F-35 Surface Detail

GazB

Hi all. 

I see Meng is prepping a new 1/48 F-35. I've been interested in an F-35 kit but there's one thing that keeps putting me off, and that's the raised surface detail with the sawtooth edging. The bits with the paler grey colouring. Every time I see photographs of the actual aircraft, the fuselage is almost completely smooth in these areas, but all scale model renditions show it raised.

For purportedly being accurate, it never looks so. Does anyone know if this is indeed accurate and I'm missing something, because I could swear from any image of the real thing it isn't present in the fuselage.

Appreciation in advance.

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

I think a lot of model-makers assume it would be easier to mask and paint raised saw tooth lines. Rather than using a decal to represent the areas. I by no means an expert but i do think they are very slightly raised but not as exaggerated as what the produce. If you look at some of the photo’s in this walk around. 

https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/lockheed-f-35b-lightning-ii-walkaround/

You can see a very slight raise over the surrounding skin. Personally when i build mine in the future, i plan on sanding down the areas. They will almost be imperceptible raised areas to get it where i think it should be. Almost the same technique i use on raised panel line kits. 

Dennis

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I think a lot of model-makers assume it would be easier to mask and paint raised saw tooth lines. Rather than using a decal to represent the areas. I by no means an expert but i do think they are very slightly raised but not as exaggerated as what the produce. If you look at some of the photo’s in this walk around. 

https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/lockheed-f-35b-lightning-ii-walkaround/

You can see a very slight raise over the surrounding skin. Personally when i build mine in the future, i plan on sanding down the areas. They will almost be imperceptible raised areas to get it where i think it should be. Almost the same technique i use on raised panel line kits. 

Dennis

Oof, that's going to be a lot of sanding, heh.

Thanks for the reply, Dennis :)

Gaz

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes it will be a lot of sanding, hence the “I will build it in the future” part. Im hoping someone comes up with a kit where i wont need to do that. Im always happy to help, if i can do anything else ask. 

Dennis

I'm holding out hope someone releases a kit closer to the real surface texture as well, heh.

Gaz

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Bradley said:

Here are a couple of photos that I've taken that show those lines to be very slightly raised - not at all to the extent seen on kits though! I'd suggest that the thickness of typical Japanese decals woul dbe sufficient to represent it. 

48830053471_829d473e22_c.jpg1817 by Paul Bradley

48830053881_2d44b8242d_c.jpg022 by Paul Bradley

Nice shots, Paul :). The effect is indeed very subtle. I'm honestly surprised they raise them so much on the kits given the molds they can achieve nowadays, even if it was make the detail more pronounced. Even slightly raised sections would catch a wash for definition. It's a shame because I would love to try one. Nobody seems to have made a brand new F-22 kit either, or even on an unrelated note, the ever popular A-10.

Gaz