1/48 F-14A VF-111

Covjets13

So, after much “encouragement” from Craig and then from other members of our bi-monthly model meeting and the donation of the kit and decal sheet by Tim, I had nowhere to hide...so I hope I can do you both justice.  

So, this is my first group build, and it’s been a breath of fresh air and a break from my current (massive) project of a 1/144 LUT. 

Tim, thank you so much for your generosity.

A0BE6F48-3280-48D4-A8D3-2CDEBF5602C4_zps

EFBBCEBB-E32F-48D5-9537-753CD285088C_zps

587854F4-9D61-4646-9098-BE7FF0C98FA3_zps

So I started at the meeting, so start date is Friday 13th.... 😉

wish me me luck and enjoy the progress

cheers Si

• Like 2

Here kitty, kitty!

Welcome aboard.  :cheers:

Fair warning, GBs are addictive (even if you don't build as much as you would like too).  I hardly make it outside of this section of the forums anymore.  It's fun and encouraging to build to a theme, while still having a pretty good variety of builds.  

• Like 1

Great to see your Tomcat in progress Simon, and as I said to you last week whats not to like about one of my (and many others) favourite aircraft in the markings of my favourite US Navy squadron. I'm sure your build will be popular, especially when people see how good a modeller you are, but really you make "encouragement" sound like I threatened you or something :) .

Group build addiction starts with one but very quickly gets out of control!

Frighteningly it actually is very nearly finished, and to an extremely high standard too. Having seen this in the flesh (plastic?) last night I can safely say that Simon has really done a fantastic job, he has been having a few photo sharing issues but trust me when you see the pics you will agree that they are worth the wait.

• Like 1

Right, time to catch up with some updates....

Exhausts

yEQYFyh.jpg

l37jksw.jpg

iviWJy3.jpg

gv3TABb.jpg

Cockpit...

Phlfd9j.jpg

67FjyDQ.jpg

Airframe...

jdOYKDi.jpg

Yes, needed some ‘larger’ clamps to get the intakes on😳. It’s not a “shake-n-bake” kit, but it does go together well with a little persuasion 🤫.

Thanks for your kind words Craig, very much appreciated from such a good modeller.

More to follow, thanks for looking.

Si 

• Like 3

Thanks Craig,

So some more progress shots, first the added weight in the nose, lead shot and superglue

Xsx4Khh.jpg

Then leave it overnight in iced water, so it doesn’t melt as the superglue goes off.

HtRrDCL.jpg

Cockpit in and all ready for paint after a coat of Mr Surfacer.

lYYvfxS.jpg

Heavily diluted XF2 over the primer to make it look blotchy, I prefer this method to pre-shading, think it’s more subtle, although more time consuming.

Fj7FBL7.jpg

More to follow soon.

Thanks for stopping by.

Si 

• Like 2

That cockpit looks great in place Simon, very convincing.

I really like the look of the blotchy XF-2 over the primer, almost looks like a temporary Winter scheme!

Good tip about placing the nose in cold water whilst the super glue goes off, not heard of that one before.

Seriously tempting me to start my Tamiya Tomcat but I must resist as I have too much to do and nowhere near enough time to do it in!

Thanks for your kind words, as a kit it’s very good, but it does need lots of dry fitting, but I’ve not used any filler. 

So so here are come more pic of the decals completed, followed by a oil pin wash. 

jliyTKA.jpg

Followed by a gloss coat and lots of oils...

spDwIOF.jpg

Glg1Oj8.jpg

JMognkr.jpg

Thanks for looking

Si

• Like 3

Well it’s starting to come together, doing the red “bits”. I’ve used a Sharpie as it’s soooooo much easier than loads of masking. On the leading edges, they get worn in a distinctive way, so to simulate that I went over XF7 with the sharpie to give the tones...it’s kinda worked. 

aH5ymmz.jpg

Masked the walk ways

pW4veAp.jpg

Masking removed, and looks too flat

uPWg6r9.jpg

Then weathered

6zUeS8y.jpg

Thanks for looking

Si 

• Like 6