Short Sunderland Mk III - Italeri 1/72

CedB

8 hours ago, CedB said:

current state:

48804044731_3209482bd6_z.jpg

I thought  that was the finished article - a nice, if somewhat bright, sky colour as a background for your ever expanding air arsenal Ced....!!

8 hours ago, CedB said:

I have some 'No more Cracks for Ceilings'

Now, if the Kleer doesn;t work on the Sunderland 'panel lines', remember I mentioned Polyfilla....!

K

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

That’s going to be a difficult (bedroom wall ) colour to cover. Might I suggest black?

:rofl2: Thanks John. I'm told that the Polycell 'Crack Free Ceilings' and the '3 in 1 basecoat' will solve all my DIY problems. :hmmm:

3 hours ago, Learstang said:

Isn't that blue the colour the Soviets used on the interiors of some of their post-war aircraft?

Regards,

Jason

:rofl2: Thanks Jason

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovely progress on those windows. Nice fire place too. 🥰 

Thanks Johnny :) The fireplace (original to the house) is the one part of the room that's going to remain silver. Hopefully.

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

I thought  that was the finished article - a nice, if somewhat bright, sky colour as a background for your ever expanding air arsenal Ced....!!

Now, if the Kleer doesn;t work on the Sunderland 'panel lines', remember I mentioned Polyfilla....!

K

Thanks Keith :D Now there's an idea… although the Klear seems to be working (I hope):

48807557191_6e0c0fed92_z.jpg

It's certainly running nicely along the trenches. I'm actually wondering if I should try adding some colour to the Klear to provide some 'pre-shading' :hmmm:

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

You could always tile it to look like an Italeri Sunderland Ced?

'Helpful of Galway'

Thanks Tony, helpful :D 

Little circles of OHP film:

48807629772_d0fa192d46_z.jpg

… have been stuck in the new holes with canopy glue. Messy. Hopefully it'll dry clear and give a, ahem, weathered look.

• Like 9

Greetings from the Dardanelles!

Lovely job Ced, but are the portholes correct? According to the pic you posted the middle opening one is below the rear of the cockpit. OK on the left side, but on the right it's too far back!

I hope it's just perspective.....

Ian

Thanks Ian - have a good break!

Windows? Damn, spotted :( Count the windows, there's one missing…

I noticed that when I was inserting the tube but too late, I'd already drilled some holes - a case of all the right windows, just not necessarily in the right order…

The OHP film worked OK though:

48808075696_3fa4db5b9d_z.jpg

Not so the DIY. I applied the stuff to the ceiling and the stuff we put on the ceiling last time has peeled off in places. Rats

Should have got a man in…

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

I have 3 daughters with a four year 4 month gap between the oldest and the youngest. They are all exactly 2 years and 2 months apart. They were also all born on the 23rd day of the month.

So imagine it when they were all teenagers and they all wanted different colours in their bedrooms. One was top half purple, bottom half yellow. Another had green and blue and the other a different purple and orange. It all gave me weird flashbacks of the late 70's. Trippy stuff!

Chris

• Haha 9

On 28/09/2019 at 18:04, keefr22 said:

I hate to do this but - 'told you so'....!! :tease: :)

K

22 hours ago, hendie said:

did you?

really ?

You're quite right Keith, you did. No hendie, really he did! :D 

On 28/09/2019 at 19:49, dogsbody said:

I have 3 daughters with a four year 4 month gap between the oldest and the youngest. They are all exactly 2 years and 2 months apart. They were also all born on the 23rd day of the month.

So imagine it when they were all teenagers and they all wanted different colours in their bedrooms. One was top half purple, bottom half yellow. Another had green and blue and the other a different purple and orange. It all gave me weird flashbacks of the late 70's. Trippy stuff!

Chris

Chris I hope you've never had to re-decorate… :) 

On 28/09/2019 at 22:20, keefr22 said:
On 28/09/2019 at 19:49, dogsbody said:

They are all exactly 2 years and 2 months apart. They were also all born on the 23rd day of the month.

