“Thomson Boeing 737-800” in 1/144

I present my Zvezda ‘Thomson’ B737-800 G-FDZA in her livery prior to the TUI respray and in a Cold/Dark state on Stand 110 ready to take Skiers away later to GNB. 

The build was done OOB, with after market decals from Greg at DrawDecal. The kit itself is great, and I find it goes together really well without the need for a lot of filling. I quite like this scheme and have had the decals for over a year, but always been to scared to make it for fear of getting it wrong.  I opted for the scimitar winglets, I wish I had added them later though, as I often kept breaking off the lower section during decaling 😩, lesson learnt though. 

This was also my very first attempt at weathering, and taking some advice from fellow modellers, opted for a little is best approach as generally Airliners don’t tend to get too dirty... I used a HB pencil and simply dragged back using my finger to create the grim effect marks that often appear on the wings and the moving parts thereof. I quite like the effect, but please feel free to help me with any other tips 😃

The masking was was a task in itself, and I hope I have done it some justice. The fuselage blue was my own mix of Revells Aqua colours 50 and 04. The dark blue is Revell 54 and the light blue on the tail and winglets is Humbrol 47. Fuselage is Halfords appliance white, and the wings and stabilisers are Halfords Racking grey with silver leading edges. The kit was brush painted as I still can’t get the hang of airbrushing (one day 😂). I had to paint the landing lights (no decal provided) and pitot tubes by hand as well, so please don’t look too closely 😬.

Please also don’t judge my homemade baseplate 😬, it’s not great I know but I think it will help with the overall presentation...

Thomson 737-800

Thomson 737-800

Thomson 737-800

Thomson 737-800

Thomson 737-800

Thomson 737-800

Thomson 737-800

Thank you for looking and as always any feedback and comments are welcome 😃,

Regards,

Alistair

Edited by Scotsman07
  • Like 33

She's a beauty ! Just a hard working, bring home the bacon workhorse you see every day.

Maybe a few oil stains on the ramp would be perfect  🙂

• Thanks 1

Very nice indeed Alistair. It’s an attractive scheme and your masking looks spot on. I wouldn’t have known it was brush painted if you hadn’t mentioned it. I really like your weathering which is effective without being overpowering. :goodjob: 

Looking forward to your next airliner.  

Dave G

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FLCH said:

She's a beauty ! Just a hard working, bring home the bacon workhorse you see every day.

Maybe a few oil stains on the ramp would be perfect  🙂

Thank you 😃. I was thinking about doing that but wasn’t sure how to create a oil/grease look using paint for the ramp, or what with etc. If anyone has any tips that would be greatly received 👍🏻

Hi Alistair,

Very nice! I see these all the time over my house coming from and going to MAN. 

Well done with the masking it's tricky to mask a smooth and gentle curve like that but yours looks good.

I like the weathered wings. However clean airlines keep their fuselages they very rarely seem to clean the wings so they're very often streaked with oil and grot just like yours!

Can I recommend these for any future builds

https://www.authentic-airliner-decals.de/epages/17895661.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17895661/Products/D144-BO-00

I always use them now and I think they look really good along with the photo real windows of course!

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Scotsman07 said:

Thank you 😃. I was thinking about doing that but wasn’t sure how to create a oil/grease look using paint for the ramp, or what with etc. If anyone has any tips that would be greatly received 👍🏻

It doesn't have to be specific at all as different planes park and get serviced, maybe stains under the engines wherever they maybe, for oil spilling on the ramp, or hydraulic fluid spills, sometimes even tyre skids as last minute adjustments have to be made because the initial approach and speed  was all wrong.......Me ???    Noooo never made that blunder before in 30 years of driving on the ground......... 🙂

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Very nice indeed Alistair. It’s an attractive scheme and your masking looks spot on. I wouldn’t have known it was brush painted if you hadn’t mentioned it. I really like your weathering which is effective without being overpowering. :goodjob: 

Looking forward to your next airliner.  

Dave G

Thank you Dave, I currently have a couple of A320s that are nearing completion... one I hope to post to RFI either later today or in the coming days.

Alistair

8 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Alistair,

Very nice! I see these all the time over my house coming from and going to MAN. 

