Classic Monogram Warbirds

35 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Hey! Model aircraft and barbecue. What could be better!

snj-done16.jpg

snj-done10.jpg

beef-back5.jpg

beef-back4.jpg

Wow, beautiful model plane!  What type is that one dnl? 

Oh man, those are some fine lookin' ribs!  Dayum!  Jeeez, I can almost taste 'em-got my mouth watering now!  And what's that in the skillet, corn, hominy, maybe mac and cheese?  It looks my-tee good too.😀

Thanks for the reply!:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Gary Brantley!  The model is Monogram's 1/48 AT-6 in the "Miller SNJ" boxing. I've got various other AT-6 boxings in the stash. The cockpit was quite nice, I replaced the seats, made harnesses from flattened solder, and used a vac canopy.

Those are smoked beef ribs and Alton Brown's Better Than Granny's Creamed Corn.

Edited by dnl42
  • Like 1

@Navy Bird  What's wrong with raised panel lines????  🤔

No, seriously, this obsession about sunk rivets and panel lines is another modern modelling dogma. There are aircraft with raised rivets and overlapping panel joints (F4F, F6F, P-47), but even those models are nowadays produced with engraved detail!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toryu said:

@Navy Bird  What's wrong with raised panel lines????  🤔

No, seriously, this obsession about sunk rivets and panel lines is another modern modelling dogma. There are aircraft with raised rivets and overlapping panel joints (F4F, F6F, P-47), but even those models are nowadays produced with engraved detail, and heavily applauded!

Ah, so Monogram and Hawk got close on these?  😀

garybrantley-161204-5844554060e6b-1024x7

portfrontclosegood2.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DJJunis said:

Wow what jolt back in time...so many memories. Thanks so much Gary! The builds, given their vintage, are awesome.

Thank you for sharing and providing this glimpse back to my childhood. 

All the Best!

Don

Thank you Don, and you're welcome too!   I have to admit that looking at them does give me a bit of a "warm and fuzzy" feeling. 😉 Oh, those simpler times...😀

3 hours ago, F-32 said:

Love them, very cool indeed!

Thank you sir! 🍻 I'm so glad you enjoyed these old 'birds!  😎

On 9/18/2019 at 7:51 PM, Mohawk said:

I am of a certain age but where I live in deepest darkest Wales,we never had exotic names like Monogram,we had to make do with Airfix kits,I am building a Vodoo from Monogram at the moment and I am pleasently surprised that the filler has remained in the tube.I have enjoyed looking at your models very much.:clap2:

@Mohawk, I am so embarrassed that I overlooked replying to your post.  Please accept my sincere apology for that, it was certainly unintended.  Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternatives, so far. 😉

Thanks so much for the kind words sir! 🍺   I'm glad to hear that you're having a good time with your Voodoo build.  Is it the 1/48 version?  They are really nice models; I've done the RF-101B so far and have an F-101B still in my Monogram stash.   I look forward to seeing your model here on BM!   😀

my Monogram Voodoo

Hi Grant Brantley,no need to apologise and I agree getting old does suck.It is the 1/48 version with RCAF decals given to me by a friend,as for posting it on this forum.my models are not up the standard of the kits on here.I dont use an airbrush and build mainly old kits and no aftermarket bits.I just enjoy looking at models made by people who know what they are doing.

Mohawk.

Edited by Mohawk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Thoroughly enjoyed viewing your photos, your modelling skills are outstanding.

Thanks so much Hairtrigger! 🍻  You're just too kind sir; I'm really glad you enjoyed the pics and planes though!   I appreciate the comments for sure!  😀

Superb collection Gary,Monogram tend to get overlooked these days which is a shame they still build into fine Model's hope you don't mind

a photo of their Panther I did for last year's Grumman GB

20181212_111316

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Superb collection Gary,Monogram tend to get overlooked these days which is a shame they still build into fine Model's hope you don't mind

a photo of their Panther I did for last year's Grumman GB

20181212_111316

Hey Steve, thanks for the kind words!   Much appreciated by this old guy!  😀

Your Panther is so cool! 😎 :thumbsup:

I don't think I've seen that scheme before; it's very striking and colorful with those yellow wings n' things!   It's a terrific little kit isn't it?  And as you said, very often overlooked now.  I would sure enjoy seeing more of your Panther model Steve, has it been posted here at BM?

Here's my take of that kit:

Monogram F9F Panther

7 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

Here's my take of that kit

Checked it out Gary,very nice too.Here's the link to more of the above.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235047856-monogram-148-pantherwith-a-touch-of-colour/

I have the Intruder on the shelf of doom,must finish her!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Checked it out Gary,very nice too.Here's the link to more of the above.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235047856-monogram-148-pantherwith-a-touch-of-colour/

I have the Intruder on the shelf of doom,must finish her!

Thanks Steve!  I'm off to follow that link!  Much obliged for that. 😀

35 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

Love the look of that barbecue, models are great too.

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman!   I'm glad you commented, on both the "meat" and the model!    I appreciate it man. 😀

• 1 month later...
On 19/09/2019 at 01:12, 72modeler said:

Real SBD's didn't have folding wings, but the Monogram kit had retractable undercart, operating dive brakes, the bomb could be swing on the crutch, and the prop and rear gun were moveable. Couldn't afford the $1.49 retail price on my allowance, but they were 90 cents at the BX! Monogram pretty much switched from box scale kits to 1/48 and didn't begin doing 1/72 kits until the late sixties, IIRC. Back  in the day when I was in high school, every cent I made mowing lawns and bagging groceries at the base commissary went for plastic and control line models....those were the days!

Mike

Indeed! All true. In the middle 80's I bought one and I still have it in perfect conditions so that I decided to restore it. Thanks to your post I've noticed that the brakes were drilled. I didn't know. So I'm going to make holes... At the moment I have just one pic but I don't know how to put it in. I don't have an URL... I also have a F14 by Monogram, fortunately never completed at the time (1990)  but just recently using proper tools such as airbrush and stuff

• Like 1