Short Sunderland Mk III - Italeri 1/72

CedB

24 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

As a yank I'm a bit curious ? What the heck is weetabix ? 

It's an almost inedible substance which purports to be a breakfast cereal in the UK.    It has a half life akin to that of Tellurium-128, particularly the following morning.

Try chewing on some off cuts of chipboard and you'll get approximately the same flavor and slightly more nutritional value.  Milk was optional but really only served to prolong the extreme physical torment.

eng_pm_Weetabix-2782_2.jpg

The closest I've come to it over here is Walmarts own brand cereals.  Simply empty out the contents and chew on the cardboard box - though that doesn't have quite the same texture of Weetabix. 

Their ads were pretty good though - the tag line being "Have you had your Weetabix?"

I was a shreddies*1 *2  and hot milk lad.  

*1  Shredded Wheat Ced. Shredded Wheat!   

*2  Note to Americans: Shreddies refers to A] Shredded Wheat, the breakfast cereal, and also to B]  Underwear. Generally underwear worn (sic) by males, especially when worn for several days, turned inside out, or subject to gale force winds, torrential downpours, and/or landslides.  Womens underwear is typically not referred to as shreddies, though historically, there have been several reported instances (mainly in villages nearby RAF bases).  If women of the female persuasion are suspected of wearing shreddies, they are best avoided and most definitely not to be messed with.

• Haha 15

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks for the explanation. 

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

As a yank I'm a bit curious ? What the heck is weetabix ? 

You should be able to find Weetabix at your local Jewel-Osco.  If it isn’t in the cereal aisle it should be in the hardware section- either by the knife sharpening stones and sanding blocks or by the rat poisons. 😉

Lou in Idaho  

Edited by louiex2
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

Hendie, you’ve clearly been in the USA far too long.  Weetabix is a Prince among breakfast cereals; it certainly knocks the Hell out of 90% of the sugar-laden, erzatz-“chocolate”-smeared American offerings.  How anyone raised on Scots haute cuisine can diss Weetabix is a mystery...

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

Thanks Bill, John and Keith for the comments on the bridge - well worth a visit IMHO (as is Dave's workshop!) :) 

Depth charges. Here's the picture again on this page:

Short Sunderland Depth Charges (Image Ref: A08147P)

19 hours ago, perdu said:

I think I many have a few of those, or reasonable lookeylikes

I will search this afternoon

Thanks Bill - I've had a look through my stash but I don't have anything. Just to recap, 54.8" total length, 37" body, 11" diameter.

iModelKit says:

48832646707_3d5dd4d9f8.jpg

That's 13mm long and 3.88mm diameter so I've probably got some rod or sprue that I could start with if it's the right thing… the kit parts are too big and not cylindrical but the tail ring looks about right.

15 hours ago, hendie said:

hmmmm.  Them don't look like those or was that not what you meant?

hend the obtuse

15 hours ago, perdu said:

Those devices are no more than twenty four of your ancient imperial inches Ced

Could be smoke or flares I suppose, dad's no longer available to ask, regrettably

Our Hendie ain't bad at estimitation is he? 

15 hours ago, hendie said:

I'm thinking that at 4 and a half feet long by a foot in diameter and probably not built from NERF material, those things are going to be darned heavy and prolly not manageable by one person. 

At least not until they've had their Weetabix

Well… they are 250lb so probably a two man / Weetabix job but if you look at the picture… 11" diameter divided by pi (or Weetabix) is 3.5" radius. My hand is about 3" around and 8" long when posed like that so the diameter looks about right but they're too short? The tail looks right though - three rods lightly welded and a tail of the right diameter.

What do we think? 

I'll find some bits and scratch something up.

Weetabix and Shreddies? I do eat Weetabix from time to time but Shreddies? Anything's edible with enough sugar. What's that? Sugar's deadly is it? Oh right, back to eating cardboard then :D 

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I found these awhile ago when doing my RAAF Catalina.  These are definitely a  Sunderland though. 

[snip pics]

i dont remember where i found them or if a member here sent me the photo’s. I also found that eduard and CMK make set’s in 1/72.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2017/reviews/accessories/cmk7352reviewmd_1.htm

I hope these help in some fashion ? 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis :) They look like the ones on the Sunderland at Hendon. Sadly I think they're later than the 250lb ones fitted on the Mk III as they don't have the 'three rod' fixings. Looking at Chris' post below…

13 hours ago, dogsbody said:

From British Bombs and Fuses:

[snip some pages]

48833042171_d930ce012f_b.jpg

Chris

Thanks Chris :) It looks from the page I've left there that the DCs have cylindrical bodies unlike the kit parts:

48832484631_88c39fb4ee.jpg

… which I think are bombs. Your page also says that Mk III DCs have the three rod tail connection and that the Mk XIX and XX have three fins - perhaps the Hendon ones are those?

[More Weetabix comments - thanks guys, keeps the thread going! Thanks Lou for the shopping tip]

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Wow! I missed a day again and look where you’ve got to. 

