Short Sunderland Mk III - Italeri 1/72

CedB

11 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

So pretty much any Monday morning, then...

Where's that blurglecruncheon? I feel a gobberwarts rending coming on! :chair:

Martian 👽

• Haha 7

20 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Glad to see you back at the bench after a 1600 mile interlude Ced, but as one of the primary beneficiaries of that interlude it is bittersweet to watch the build from across an ocean rather than just walking down the stairs!

Cookie! Glad you got back OK :) 

Thanks Bill and Chris for the pictures - useful :) 

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Blue bands normally mean the things are inert....

Thanks Keith :) 

Off to see the girls today - hopefully I'll get something done tomorrow :) 

• Like 4

On 10/29/2019 at 1:04 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

You’re touring our US friends in Blackburn’s (ahem) finest?  Our Belgian and Martian friends might just spontaneously combust with joy.  

Ambassador, wiz zis turret fighter you are really spoiling us.  [Apologies to any reader not familiar with UK 1980s chocolate adverts]

Job done Crisp !! Job done !!

I fueled the whole band of U.S citizens...:evil_laugh:

Sad that I did'nt meet you, I'll send the parts for Roc, Skua folding wings.

CC

• Like 2

On 11/15/2019 at 11:43 PM, giemme said:

There, just like nothing has happened, he's back at the bench. :worthy:

:D

Ciao

Nothing happened ?? Giorgio ?? Are you kidding ??

See here... 

They now know what Chouffe AND Mc Chouffe is !! 

CC

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

I've never been known to refuse free beer. 

You would never have got past Border Control if you had! The very thought!

Traumatised of Mars 👽

• Haha 4

Thanks chaps :)

Some mojo yesterday and this morning. I designed some stripes in Inkscape (which now can't open / save files on OSX Catalina - rats) and printed them on the laser:

49089061866_f6db1c7ba3_z.jpg

Cut into strips and ready for applying:

49089293897_2826e871bb_z.jpg

… I decided I need to cut this into suitable lengths before trying to apply. As my geometry is flaky (as you know) I'll wrap some tape around the bombs to get a rough length. Aiming for this (thanks to Chris back in post #220:

48837399966_70a0b1c702_b.jpg

• Like 3

Well that's not working:

49089385692_291148bb8a_z.jpg

Rats.

Back to the drawing board.

I think I'll wait until I have some more patience. Out for lunch today so, hopefully, I'll have some more mojo tomorrow :) 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

A thought...

Is there a way to mount the bomb in a lathe? I seem to recall you have a small lathe in your toy tool collection. Mount the bomb, spin at slow revs, apply a fine brush loaded with suitable paint colour and Robert's your father's brother.

• Like 9

Drill hole the size of the paint band in a sheet of plasticard, you do have such?

Insert bomb to make the size, paint thin line around the hole on the bomb

Not as efficacious as bunging it in a rotary device but does work

P1120738.jpg

As does using decal strips on parallel surface, but never around a tapering surface

😠

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

A thought...

Is there a way to mount the bomb in a lathe? I seem to recall you have a small lathe in your toy tool collection. Mount the bomb, spin at slow revs, apply a fine brush loaded with suitable paint colour and Robert's your father's brother.

Great idea.  [Literally nothing could possibly go wrong.]

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

A thought...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

A thought...

Has anyone experimented with heat shrink tubing used for electrical insulation? Paint the bomb the colour of the band, slice off a ring of tubing (it comes in a variety of internal diameters) of a suitable diameter and width, and apply it where the ring is to be. Shrink it with a soldering iron or hair drier so it conforms to the contours of the bomb, and paint the bomb the colour of the actual bomb. Wait until everything is properly dry and cured, then peel or cut the band(s) off.
I'm going to give this a go on some F-15 ordnance once I've finished the Tempest I've been working on of late.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ced! If you wanna paint use your Tamiya tape for curves.  It works a treat on ...... curves. Other than that try cutting the decal right on the line so you have no carrier. Can you do that with home brew ones. Then it should fit fine. 

