Barbarossa Rest Stop

Excellent work Red Five,

A lovely little scene , perfectly laid out. You might not be happy with some of the faces, but you've managed to get irises/pupils in without making them look cross-eyed or goggle eyed, so that's always good. To be fair, they aren't bad faces at all, and as figures they are nicely posed, well painted and believable. The armoured car looks great too, my favourite 'family' of German Light Armoured Cars,, although I always lean towards the desert versions.

But of special mention is the groundwork. That grass/mud/stone combo is fantastic. Did you apply that with a static grass applicator or is that matting? Also, can you tell me which company made the figures?

One last thing, can we have more photos please, from different angles, and in close-up as well?

Thanks,

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Hi Badder, The figures are stalingrad with the exception of the crewman who is stock tamiya which is crap. Yes i used a static grass applicator, they are well worth the money.

Ill try and take a few more pics soon.

Thanks,

• Like 1

Love the diorama.  Figure poses are great.  Did you have to alter the Stalingrad figures in anyway?

The only thing I would change is the application of a more Matt varnish to the figures.  However it maybe the trick of the light that appears to show a slightly glossy surface finish?

Groundwork is brilliant too.

I love using static grass, so much more realistic.  Luke Townsend (YouTube) shows a great way of making your own grass applicator which 8 followed but not a cheap exercise.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Clogged said:

Love the diorama.  Figure poses are great.  Did you have to alter the Stalingrad figures in anyway?

The only thing I would change is the application of a more Matt varnish to the figures.  However it maybe the trick of the light that appears to show a slightly glossy surface finish?

Groundwork is brilliant too.

I love using static grass, so much more realistic.  Luke Townsend (YouTube) shows a great way of making your own grass applicator which 8 followed but not a cheap exercise.

Hi Clogged,

I didnt have to alter the stalingrad figures, i used them on my river crossing dio too, the detail is fantastic and they are well worth it in comparison to tamiya and masterbox etc. In regards to the gloss  they are pretty matt but the guy in the vest is glossed a little as he is washing his hair and face so wanted it looking wet. The boots are semi gloss too as its meant to be pretty early in the war when the germans were maybe a bit more cocky and had time to polish boots aand were cleaner fresher looking than perhpas later in the war. Also the photos arent the best as the off my mobile so the light is pretty shitty. I just bought an applicatior off ebay, think it was maybe £30 or something but it came with tonnes of grass. Ive used it for 2 years on all sorts and still not needed any more grass.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2019 at 4:17 PM, Red Five said:

Yes i used a static grass applicator, they are well worth the money.

7 hours ago, Red Five said:

Hi Chaps,

Re: Static Grass applicators, I made my own after reading a link on here. Forget about 30 quid or more, I made mine for around 8 quid, not including batteries. I've lost the link now, but if you earch for 'Bug Zapper' static grass applicator you should find vids on Youtube.

Basically, there's a tennis racket shaped fly swatter which has an electrified mesh instead of strings. You take the handle part off, open it up, disconnect the wires and then re-attach one to a metal sieve/tea-strainer which you fix to the end of the handle, and the second wire to a nail/crocodile clip etc. The thing works brilliiantly with a few adjustments such as a lid for the sieve. But be warned, they give a hell of a whack!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Badder said:

Hi Chaps,

Re: Static Grass applicators, I made my own after reading a link on here. Forget about 30 quid or more, I made mine for around 8 quid, not including batteries. I've lost the link now, but if you earch for 'Bug Zapper' static grass applicator you should find vids on Youtube.

Basically, there's a tennis racket shaped fly swatter which has an electrified mesh instead of strings. You take the handle part off, open it up, disconnect the wires and then re-attach one to a metal sieve/tea-strainer which you fix to the end of the handle, and the second wire to a nail/crocodile clip etc. The thing works brilliiantly with a few adjustments such as a lid for the sieve. But be warned, they give a hell of a whack!

Rearguards,

Badder

Yeah i was gonna do that too but couldnt be bottomed going to get stuff so ebay'd it instead. haha

• 1 month later...