RF-101C Voodoo in USAFE camo

RF-101C Voodoo

66th TRW, RAF Upper Heyford, 1968

1/72 Hasegawa kit rescribed + Mig paints

IMG_2911

I’ve had the old Hasegawa RF-101C in the stash for many years and was tempted to replace it with the much more modern Valom kit. But like many of these older kits it had that ‘old friend’ feel about it and I knew I wouldn’t bin it so it made it’s way onto the modelling desk. I remember the camouflaged Voodoos from 1960s Battle of Britain At Home days so I chose 60109 which I had a photo of from the 1968 Coltishall show.

The kit is many decades old and is typical Hasegawa from the early period with light raised panel lines and very limited detail. The nose also seemed to have a slight turned-up look to it so I added some Milliput and reshaped it slightly. The very simple interior was a good starting point for a reasonably detailed cockpit and seat, and I rescribed most of the panel lines.

I used the Mig USAF Vietnam acrylic paint set, with the lighter of the greens darkened slightly. Decals were from the spares box; mostly from old Superscale sheets. Quite pleased with it after 50 odd years of waiting to do it!

IMG_2914

IMG_2915

IMG_2918

IMG_2910

IMG_2909

IMG_2908

IMG_2907

IMG_2906

• Like 46

Very tidy job there. Nowt wrong with the Hasegawa kit, (apart from the tanks need to come forward a bit) considering it was the only game in town.

Still have another 4 in the stash. Looks good in the camo, even if I am biased towards NMF.

That is a great looking Voodoo.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Zhizhou

Yowzah! A beautiful One Oh Wonder! Figured @RidgeRunner would like this one, even without dayglo all over it! You have showcased what the Hasegawa kit can be made into with some skill, which is apparent you have. Well done! (I also have four kits in the box waiting for their turn!)

Mike

Excellent job on the Hasegawa kit. The Vietnam camouflage scheme really suits the Voodoo.  I started, but never finished, the Valom kit.  Looking at your build make me think I should try the Hasegawa kit one day.     

PERFECT, your modeling skills are top!

Scribed lines looks better than on most new issued models, very moderate and good for this scale.

You proved how good can be those old models finished with good skillful hands.

Best regards Djordje

11 hours ago, djos said:

PERFECT, your modeling skills are top!

Scribed lines looks better than on most new issued models, very moderate and good for this scale.

You proved how good can be those old models finished with good skillful hands.

Best regards Djordje

Thanks Djordje. I find most moulded panel lines are too wide and not deep enough to take a wash properly, so old kits like this with very fine raised panel lines are just right for rescribing with a needle held in a pin vice.