Short Sunderland Mk III - Italeri 1/72

CedB

Apologies for the lack of updates chaps. The Doc has put me on antibiotics for the open cyst (yuk) and, according to NHS online, some of the side effects are nausea, bloating and diarrhoea. Great. They don't mention the flatulence, so I won't either. Pardon me…

I've also been trying to plan the tour with 'The Americans' and I think we've finally got the 40+ sites whittled down to 'something we might be able to achieve if travelling in a BlackBird'. Once it's finalised I'll stick it up somewhere (fnaar!) so we can meet up (other than Saturday at Telford, of course).

On 12/10/2019 at 07:52, keefr22 said:

That's good, cos I laughed too....!! :whistle: :)

K

(pretty pics of the mountains too!)

Thanks Keith :) One of the reasons I wanted to go was to see the mountains, I have a thing about them. From the ground, obviously; I have no wish to climb them (or fall off, obviously).

On 12/10/2019 at 12:19, hendie said:

Nice job on the chalets Ced, but I think you have the wrong shade of green for the grass and the cotton wool for the clouds just doesn't look right

Thanks hendie :D I did try to colour match the grass - obviously it's in the RLM range and not my area.

On 12/10/2019 at 12:32, The Spadgent said:

You certainly know how to holiday. 👌

Thanks Johnny :) To be honest I had enough of travelling when I was working so staying at home is a holiday for me! Nice to see friends though and try some local stuff. Abondance is known for its cheese but it's not cheese as we know it, Jim. That's possibly why they melt it down and dip nice stuff into it.

On 12/10/2019 at 16:41, rob85 said:

Chalet looks beautiful, I’m very jealous! Glad you had an good time, but not glad about all the other stuff!

Rob

Thanks Rob :) It is a great Chalet - very woody. My mate (known him since school) is one of those chaps who likes to do building / DIY things for relaxation. Possibly one of the things we don't have in common.

On 12/10/2019 at 17:08, Biggles87 said:

That does look nice.Back from Dordogne this PM, can't show you any piccies of our water mill because they were taken on SWMBO's new smartphone ( non  I-type ) and she hasn't worked out yet how to transfer them to the Mac.

John 

Thanks John :) I hope you get the 'phone sorted out - be nice to see some pics.

On 12/10/2019 at 18:01, perdu said:

Perils of new technology John

I am of course entirely jealous of the lot of ya

'cept the cyst bits Ced

Not at all green eyed about that  :(

Thanks Bill :) I'm hoping I'm not prone to these things now, they're a pain.

On 12/10/2019 at 18:17, limeypilot said:

Where's the pub? 

Ian

Thanks Ian :) 'Tis forin parts so no pubs. Can't get a glass of warm, brown, flat beer anywhere. Horrid.

On 12/10/2019 at 21:05, perdu said:

Looks like it on the right side of the second picture Ian

Wondering whether to head for mine now?

Close Bill - you're good at spotting bars ain't ya? :D 

On 12/10/2019 at 21:19, bbudde said:

Nowhere!

True. See above! Thanks Ben :D 

On 12/10/2019 at 22:48, TheBaron said:

Anyone else hear the Where Eagles Dare theme coming out of that that picture?

'Broad Ced calling Danny Boy...'

Oooh, scary Tony - I was thinking more Sound of Music :D 

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Cheeky - isn't he on a diet....? :whistle:

K

Quite right Keith, although I put on a few pounds it has to be said… couldn't resist the food and I was on holiday :) 

19 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I wince every time time I think of that film and the ice pick......

Ian

Nasty :) 

I hope to resume Sunderlanding soon. Any day now.

• Like 4

On 10/11/2019 at 10:53 PM, CedB said:

We had a long weekend with some friends that have a Ski Chalet in Abondance, French Alps. Not being a fan of fixing slippery planks to my feet on slippery ground we've not been before as we had to wait until they went when it was green. Like this:

48869542061_9a2fa6ae51_z.jpg

Ah! 

So it's not white all the way through?

I always wondered what was underneath........

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Apologies for the lack of updates chaps. The Doc has put me on antibiotics for the open cyst (yuk) and, according to NHS online, some of the side effects are nausea, bloating and diarrhoea. Great. They don't mention the flatulence, so I won't either. Pardon me…

To quote George Takei - Oh my!

Chris

• Haha 1

On 14/10/2019 at 10:25, Fritag said:

Ah! 

So it's not white all the way through?

I always wondered what was underneath........

:D …and now you know what that scraping noise is when you ski over a roof.

On 14/10/2019 at 19:34, dogsbody said:

To quote George Takei - Oh my!

Chris

Sorry Chris - getting more 'sociable', slowly :D 

On 14/10/2019 at 20:10, giemme said:

Get well soon, Ced. :thumbsup2:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - Off the drugs tomorrow so hopefully back to the bench in anger after then :) 

On 14/10/2019 at 22:50, hendie said:

Phew.... that was lucky!

Saw a bunch of updates and thought for a moment there we'd had an outbreak of modeling 

Carry on.

Not yet Alan, not yet :) 

On 14/10/2019 at 23:04, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Modeling ? ... Whats this modeling Malarkey now ? 