Fascinating video Ced, and I didn’t know that Weetabix could be used as depth charges. You learn something everyday on BM. :dog:

John

:rofl2:

Bill's 'first Dad' has been completed and put in the display cabinet waiting for something with wheels and 50 cals. His replacement has been primed and will (hopefully) be posed fiddling with an internal bomb rack:

48835377288_ce8ca0cc4c_z.jpg

Not as handsome is he? You should have seen him before clean up!

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

To recap Ced I do not believe those things are depth charges

I know submarines are a bit delicate but those things look way too flimsy to even scratch paint

Flares is my guess, it is a crying shame that we no longer have the expertise of a Debs who was well informed on the dark arts of the nautical damage scenario

I would guess them to be no more than ten or eleven inches in diameter at best 

NO ON REASSESSMENT LET'S SAY EIGHT INCHES OR SO

The things I have found are leftover depth charges from the Catalina model, only found one so far but here in my chaotic universe the search goes on

Edited by perdu
feasibility study
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Was just going to suggest the same as Crisp - see diagram in the link. Both flares and smoke floats are labelled in the upper fuselage racks. A bit of a Boys own diagram!

vvfdafabvbtgfv.jpg

Terry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

To recap Ced I do not believe those things are depth charges

I know submarines are a bit delicate but those things look way too flimsy to even scratch paint

Flares is my guess, it is a crying shame that we no longer have the expertise of a Debs who was well informed on the dark arts of the nautical damage scenario

I would guess them to be no more than ten or eleven inches in diameter at best 

NO ON REASSESSMENT LET'S SAY EIGHT INCHES OR SO

The things I have found are leftover depth charges from the Catalina model, only found one so far but here in my chaotic universe the search goes on

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Im with Bill on this one Ced. No way can they be 250 pounders. I reckon he has the dimension about right too. Flares are almost a certainty I'd say.

Terry 

32 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Either flares or smoke floats, at a guess

Ok, OK, I get it! Thanks guys :) 

Despite another 30 minutes searching I can't find any more information on the depth charges - Chris' post is good for the body (of the charge) but not the tail…

Bill look what I have:

48835800813_a7d1bf692c_z.jpg

Still not the Mk III DC. Rats. Thanks for looking though.

28 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Was just going to suggest the same as Crisp - see diagram in the link. Both flares and smoke floats are labelled in the upper fuselage racks. A bit of a Boys own diagram!

[snip diagram]

Terry

Thanks Terry - great cutaway and saved! It is a Sunderland I though and this kit is a Mk III. Despite that it does show that the flares and smoke floats were stored away from the bay :) 

How did I get to this? No idea. I think it was when we started talking about Bill's Dad and how many depth charges were carried. Then it all got out of hand…

I have found some part tree / sprue of the right size:

48836391502_1deab39095_z.jpg

… and chopped off a bit:

48836432062_26dba4daf8_z.jpg

If I did another seven and put them in the mini lathe to make the tail cone I could… make a mess. Alternatively:

3910013.JPG

I could just fit the bombs from the kit.

Sound like a plan?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

What do we think? 

I think it's surprising that no one has mentioned how much more pleasure can be derived from having sausages rather than Weetabix for breakfast..... :eat:

K

PS - why does the creature from the caramel lagoon have a saucepan on his head....?

6 hours ago, CedB said:

… and chopped off a bit:

48836432062_26dba4daf8_z.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 9/27/2019 at 10:12 PM, TheBaron said:

Yon trench(ant) beast.

It grows ever larger at your hands Ced.

Vivacious anchorage and industry over them last few pages. :clap:

One phrase to haunt you though: 'plate racks'.

How are you going to build the plate racks? :winkgrin:

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.134645297.1724027

After seeing this post, I now imagine the Sunderland as possibly being the only British combat aircraft to have a steward on board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I think it's surprising that no one has mentioned how much more pleasure can be derived from having sausages rather than Weetabix for breakfast..... :eat:

Or better still a sausage and bacon bap .......... as a very occasional break from porridge of course!

Terry

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CedB said:

3910013.JPG

Sound like a plan?

Now I'm no expert, but those look more like your 250lb depth charges to me! Flat nose and no impact detonator!

Ian

• Like 2

Ced, what you have there, in the kit parts, is an anti-submarine bomb. Those are different than depth charges. Below are taken from the same source as my last posting.

48837574347_d164837798_b.jpg

48837399906_11bb678afb_b.jpg

48837574412_dd1093e3bf_b.jpg

48837399966_70a0b1c702_b.jpg

48837026588_64b200dcd2_b.jpg

48837026618_635217f7ed_b.jpg

48837408246_ae9de80172_b.jpg

48837034698_452e8fac8a_b.jpg

48837034713_423e3bdc03_b.jpg

48837582537_2ff07639f7_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CedB said:

3910013.JPG

Sound like a plan?

The Airfix Whitley VII kit has an extra few bits with the radar aerials and a handful of what could be these very bombs/ depth charges.  I may have used mine, but others may have them spare?

Tim

Tim

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Hendie, you’ve clearly been in the USA far too long.  Weetabix is a Prince among breakfast cereals; it certainly knocks the Hell out of 90% of the sugar-laden, erzatz-“chocolate”-smeared American offerings.  How anyone raised on Scots haute cuisine can diss Weetabix is a mystery...

You are of course quite right Crisp.  In my defense, it was an open target and I couldn't resist.

• Haha 7