit of mojo and enthusiasm this morning so I started by drilling a hole under the hedgehog (that was tacked in with Copydex):

49181176403_b99ae1106b_w.jpg

…glued in a piece of wire with CA gel:

49181185213_51aa26faaf_w.jpg

…bent the wire, trimmed it and drilled another hole. This one with a smaller drill to get a tight fit:

49181688951_3f820acb73_w.jpg

Lots of pinging, cursing, tool grabbing and pinging but, with blowing on the CA to dry it:

49181215193_aed7c72e24_w.jpg

The result?

49181921627_2135a12e47_z.jpg

Good enough for the ceiling.

My idea of making a template for the other three has gone but at least I can measure stuff for the others. I guess they won't all be perfectly the same anyway?

More later.

• Like 17

Not just good but very very good Ced. Much better than the PE. :clap2:

10 hours ago, CedB said:

I've had this wire for about fifty years

Hugh Scully: 'Can you tell us how you came by this unusual item?'

Antiques Roadshow Guest: 'Well Hugh, I'm a modeller you see, and-'

Hugh Scully (agitated): 'It's Ming! Everything old is Ming Dynasty!!'

Producer on intercom: 'Condition Red. Repeat. Condition Red. Cut to the Negus on something Edwardian.'

Antiques Roadshow Guest: 'Hugh, I can't breathe....'

• Haha 8

Thanks Adrian - very kind :) 

Thanks Tony :D Ming or minging?

Anyway, my nerves are shot now having completed four supports AND glued in the top counterbalance weight PE on the ailerons:

49181483748_d7404b0fe9_z.jpg

Can anyone recommend some tweezers that the PE won't stick to? I'm fed up with carefully positioning a piece only to have it come away with the tool :swear:

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

Looking very good, Ced! :clap: :clap: Definitely better than the PE parts!

Tweezers: the smaller the bit, the more it will tend to stick to them - it sorta falls into tweezers' gravitational field...

I try to use both hands for the positioning, one for the tweezers and the other for a toothpick or similar to help detaching the bit and place it... still a very tricky business :shrug:

Ciao

• Like 5

Nice underwiring!  Who'd have thought that you needed to underwire exhausts?

Is minging sort of like pinging but a little more gentle? Sort of "rolling gently away" versus "skiting"?

As for the sausages, it was our Edward's fault for mentioning toad-in-the-hole, but I'm not going to split on him......

Honest I'm not.

Beer time anyway.

Ian

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Looking very good, Ced! :clap: :clap: Definitely better than the PE parts!

Tweezers: the smaller the bit, the more it will tend to stick to them - it sorta falls into tweezers' gravitational field...

I try to use both hands for the positioning, one for the tweezers and the other for a toothpick or similar to help detaching the bit and place it... still a very tricky business :shrug:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) Ah, more hands needed eh!

2 hours ago, hendie said:

Not guilty!

nice update Ced. Tripodery at it's finest.   

Thanks hendie :) 

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Nice underwiring!  Who'd have thought that you needed to underwire exhausts?

Is minging sort of like pinging but a little more gentle? Sort of "rolling gently away" versus "skiting"?

As for the sausages, it was our Edward's fault for mentioning toad-in-the-hole, but I'm not going to split on him......

Honest I'm not.

Beer time anyway.

Ian

Thanks Ian - enjoy the beer! :) 

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Gravity

Gravity makes tiny stuff stick to tweezers

Its the law...

:D Thanks Bill, helpful.

So what about ceramic tweezers then? Will CA stick to that?

Anyway, in an attempt to avoid all the fiddly bits I found some stands to hold things on and, hopefully, avoid knocking off the soon-to-come sticky out bits:

49182903161_220ed851b5_z.jpg

Note I also painted the prop tips - sprayed H24 after Bill's recent escapades. With Cookie's thinner seemed to go on OK. 

The stand for the fuselage:

49182408263_34bb50bf9b_z.jpg

…is another thing I've had hanging around. I think it's from the Wii?

Tomorrow I'll look at all the missing bits, decide what needs to be on after the transfers and stick the rest on.

Probably.

Then it's time for some proper paint.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Is minging sort of like pinging

not in Scotland!

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Gravity

Gravity makes tiny stuff stick to tweezers

Its the law...

What's the law that states when you are using very, very sharp tweezers that you have to impale yourself at least twice drawing substantial amounts of blood ?

Are tweezers like Kukri's?  You're not allowed to put them back until you have drawn blood?

20 minutes ago, CedB said:

Tomorrow I'll look at all the missing bits

If they're missing, how can you look at them?

this forum has gets me all confused at times

Edited by hendie
  • Haha 8

Ced said: " Can anyone recommend some tweezers that the PE won't stick to? "

Ooh! You just gave me an idea. I used some thin rubber gasket material ( liberated from the old electrical/instrumentation shop at work ) that I superglued to these clamps so they would grip onto various kit surfaces. I could do the same thing with my tweezers! That would help eliminate some of the ping risk.

40577932253_a1bf65416d_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1