Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

DaveRob

Tamiya extra fine grey primer

Recommended Posts

Can anyone tell me what to thin the above primer with. It’s the light grey stuff and I have decanted it from the aerosol 

 

TIA

 

DaveR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As above, self levelling thinner works a treat. Great stuff.

 

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tamiya's X20 Thinner works for Tamiya Surface Primer, so I would think it would also work for Extra Fine Grey Primer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Tamiya's X20 Thinner works for Tamiya Surface Primer, so I would think it would also work for Extra Fine Grey Primer.

Won't work, X20 is enamel thinner. X20A is acrylic thinner, that won't work either, must be lacquer thinner..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

Won't work, X20 is enamel thinner. X20A is acrylic thinner, that won't work either, must be lacquer thinner..

I stand corrected. I was under the impression that Tamiya Surface Primer was a lacquer-based product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

I stand corrected. I was under the impression that Tamiya Surface Primer was a lacquer-based product.

You are correct. Tamiya surface primer is a lacquer based product. It must be thinned with lacquer thinner such as Tamiya's own or Mr Color levelling thinner etc. It won't thin with X20 as that is an enamel thinner, or X20a as that is an acrylic thinner for the X and XF range of Tamiya acrylics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

I stand corrected. I was under the impression that Tamiya Surface Primer was a lacquer-based product.

Are we talking about the same product? I'm thinking it's the Tamiya primer in an aerosol? Or are you thinking of the brushable stuff in a glass jar maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

Are we talking about the same product? I'm thinking it's the Tamiya primer in an aerosol? Or are you thinking of the brushable stuff in a glass jar maybe?

I'm not sure, now! 🥴

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks to all who have helped me with this one...…  Lacquer thinner is the way to go.

 

Appriciate your help

 

DaveR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...