Well done with the masking it's tricky to mask a smooth and gentle curve like that but yours looks good.

I like the weathered wings. However clean airlines keep their fuselages they very rarely seem to clean the wings so they're very often streaked with oil and grot just like yours!

Can I recommend these for any future builds

https://www.authentic-airliner-decals.de/epages/17895661.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17895661/Products/D144-BO-00

I always use them now and I think they look really good along with the photo real windows of course!

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you Ian, I do like the Thomson/TUI livery. Agreed on the weathering... the wings seem to accumulate most of the ‘muck’. Thank you for link for Landing Lights, they look a lot better than my hand painted ones 😂. Thank you for looking and commenting 👍🏻.

Alistair

13 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Looks awesome, it kind of makes me regret having not continued with airliners instead of going to military planes.

Thank you, you should do a few Airliners 👍🏻👍🏻. I must admit I don’t have any military planes in my collection though.

Alistair

Very nice Boeing - I do like seeing subtle weathering on airliners!

As to oil etc stains on bases, I use Citadel acrylic washes. Dip a brush in, then gently tap it over the area you want the stains. I then dab it gently with tissue to take most of it off again which leaves the suggestion of subtle dried puddles of fluids. I use different colours of washes like sepia, mud and black (I don't recall the daft Citadel names for them!) as this gives the impression of different aged staining.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Very nice Boeing - I do like seeing subtle weathering on airliners!

As to oil etc stains on bases, I use Citadel acrylic washes. Dip a brush in, then gently tap it over the area you want the stains. I then dab it gently with tissue to take most of it off again which leaves the suggestion of subtle dried puddles of fluids. I use different colours of washes like sepia, mud and black (I don't recall the daft Citadel names for them!) as this gives the impression of different aged staining.

Keith

Thank you Keith, appreciate your feedback. I might give that a go and see how I get on, I think it could add some extra realness to my baseboard 😃.

Alistair

• Like 1

Nice 737, Alistair! The painting is well done...I would recommend that if you do want to become proficient with the airbrush, practice, practice, practice. Your paint mixing is bold and beautiful! You've taken some great steps to insure a great looking finish. Nice job. And I like the weathering...she looks like she's just about ready for her bath! 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ben Hartmann said:

I think you were slightly heavy handed with the weathering, they were certainly never that dirty when I worked on them.

I've attached some pics of the real deal

Best Rgds

Ben

36249854-10155728889912947-1193645980780
36257360-10155728890927947-4986650192515
36275771-10155728888897947-5874959268821
60343273-10156452343632947-2132417246323

Oh wow, they are really cool photos thank you for sharing 😃... it was my first attempt at weathering... it may be a bit ‘wild’ but sometimes they can get like this... 

48780531002_3772baff65_b.jpg

Regards,

Alistair

• Like 1

Some airlines keep their planes cleaner than others. You can get a pretty hefty fine from the CAA here in the UK if you are caught with an excessively dirty aeroplane (£20,000 I believe) I still think Google is probably not the best example to use when researching any particular subject matter, as I find it a little too generic.

Extra points for attempting any sort of weathering in 1/144, it’s not the easiest scale to work with by any stretch of the imagination and I applaud anyone that undertakes any sort of weathering, aftermarket or scratch building in this scale. You’re a braver man than me! 

Rgds

Ben 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ben Hartmann said:

Some airlines keep their planes cleaner than others. You can get a pretty hefty fine from the CAA here in the UK if you are caught with an excessively dirty aeroplane (£20,000 I believe) I still think Google is probably not the best example to use when researching any particular subject matter, as I find it a little too generic.

Extra points for attempting any sort of weathering in 1/144, it’s not the easiest scale to work with by any stretch of the imagination and I applaud anyone that undertakes any sort of weathering, aftermarket or scratch building in this scale. You’re a braver man than me! 

Rgds

Ben 

Thank you, it is tricky I must admit. I think I will use more real photos next time to help assist me with weathering... I am working on a 787 at the moment and have compared a lot of photos of the wings and only subtle weathering will be required for this...

Regards,

Alistair

• Thanks 1