I've forgotten Dennis but had a little reminder this morning (see below) :) 

On 15/10/2019 at 07:19, Fritag said:

As you should.  Personally, I can't be doing with these slow modellers............:blush:

:rofl2: Thanks Steve 

A little bit done this morning:

48913210707_9bfe2d364d_z.jpg

Pathetic. Hopefully I'll be back to full speed soon.

Sorry about the scraping noises in the background - we finally saw sense and got a man in to decorate the bedroom. New carpet next week ready for the visitors; PC and Cookie arriving two weeks on Friday and Navy Bird the week after - exciting!

• Like 15

Glad to see that you’re feeling up to doing something again, however small.

Re-assembled my desk yesterday, but something’s not quite right. Oh I know, it’s not cluttered and untidy enough, I’ll have to do something about that before normal service can resume.

John.

• Haha 4

Thanks John :) 

Finished the antibiotics yesterday so am I off the drugs now? No. Flu and Pneumonia jabs this morning and feeling a bit limp now :( 

Before I went though I had some mojo, unusually masking, and got this far before the jabs:

48922500243_bdf533aea5_z.jpg

If my arms stop aching I might get some more done later…

• Like 15

Very nice masking.

We had our Flu jabs yesterday. SWMBO sometimes reacts badly so she got something from the pharmacist and has a small lump only, but being of sturdy peasant stock I have had no reaction at all (yet).

Hope you feel better soon.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, giemme said:

Sorry to hear you're not feeling good, Ced.

Nice masking though 👏

Ciao

13 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Very nice masking.

We had our Flu jabs yesterday. SWMBO sometimes reacts badly so she got something from the pharmacist and has a small lump only, but being of sturdy peasant stock I have had no reaction at all (yet).

Hope you feel better soon.

John

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Hope you start to feel better soon Ced, rough old month all told.

My but that's quality masking on them turrets. 

Great job. :thumbsup2:

Thanks Giorgio, John and Tony :) Still feeling a bit wobbly this morning and one arm is a bit sore. Pathetic.

I did get the masking finished on the turrets though after pondering this:

48928458041_b5e62a1c9f_z.jpg

The rear of the rear turret has masks but there's no framing on the turret itself and this doesn't look right does it?

48928483371_2c9e04716d_z.jpg

it won't be very visibly when fitted anyway:

48928490341_4d644133aa_z.jpg

…so I think I'll leave it off.

Quick check that Bill's Dad fits in OK before I finish painting him:

48927977908_7c6b6964c6_z.jpg

• Like 20

The back of the FN tail turrets was normally metal sheet, holding 2 sliding doors that the gunner closed once he was in situ - I reckon you're probably right to leave those masks off, although Google has failed to give me a definitive answer...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking really good so far Ced,...... re the rear turret masking I would remove the masking from the rear part,...... looks like Italeri have got mixed up with the earlier turret. Here are some pics which may help?;

Duxford-Mk-V-14-later-turret-late-Mk-II-

sunderland-late-style-rear-turret.jpg

Sunderland-slipway.jpg

raaf-sunderland-P0003b.jpg

Sund-RB-U-1.jpg

Hope these help mate,..... keep up the good work,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear you'feeling crappy Ced, but then it was self induced. Reminds me of when I had to get jabs to go to Africa. I went to RAF Halton, where the tropical diseases unit was and got 2 in one arm and 3 in the other. I went back to work but started to feel really crappy so drove home. That remains the only time I have ever got a puncture while driving and had to change the wheel. I could barely move my arms let alone loosen the nuts, and it was on a tiny country road too, with very bendy bits. I didn't feel good, or safe!

Ian

• Sad 3

Thanks Rick, Tony and Tony - great references thanks! :) 

Masking off then:

48934487911_01a28e8368_z.jpg

18 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Sorry to hear you'feeling crappy Ced, but then it was self induced. Reminds me of when I had to get jabs to go to Africa. I went to RAF Halton, where the tropical diseases unit was and got 2 in one arm and 3 in the other. I went back to work but started to feel really crappy so drove home. That remains the only time I have ever got a puncture while driving and had to change the wheel. I could barely move my arms let alone loosen the nuts, and it was on a tiny country road too, with very bendy bits. I didn't feel good, or safe!

Ian

Thanks Ian :) Reminds me of my RAF jabs - only two in each arm but the whole squadron was done at the same time passing down a gauntlet of jabbers. Efficient!

Arms are mostly working again this morning but I've spent my time booking hotels for 'the tour'. Hopefully I can publish our itinerary soon… not long now.

I need to get a bomb rack done and fitted internally for Bill's Dad to fiddle with, then I think I can close up.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Reminds me of my RAF jabs

Me too - not good memories though, the yellow fever one made my arm swell up like a tennis ball - rather different to the 'small lump' the wielder of the needle said I 'might' get! Took over a fortnight to go down!

Nicely masked turrets there Ced!

Keith

• Thanks 1

I hope  this helps a little (or lot, more is best)

The back of  the rear turret from inside (Hendon)

Looks like sheet metal with doors to me

5-Ace-Hendon-255.jpg

Not sure who the chap is, looks a tad lost to me

And whilst I am in the mood to share, starboard racks, loaded

5-Ace-Hendon-250.jpg

And ditto port

5-Ace-Hendon-251.jpg

And some clever interior gubbins to make movements happen

I think

5-Ace-Hendon-252.jpg

And because somebody has to drive, the front from behind

5-Ace-Hendon-257.jpg