Yes, it appears we will do well in your century, Captain......USS Enterprise - "The Space Seed" with S.S Botany Bay

Taking a break from from the Beverley whilst waiting for Mikro Mir to deliver the missing engines I decided to dive into the stash and build the little kit.

Polar Lights Snap kit USS Enterprise "Space Seed" edition with the S.S Botany Bay.

48755097906_40145b8724_z.jpg

It's a nice little kit and I was looking to light it up as well, but from the lack of pre moulded windows present in the primary and secondary hull's I decided against it. Plus I have seen a few build where this has been attempted an it looked a nightmare....

Obligatory spru shot....with options to either build the production model seen in the show or the Mirror Universe ISS Enterprise or "The Cage" pilot episode Enterprise

48755097636_8613b3151c_z.jpg

The decal sheet is pretty decent with mirror universe options and decals for the windows too.

48755096961_4c62ba07bf_z.jpg

Saucer section is coming together quickly with clear parts installed

48755096606_984f2222d8_z.jpg

To protect the clear parts as well as the sensor array I have coated them in latex mascol for the moment

48755291632_bc51e74fb5_z.jpg

Buttoned up and snapped together quite nicely, though you are left with a real nasty seem line all around the saucer section.....time to get that filler out and start sanding.....

48754772253_7b0dbca820_z.jpg

Whilst the filler was drying, I made a start on the nacelles, again really easy to put the ancillary parts slotting into place nicely. The Buzzard collectors were tinted red with Tamiya's X-27 red tint. and left to dry. I suspect that there with be a LOT of further sanding, filling, more saning to get the nacelles and pilons to sit and look just right.

This was as far as I got last night before life admin took over....

48755095041_648ef242ce_z.jpg

I am looking forward to seeing the finished article with this build, plenty of reference material available, with a load from Doug Drexler on the Book of Face,

Some of his reference pictures as a model builder for Star Trek over the years is just phenomenal....  Doug Drexler - Facebook

Hints, thoughts, tips as always are most welcomed :)

• Like 5

• Mikey-1980 changed the title to Yes, it appears we will do well in your century, Captain......USS Enterprise - "The Space Seed" with S.S Botany Bay

Small update....

The seem line around the primary hull was filled and sanded again to I hope a smooth finish....no doubt when it is primed it will show up with a seem line 😕

48776709377_60bb9b75fc_z.jpg

The nacelles were buttoned up and fit together really well, just a very prominent seem line all the way through. Small tip, fit the fins after you have sanded back the seem lines as it is an absolute pain to sand.

48776711492_5b91601453_z.jpg

I left the buzzard caps off until all sanding and prepping was complete. Bit of a close up of the seem line

48776710967_f1798a8fbd_z.jpg

48776172583_b0e0075b2c_z.jpg

Seem lines sanded and prepped as best as I could with the buzzard caps glued on.

48776519146_bc1e08e16d_z.jpg

Even though you can see the seem line, it is smooth, but alas will probably show up when painted

48776168583_9f9c811b2b_z.jpg

The nacelle pylons went together well will a HUGE trench of a seem line, now filled and sanded. This issue will come when fitting them as a small amount of trimming is required to fit the nacelles to the pylon and then some more filler.

48776518096_c450896303_z.jpg

Thats as far as I have gotten with the build so far, more probably later in the week as I'm off to Ireland for a few days with work....No doubt these 2 will invade the work bench and have a good sniff around...

Don't be fooled by their cuteness.......

48776706577_0317d2034a_z.jpg

• Like 5

Absolutely!

Trying to get a perfect seem with no visable line is becoming an obsession haha! 

One I can never quite get right. Just when I think it's right, goes to paint and boom! A seem line that would make a USO Pin up girl blush 

• Like 1

Yoda says 'patience do seam lines take'. Brushing the joint with liquid poly cement if the kit is injection moulded can help as the solvent action of the cement means the joint can close and there will be a something at the bottom of the joint for filler to sit on. I would never trust a snap together kit not to have or develop seam lines if not stuck together. It us not unusual for me to re prime at least part of a model where a seam line has not been fully elimated, goes with the hobby I guess. I have just finished the Bandai 1/72nd Tie Fighter and although it snaps together very well and the seams are very tight, I still rang some cement around the joints for a permanent bond. 

• Like 3

It is so disappointing when you think you have a seam/joint line sorted only for it show up when a model is painted.  I have come to the conclusion that a matt primer can hide a line because it does not reflect very much and then e.g. a metallic colour will highlight it. The Enterprise does seem to have some big gaps though. If it is a large gap I use thin plastic card or strip to fill most of the gap. I have found it useful on areas like wing roots where a seam sticks out like a sore thumb.

• Thanks 1

To check and make sure I have the seams firmly in control I usually run a black sharpie pen over it. You could also use a paint pen, but it is a quick way to check to see that it has been put into submission, without resorting to spray cans or airbrush.

• Like 2

Managed a little bit of bench time for the Enterprise, with a few updates on the secondary hull section.

Dry fit revealed some serious gap issues but should be reasonably OK to sort out.

48816450517_2bb229ec79_z.jpg

48816450007_0d77fc2c17_z.jpg

With copious amounts of extra thin liquid poly and grips I managed to reduce the gaps significantly only with the nacelle struts to need a significant amount of filler.

However, I did make a colossal error in that I wanted to see how well the primary hull slotted onto the secondary hull neck. It would appear it fits a little too well and I couldn't remove it...So any sanding of seems just got a hell of a lot harder..oops!

48816295411_3eb2e24d3f_z.jpg

First round of filler and sanding has begun....

