Hobbycraft 1/48 Seversky P-35

I bought this kit from a mate of a deceased mate’s stash sale back in April. I knew nothing about the kit or the actual aircraft but fancied something different for a quick build.

This is the Hobbycraft 1/48 Seversky P-35 kit dating from the 1990’s. Built OOB and painted in various shades of AK Interactive Xtreme Metal paints.

The canopy parts were a horror to fit and I never really got the fixed parts blended in as well as I wanted. The opening part just wouldn’t fit at all so has been left open. 

IMG_5539-600x412.jpg IMG_5934-600x450.jpg IMG_5929-600x450.jpg IMG_5925-600x450.jpg IMG_5928-600x450.jpg IMG_5670-600x383.jpg

I had intended adding nav lights and the aerial but never got round to it, maybe soon!

Duncan B

• Like 31
  • Sad 1

Very nice build of what I have read is a so-so kit. Loved the natural metal finish and choice of markings. Hard to believe the P-35 and P-47 came from the same designer, but if you squint real hard, you can see the family resemblance! 👍

Mike

• Thanks 1

Very nice job on that Hobbycraft kit Duncan!  Great NMF!  I've picked it up several times at the hobby shop and considered buying one.  Your fine build has now convinced me that I won't put one down again-it will go home with me next time.  I hope I can do half the job you have sir!  :clap2:

• Thanks 1

Beautiful work on the Thunderbolt's daddy. Or was it uncle? Maybe second cousin five times removed? Anyway, I love your natural metal work.

I snapped this photo somewhere - Planes of Fame Museum maybe? Looks like a two-seat version of the P-35. And it's got drip pans underneath, so it must still fly! I think this is the Seversky AT-12 Guardsman. If I recall correctly, unlikely at my age, a bunch of these were sold as dive bombers to Japan before the war.

100_0067

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Wasn't the relationship between the P-35 and P-47 similiar to the one between the P-36 and the P-40?   

Yes something like that Aleksander Seversky Designed this and eventually his company changed name to Republic. He then designed the P-43 Lancer before the Thunderbolt. Kind of a small medium large thing going on. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_P._de_Seversky

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_Aviation

Dennis

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the comments and to Bill for that stunning photo. I have seen video of that particular aircraft ground running for sure, not so sure if it still flies but it probably does.

From what I have read the P-35s bloodline extends to the P-47 through the Seversky Company becoming Republic (after Alexander de Seversky was forced from the Board of Directors after heavy financial losses) hence the connection to the P-47. What is more striking to me is the similarity of the P-35 to the Regianne Re2000 which is apparently due to the Re2000's designer having spent some time working at Seversky before going back to Italy.

Duncan b

Great job Duncan!

I've got this one in the stash and want to build it with the very same markings. Thanks for the heads-up concerning the canopy.

If anybody wants the history - this is an excellent book:

48758617927_f5dfb9ed4a_o.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 10:09 AM, Toryu said:

Great job Duncan!

I've got this one in the stash and want to build it with the very same markings. Thanks for the heads-up concerning the canopy.

If anybody wants the history - this is an excellent book:

48758617927_f5dfb9ed4a_o.jpg

One word of caution, I ended up using aftermarket decals as the kit ones looked like they would fall apart if I tried them. The options on my AM sheet were the same aircraft as in the kit anyway so it was all as per the box. I still have the spare AM decals left over if you want them for your build? Drop me a PM with your address if you want them as I'll not be building another P-35.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

Apparently they renamed the company Republic as it has eight letter like Seversky.  Not sure  why that was so important, perhaps they had spent a lot of money on signage frames?

i don’t think there was actually much carry over from P-35, P-43, P-47 other than the designers characteristic outline.

The fact that Seversky/Republic had cracked the elliptical wing planform as had many other makers makes one wonder why manufacturing such a shape was such a challenge for Supermarine!  Far from being revolutionary it was “in the water” of aviation in the 30s.   Like grey combat planes nowadays.

Edited by malpaso
  • Like 1

The main initial production problem with the Spitfire wing was the very individual spar rather than the shape, although basically Supermarine was too small a company to cope with large production orders so there was much diversion of production to other sites, all of which required sets of drawings and their hands being held initially.  However, another key difference between the Seversky wing and the Supermarine one was that the Spitfire wing was a lot thinner and had washout (twist) as a complicating feature.  There's nothing actually magical about the elliptical wing in itself - and Seversky had been beaten to it by Heinkel anyway.  And no doubt others.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, malpaso said:

The fact that Seversky/Republic had cracked the elliptical wing planform as had many other makers makes one wonder why manufacturing such a shape was such a challenge for Supermarine!

43 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

However, another key difference between the Seversky wing and the Supermarine one was that the Spitfire wing was a lot thinner and had washout (twist) as a complicating feature.  There's nothing actually magical about the elliptical wing in itself - and Seversky had been beaten to it by Heinkel anyway. 

The Seversky wing is not even elliptical in a true sense. It has a straight leading edge and a straight (a little rounded) trailing edge at the flaps. Only the aileron and wing tip are adding a sense of ellipse. To manufacture the former when fabric-covered is no rocket science at all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Very Art Deco landing gear arrangement :huh:

Lovely job you've  made of that mate, you really ought to add the nav lights and r/t wire just to finish it off properly  B) 

Cheers,

Stew

I think the U/C looks like a Cyberman's trousers! I will get round to adding the finishing touches at some point.

DB

• Like 1