That's pretty amazing! :)

Keith

On 28/09/2019 at 22:28, dogsbody said:

That's very precise family planning! Very precise.

Chris

Very precise indeed and, as Keith says, amazing. We had our two closer together than that to avoid new baby / old toddler problems; 1 year 9 months between them which means 1 year before we, er, planned :) 

Not much done today as it's been the annual Scouts' County shooting competition. 8 o'clock start (with a bacon sarnie) and then eight hours standing around watching the Scouts pop their airguns at various targets. It's the longest I've stood for ages. Sore feet but good fun and the rain stayed away except for a downpour around lunchtime.

I have been fiddling and the crew have now been inserted with minor surgery:

48816570658_817b99cf20_z.jpg

48817089002_a045f5679d_z.jpg

48816936281_a970887305_z.jpg

The OHP film windows are pretty clear:

48816593623_f86a7c11cc_z.jpg

… and I'm happy with the slight rims around the opening windows so time to glue the floors in. As usual I wanted to glue them to one side making sure the fuselage would still go together. Can you see here that the floor fits into the other side's locating steps?

48816978166_0916eaf0c9_z.jpg

Just. The front floor with its stairs helps a lot so that's been glued to one side as well and the whole lot clamped to dry overnight:

48817187832_453c39c316_z.jpg

The pilots look pretty happy about it:

48817030221_10c5fc10a6_z.jpg

Well, one of them anyway…

• Like 12

Hello Ced, looks nice. Back here after a busy? (err, more exhausting and functioning) week  with things, that wouldn't have touched my personal life so far for more than quite a while.. Nothing really dramatic., but I  hope, that I don't get on anyone's tits, when I grow/I'm old . Very difficult theme in all aspects at/on any places from what I've seen so far at 48. Anyway, I will look for your previous posts soon. Cheers Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Too late! The rooms have already been repainted but not by me. I hate painted walls, etc. I'll help with set-up and I'll do the edging bot the missus does the main paint work. When she's done, I'll get out the brad nailer and redo the base boards. Other than that, I avoid room painting.

Chris

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Mmm...a bacon sarnie. Me please.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

I'm sure there will be several when we meet up Bill :) 

11 hours ago, hendie said:

sorry, all I can see is a big white lily.    Gardening were you ?

Gardening? What! Not me matey… :) 

11 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Ced, looks nice. Back here after a busy? (err, more exhausting and functioning) week  with things, that wouldn't have touched my personal life so far for more than quite a while.. Nothing really dramatic., but I  hope, that I don't get on anyone's tits, when I grow/I'm old . Very difficult theme in all aspects at/on any places from what I've seen so far at 48. Anyway, I will look for your previous posts soon. Cheers Benedikt

Ah, getting old… not enjoyable but so much better than the alternative! Speaking personally the bits of your body that stop working (brain included) can sometimes cause frustration and it's tricky not to let that influence your interactions with others. Hopefully things will get better for your current situation Ben :) 

10 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Too late! The rooms have already been repainted but not by me. I hate painted walls, etc. I'll help with set-up and I'll do the edging bot the missus does the main paint work. When she's done, I'll get out the brad nailer and redo the base boards. Other than that, I avoid room painting.

Chris

Good plan Chris - I need to get back to that ceiling in a minute and it's not something I'm looking forward to! :) 

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Nice progress, Ced :clap:  You're gonna have to do quite some filling to sort that central seam, but it's an Italeri kit, what would you expect? :shrug: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) It does look bad in that photo but actually the seam's pretty good - it will need taping at the top as it's one of those irritating warpy things that makes the sides bow up when clamped. Fingers crossed though.

Standing up all day yesterday has made me achey and grumpy this morning, not helped by starting on the fiddly turrets.

48819463488_935c0db852_z.jpg

The kit parts should lead to a fairly realistic result but getting them together is a pain. I've decided to glue in the the left post for this:

48819488373_91717c92a4_z.jpg

…making sure it's upright and true. Took ages and lots of Anglo-Saxon. When the paint's dry I'll insert the gun, curse some more and glue in the other support.

