Short Sunderland Mk III - Italeri 1/72

CedB

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Some mojo before bed so I made use of it. I have no idea why Italeri decided that they needed to emphasise 20o twice in the instructions:

Looking closely, the 20 degree offsets are to port and starboard respectively, yours are all to the same side.  If it’s not too late, two of them need to be rotated anti clockwise.

AW

edit:  having another look at those instructions it may be that Italeri have shown both front and rear views, in which case you‘re ok hand can ignore the above.

Edited by Andwil
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, hendie said:

Swing it!

and draw fast!

Can't swing it AND draw fast, I need both hands to… Oh, the Crikey, got it :D

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Clever masking there, Ced :clap:

I must remember that trick. And the engines look good too :thumbsup:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Hold your horses, what's this latex glue you're using?

Stuart

'tis 'Copydex' Stuart, great for this sort of job. Holds well enough and, when you pull the part off, you get to peel the latex off; almost as good as bubble wrap :)  

2 hours ago, Andwil said:

Looking closely, the 20 degree offsets are to port and starboard respectively, yours are all to the same side.  If it’s not too late, two of them need to be rotated anti clockwise.

AW

edit:  having another look at those instructions it may be that Italeri have shown both front and rear views, in which case you‘re ok hand can ignore the above.

Thanks AW - it transpires that there is a reason for having the rear view - see below :( 

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

All looking good despite the odd mishap

Thanks Adam - mishaps continuing! :) 

We've got the puppy here this week and she's not helping my modelling at all, having decided this is the best place for a snooze:

49172549696_c6ff9ba72c.jpg

I say 'puppy' but she's almost a year old now - still slightly potty though.

So, puppy down and engines up. Let's look more closely at that picture of the rear of the engine:

49172556671_1233a85d43.jpg

Notice anything? The arrow helps. There's a slot in the back of the engine that fits a lug on the mount like this:

49172658592_92f66cba62_z.jpg

Fortunately I'd put that engine in the right way up.

Unfortunately:

49172431916_a5c39e36d8_z.jpg

…that's the only one. Rats.

No problem, chop off the lugs:

49172499521_85b38b3a03_z.jpg

…clean up the mount and the engines and cowlings go on fine:

49172045788_be2ac18459_z.jpg

I've let those dry a bit while I post this. Time to put on the front bits and exhausts.

• Like 16

Once bitten, twice shy, if my memory works…

I wanted to make sure that the exhaust stubs were in the right place, which meant bending some PE for the hedgehog supports:

49172853787_850e46b19a_z.jpg

I'm never sure whether to bend with the slot on the inside or outside - help anyone?

This seems to be right:

49172630156_b4eb49446f_n.jpg 49172151048_ba7336559c_n.jpg

…so i'll use that as a 'master' when bending the others.

The engine masks weren't big enough when bent over the gearbox:

49172642876_390050ac8b_z.jpg

…so I cut some bigger ones:

49172656001_46ce49f94e_z.jpg

49172183628_89c13d87d2_z.jpg

Better.

Mojo tank on empty again. What is wrong with me? Don't answer that… :D 

• Like 15

The general rule is PE folds with the half-etch line inside, unless the destructions say otherwise.

I've built so many metal kits that the "fold inside" is just automatic with me - and it caught me out a while back when the instructions said to fold with the half-etch outside. Typical of just one solitary kit maker to be contrary. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just caught up with this one Ced, she's coming along nicely!

Maybe they put the 20° bit on the instructions twice because some people actually miss parts off when they're only shown once? :whistle:

Ian

• Haha 2

Nice fix, nice PE job (yes, slot inside the bend :) ), nice puppy! :clap: Nice update, all in all :D 

What's not so nice (but that's down to Italeri) is the wings leading edge join - this is going to give you a lot of work (talk about mojo-consuming tasks ...  :frantic: )

Ciao

• Thanks 1

I don't know if you have this photo, Ced, but I'll put it here for others to see.

49174061207_e1470411e7_c.jpg

While doing some looking at IWM, I found this photo. It shows the exhaust of the port inside engine entering the wing leading edge. Cockpit or leading edge heating?

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.192794538.1206629

Another:

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.170385952.1206629

Chris

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

The general rule is PE folds with the half-etch line inside, unless the destructions say otherwise.

I've built so many metal kits that the "fold inside" is just automatic with me - and it caught me out a while back when the instructions said to fold with the half-etch outside. Typical of just one solitary kit maker to be contrary. 🙄

Thanks Heather, appreciated :) 

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Just caught up with this one Ced, she's coming along nicely!

Maybe they put the 20° bit on the instructions twice because some people actually miss parts off when they're only shown once? :whistle:

Ian

Er, thanks Ian :D 

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Awwww...that's just pure animal bliss Ced. Beautiful.

Thanks Tony - she is a cutie. Going back tomorrow :) 

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Nice fix, nice PE job (yes, slot inside the bend :) ), nice puppy! :clap: Nice update, all in all :D 

What's not so nice (but that's down to Italeri) is the wings leading edge join - this is going to give you a lot of work (talk about mojo-consuming tasks ...  :frantic: )

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio, well spotted. Now sorted with a few swipes of the trusty SIHRSC. I must have been distracted by something to have missed that. Oh yes, the TRENCHES! :) 

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Nice bending Ced! And I like your masking idea! 

Pup has grown into a gorgeous young dog!

K

Thanks Keith :) 

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Beautiful ‘puppy’ with some more growing to come from the look of those paws.

Oh yes, the Sunderland’s coming along well too.

John

Thanks John :) 

5 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Awwww I too have a bit of a distraction from modelling, although she won't quite come and sit on me when I'm trying to build something 😂

[snip picture]

Nice one Adam! Is it a Siberian Hamster? Please don't say you haven't seen that episode of Fawlty Towers :D 

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I won’t show your photo to my dog, Adam; he’s a terrier, and in his eyes you’re holding... breakfast.

4 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Haha no I think my floof will be just fine, she would eat any dog that gets too close

Gulp. Pet wars!

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

I don't know if you have this photo, Ced, but I'll put it here for others to see.

[snip photos]

While doing some looking at IWM, I found this photo. It shows the exhaust of the port inside engine entering the wing leading edge. Cockpit or leading edge heating?

[snip photos]

Chris

Thanks Chris - useful. I obviously need to do some more research! :) 

47 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Hmmm, bit over weathered that, nice model otherwise.... :)

K

:rofl2:

Hmmm. Exhausts diverted? Just when I got the four supports bent:

49174124831_4237f182f5_z.jpg

I did try to start sticking them to the model but they're springing all over the place.

I'm off to the pub.

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Procopius said:

It is a very nice pub. I miss their toad in the hole.

Not a difficult dish to make at home, but be sure to brown your sausages first. You don't want soggy sausages. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Chris - useful. I obviously need to do some more research

Hi Ced,

All looking great thus far.

Only the Mk I/II Sunderland's had the engine exhaust going through the

wing leading edge. Mk III/V did not

The last photo by Chris, gives it away (the angled step). That's a later production

Mk II.

Those exhaust supports in the Italeri kit are a tad large, but you've got to work with

what you have got right:D

Keep up the great work

Regards

Alan