Merit International 1/48 J2F-5 Duck

This is my recently completed 1/48 scale Grumman Duck produced by Merit International. I chose not to use either of the colour options supplied with the kit going for a pre-war colour scheme instead.

I added rigging and the aerial using Infini Models' 1/48 scale rigging thread and painted on all of the markings with the exception of the fuselage and fin codes which are decals sourced from my spares box. Painted using AK Interactive Xtreme Metal Aluminium for the silver and Colourcoats enamels for the more colourful bits.

IMG_5902-L.jpg

IMG_5907-L.jpg

IMG_5917-L.jpg

IMG_5918-L.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 68

Now that is one very pretty looking Duck! Love the colour scheme! And the rigging is spot on.

Got one of these waiting for my attention, but I intend to do it as the RN/MS Mount Kyle aircraft from Murphy's War and have it hanging from a scratchbuilt crane with Peter'O'Toole stabilising it with ropes. At least, that's the plan!

Kev

• Like 2

If it looks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck...seriously, that is a beautiful model! As the others have said, you have nailed the colors and finish on this one! Looks like something Accurate Miniatures or Monogram would have done! Wish we had one as nice in  1/72 scale. (Going to do a pre-war Kingfisher to go with this one?) :clap2:

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Duncan I love the aluminum finish. Did you  overcoat it?  Simply one of the best finishes I have seen on a USN Duck. 

I used Alclad’s Aquagloss at various stages to seal it in.

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

If it looks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck...seriously, that is a beautiful model! As the others have said, you have nailed the colors and finish on this one! Looks like something Accurate Miniature or Monogram would have done! Wish we had one as nice in  1/72 scale. (Going to do a pre-war Kingfisher top go with this one?) :clap2:

Mike

A few months ago I did have a look for the old Monogram Kingfisher but couldn’t find one that wasn’t silly money. Shame as it would look great next to this one.

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Truly a masterpiece Duncan. Everything is spot on - the finish, the rigging, the subject, the scheme. It perfectly captures USN aviation between the wars. How about making a diorama beaching scenario? Ducks need water...

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Truly a masterpiece Duncan. Everything is spot on - the finish, the rigging, the subject, the scheme. It perfectly captures USN aviation between the wars. How about making a diorama beaching scenario? Ducks need water...

Cheers,

Bill

Bill you just reminded me that I bought a beaching scene base for this thing and obviously completely forgot about it, doh!

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments, it was a fun project to do.

Duncan B

• Like 2