Other turret bits have been painted too:

48820049662_62bc0acfef_z.jpg

Doors have been glued in and painted so the internals are complete:

48819462288_82639ba598_z.jpg

It looks like there are some bits still to do but there aren't - in this version I guess the crew had to leap from section to section :) 

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, CedB said:

It does look bad in that photo but actually the seam's pretty good - it will need taping at the top as it's one of those irritating warpy things that makes the sides bow up when clamped. Fingers crossed though.

I thought you had already glued the whole stuff :phew: 

Nice job with the turrets so far :clap: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Thanks Giorgio - no worries :) 

More fiddly turrets. These nice PE supports would be great if you could stop the guns rocking and knocking them off:

48821216746_e2fae43ec1_z.jpg

Grrr. In the end I glued the guns to the central support using the clear parts as a support and, when that was dry, attached the PE with CA thin:

48823159173_e5486c16a8_z.jpg

Then the PE cartridge shuts were bent and attached:

48823679182_fe737fdbb7_z.jpg

Getting there…

• Like 12

53 minutes ago, CedB said:

fiddly turrets

Sounds like an upmarket Fawlty Towers  Ced.  Started a new endeavor  'ave we?  issat why we're seeing the decorating shots?

13 hours ago, CedB said:

yesterday has made me achey and grumpy this morning

ah.. modeling yourself on old Basil I see.

nice progress Ced ... at a leisurely pace for you no doubt, but still lightning fast for us mortals

• Haha 7

I hope you intend adding my dad and a few of the other crew members in there Ced

Dad would have been lurking around the armaments bay in readiness to add new ordnance once the ready use ones had been "bombs away"-ed

Or down in the galley back behind the flight deck rustling up the bacon butties mayhaps  :)

TAKES OFF CRITICISING HEAD

Looking way better already than I have come to expect from Italeri, very nice mate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

the PE cartridge shuts were bent and attached:

48823679182_fe737fdbb7_z.jpg

Why the sad eyes turret?

Nice man give you brass chutes for your tears...

• Haha 9

8 hours ago, hendie said:

Sounds like an upmarket Fawlty Towers  Ced.  Started a new endeavor  'ave we?  issat why we're seeing the decorating shots?

ah.. modeling yourself on old Basil I see.

nice progress Ced ... at a leisurely pace for you no doubt, but still lightning fast for us mortals

Thanks Hendie :) Feeling a little less grumpy today, thankfully! I might even do some more decorating…

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Cunning move for the gun mounting :clap:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

14 minutes ago, perdu said:

I hope you intend adding my dad and a few of the other crew members in there Ced

Dad would have been lurking around the armaments bay in readiness to add new ordnance once the ready use ones had been "bombs away"-ed

Or down in the galley back behind the flight deck rustling up the bacon butties mayhaps  :)

TAKES OFF CRITICISING HEAD

Looking way better already than I have come to expect from Italeri, very nice mate

Bill's Dad… :hmmm:

How about this chap?

48825069718_d215d3d88c_n.jpg

Nasty Airfix personnel plastic, but has to be done for my mate… try sanding off the flash. Nope, just roughs up that nasty 'skin' they make these things out of. A few swipes of the #10A and a coat of rat skin flesh and:

48825652997_50bc52acfd_z.jpg

Better. He'll give me something to do while I'm waiting for the Klear to fill the panel lines.

12 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Why the sad eyes turret?

Nice man give you brass chutes for your tears...

Aah, sank you glass hopper :D

Wrong turret bottom. Correct one has been removed from the tree:

48825385882_608f8e21b5_z.jpg

I've also blasted some more primer over the Klear'd bottom wings:

48825417021_7ec54f918a_z.jpg

48825572087_f0506f1be2_z.jpg

Better, but they're still there.

I think I will try colouring the Klear with 'some grey' and go over them again.

• Like 7