48815935153_f31a092f82_z.jpg

The upper section to the secondary hull is proving to be difficult to fill and get smooth...I fear that this will take some time...

48816448112_4bd170b9c6_z.jpg

Deflector dish is left off for ease of painting later on

48816293856_dc62c62837_z.jpg

I also tried a dry fit for the nacelles to see how the would align up. Shouldn't be too difficult, but again lots of filler may be required to improve the fitment.

More to follow when I can.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

However, I did make a colossal error in that I wanted to see how well the primary hull slotted onto the secondary hull neck. It would appear it fits a little too well and I couldn't remove it...So any sanding of seems just got a hell of a lot harder..oops

Ouch! Know too well that feeling! Happened on my Tamiya Do 335. Was test fitting a wing and an unknown-about locking tab decided to do its job and lock it in too early.

Shame to see all those gaps to on a modern kit, esp those struts.

• Like 1

YUGE gaps.....I was thinking of just filling the entire panel section and then sanding it back a smooth along the secondary hull....

I did also notice that the Primary hull is now slightly on the p*ss and tilts very slightly to the right...meh!!! a little softening of the polymer and see if I can tilt it back into place. So much for an easy build eh? haha! 😕

I have pretty much a full week of mid October so I should hopefully get a lot of it done, if not finished by then...

Edited by Mikey-1980

Captains log......supplemental....

Secondary hull filler & sanding now 75% completed with masking of the nacelle buzzard collectors 50% done.....the wonky primary hull is now straight and level with the neck section just about smoothed off now. All with an attention seeking kitten rolling around my ankles and attempting to jump onto the work bench.....

just for fun....a  glorious pic of the Enterprise

spacer.png

If anyone would like to share any pictures they have of your Enterprise builds of just pictures of the ship in general...feel free to :)

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found some bench time on my "week off". In between air port shuttle runs, repairing a water damaged ceiling and fixing guttering I can nw provide an update to the build whilst watching game 3 of the Houston Astros play the New York Yankees during the ALCS playoffs for the baseball world series....

Tonights mission supplemental was to survive wearing a red shirt on an away mission.......that could be an issue....hmmm? 

The new security officer, fresh out of the academy and assigned to the Enterprises embarks on his his first, and possibly ONLY away mission. Warp nacelles were the task for today and they did not want to fit in place. Once they were "encouraged" into place, the gap o the pylon was colossal.

48905271356_1e0124e327_z.jpg

The buzzard collectors were also masked up ready for when she goes into paint... As you can see, rather a large gap...Starboard side

48905481932_cfd9a90a62_z.jpg

And filled

48904749628_3b7e586f6e_z.jpg

Port side

48905270481_b231101d6d_z.jpg

And filled with the Botany Bay in construction. The antenna have been left off for the moment whilst any gaps need filling and sanding. 

48905480587_d1756f7b6e_z.jpg

And here is how she sits so far, naked and almost ready for paint.

48905479637_1352f9e7b7_z.jpg

48905479797_0d7a878b26_z.jpg

Next steps will be to sand and smooth down the filler on the nacelle pylons and finish off the Botany Bay.....

• Like 5

6 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

Just catching up with your build, you have done a great job on it and its looking good. One of my favourite gap fillers is melted sprus in tamiya extra thin, the thicker you make your mix the large the gap it can fill. 

That's an interesting take on gap filling......good success with i I imagine?

she's coming together nicely with work on the engines to re-commence later.....and for a little inspiration....

Captain Spock: Mr. Scott, I understand you're having difficulty with the warp drive. How much time do you require for repair?
Captain Montgomery 'Scotty' Scott: There's nothing wrong with the bloody thing...
Captain Spock: Mr. Scott, if we return to Spacedock, the assassins will surely find a way to dispose of their incriminating footwear, and we will never see the Captain or Doctor McCoy alive again.
Captain Montgomery 'Scotty' Scott: [quickly] Could take weeks, sir.
Captain Spock: Thank you, Mr. Scott.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

San Fransisco Earth orbital space dock shipyards update, suplimental......She finally made the paint booth.......Dammit Jim......I'm a doctor not a hot rod painter!!

Despite repairs to the ship yards inner structure (the house ceiling after an impromptu leak from the bathroom) causing minor structural integrity failings, and possible catastrophic failure of the ship yards power supply (said leak narrowly missing the the main electrical breaker box by inches), the build for the USS Enterprise, NCC-1701... no bloody, A, B, C or D.......  continues...

Fresh from several coats of ghost grey paint, she's looking resplendent....yet still with a few seem line issues.....work begun on some of the paint details on the main & secondary hull's and warp nacelles.

48968724933_9f05a586a2_z.jpg

48969269246_21018ddaf5_z.jpg

SS Botany is semi painted here, with a few paint details to the primary hull made.

48968724843_394edcfd19_z.jpg

The paint for the main hull sections has come out really nice with a smooth and shiny surface. The buzzard collectors have also come out really nice as well. though I was unsure if the panels underneath the nacelles needed any detail painting? there seems to be a conflict from the original model and other illustrations I've seen?

48969269971_5d0938b527_z.jpg

SS Botany Bay in a semi finished paint job with plenty of weathering. Mainly a charcoal wash with aluminum & gun metal dry brushing effect. May need a little more but see how it goes.

48969398406_d5040f97b4_z.jpg

48969398261_3beaf546fb_z.jpg

Thats how she stands at the moment pending decals and registration numbers.......I think she'll look a fine ship indeed soon enough...I am contemplating some mild weathering bt unsure where to apply and how much. so any advice would be appreciated.

And with that... we will raise a glass to the toughest red shirt....

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1