Johnny decal. 😇

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I seem to recall you have a small lathe in your toy tool collection. Mount the bomb, spin at slow revs, apply a fine brush loaded with suitable paint colour and Robert's your father's brother.

Occam's Razor Ced.

Heather's right - would have this done in under a minute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

A thought...

Thanks Heather - it has been done! (See below) The bead lathe doesn't do slow revs but it worked (of course) nonetheless :) 

14 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Great idea.  [Literally nothing could possibly go wrong.]

Well, you could take out a bomb and find that the tail ring was missing. Or something like that… :D 

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Occam's Razor Ced.

Heather's right - would have this done in under a minute.

11 hours ago, perdu said:

is true.

Well it took me more than a minute Tony - one of those jobs where the prep and cleaning up takes much more time than to job itself, but as Bill says, 'tis true :) 

21 hours ago, perdu said:

Drill hole the size of the paint band in a sheet of plasticard, you do have such?

Insert bomb to make the size, paint thin line around the hole on the bomb

Not as efficacious as bunging it in a rotary device but does work

[snip that lovely photo]

As does using decal strips on parallel surface, but never around a tapering surface

😠

Thanks Bill, more ideas for the (mostly full) brain :) 

16 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Don’t make me talk about cosines again....

Regards,

Adrian

Ah, now then, it would be good to have that in the 'techniques stash'; if I could have designed an arc all would have been well (apart from, perhaps, the colours). Something to do with pies isn't it? :shrug:

14 hours ago, Procopius said:

[snip video]

Thanks PC :D 

14 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

Has anyone experimented with heat shrink tubing used for electrical insulation? Paint the bomb the colour of the band, slice off a ring of tubing (it comes in a variety of internal diameters) of a suitable diameter and width, and apply it where the ring is to be. Shrink it with a soldering iron or hair drier so it conforms to the contours of the bomb, and paint the bomb the colour of the actual bomb. Wait until everything is properly dry and cured, then peel or cut the band(s) off.
I'm going to give this a go on some F-15 ordnance once I've finished the Tempest I've been working on of late.

I've not tried that stuff Steve but I do have some 'bait rings' for masking spinner bands… trouble is these are really small :) 

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Ced! If you wanna paint use your Tamiya tape for curves.  It works a treat on ...... curves. Other than that try cutting the decal right on the line so you have no carrier. Can you do that with home brew ones. Then it should fit fine. 

Johnny decal. 😇

Thanks Jont but see above - they're tiny little things and getting the tape straight at this scale would have taken ages :) 

So:

49094295972_4ce6cecc13_z.jpg

See that I've moved 'the rest' ready for the brushes? Once I'd realised that the chuck is left-hand-drive (weird) I was away:

49093591978_98728d6365_z.jpg

Four done and tail ring re-glued. Almost consistent too. Good enough for the ceiling.

49093613798_eb1369b3e3_z.jpg

Sadly I'd already glued four of the bombs to a rack for Bill's Dad to fiddle with:

49094142791_7a4ae3c56a_z.jpg

Just glued him in place so worried about tilting the model for a better photo - I'll do that later.

I need to get this closed up and progressed to restore my mojo after the stall. 

More later :) 

• Like 16

Steady on Bill, I need a gentle restart after the tour! :D 

Bill's Dad, better photo:

49093971583_a6aba526f3_z.jpg

The nasty Airfix plastic has taken its toll but that's the last time he'll be seen, like these bits:

49094688182_82808a3b2d_z.jpg

Nice seats and stuff. And 'that anchor and winch', bit blurred, sorry:

49093979443_7a127fbe27_z.jpg

Before close up I luckily checked the instructions for missing internal bits and saw that this was missing:

49094002573_7bf1018c44_z.jpg

A tip for you; when you're looking for an easy 'back in' after a break, don't start with something fiddly like this - all you'll do is refresh your Anglo-Saxon.

Nice to see Italeri included the mooring point though, just like the real thing:

49094728597_f95c8dd350_z.jpg

Sort of. Another thing not to try is glueing bombs onto a rack:

49094014928_ce939e35cb_z.jpg

More Anglo-Saxon. Better take a break to calm down…

• Like 13
  • Haha 6