Bandai AT-AT 1/144 & AT-ST 1/48

After not having touched a plastic model for years, I decided to pick it back up after breaking my back during a supermoto race. Since racing won't be an option for quite a while, modeling will be a great way to pass the time (and then some).

I started with the Bandai AT-ST but rushed into it. Although I like it, it's rough in quite a few places and I hope to fix these issues with the AT-AT I am building now. The AT-ST also isn't finished yet, but nearing completion.

For the AT-AT I am going to cheat a bit and look at AndyRM101's models as a reference. Won't be able to beat that, but I am sure I can learn a thing or two from him (hope he doesn't mind).

spacer.png

With a diorama. Also not completely finished as it needs some tree roots on the right slope and some more foliage and stuff.

spacer.png

I tried to add some yellow to break up the grey a bit. Not really true to its source, but I like the look of it. All the chipping has been done with chipping fluid, but I forgot to it for the grey camo as well, so it looks more like a winter wash which wasn't the idea. The brown shadow near the round thing has been done with cheap Action oils. It should be black, but it looks very brownish.

spacer.png

Side view.

spacer.png

Rear view. The black exhaust ports didn't come out too well...

spacer.png

Starting the AT-AT. Just like AndyRM101, I tried to close the seam on the neck.

spacer.png

And here on the bottom without any work done. Got to find me some putty or filler since I haven't got much stuff yet. I thought I could remove the neck unit later on, so i'll have to figure out how to paint it properly with it attached.

spacer.png

And what I got so far for the AT-AT. Hopefully I can make some more progress tonight.

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

Nice start on the AT-AT. I love the splinter camo you've used on the AT-ST and the chipping looks excellent. The yellow works really well too as an accent colour. Are you going to use a similar scheme for the AT-AT?

Andy:cat:

Thanks, Andy. I like the chipping effect, did it with AK Chipping fluid, but I do notice that it is hard to get it the same with diffierent colors and paint brands, so it's a hit or mis. I think I will add some splinter camo to the AT-AT as well, but with the AT-ST, even though I primed it, the paint came off during masking and I don't want that to happen again...

As Andy says - nice work.  I like the base especially :)

Some of your pics are a bit slow to load this end, and the one I tested was a bit large and bordering on the heavy side in terms of Kb.  Have a look in the FAQ section for some hints if you want more info, but the basics are 1024x768 or 1280x800 max with around 200kb a good size for swift downloads :yes:

1 hour ago, Nick Naethuijs said:

I'd like to post some pictures, but I am not sure where I can upload them to resize them? Photobucket and websites like that all seem to have vanished. I now send them to my Facebook chat and copy the link from there but then the images are too heavy for here. Any ideas?

Flickr is a decent hosting site, and the one I use. You can upload you photos to the site at full rez, then select what size you want to post them at on BM etc. You are limited to, I think, 200 photos as a free user, after which you'd need to upgrade to a pro account which isn't that cheap anymore. Sadly, that's the trend with most image hosts these days.

If the 200 photo limit is sufficient for you in the short term, then I'd definietly recommend the service.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy Moore said:

Flickr is a decent hosting site, and the one I use. You are limited to, I think, 200 photos as a free user, after which you'd need to upgrade to a pro account which isn't that cheap anymore.

I use the free mode and the photo capacity is realy 1,000. From 1,000 or professional or you have to delete photos to add others.

I think it is enough to upload photos of many models.

By the way, lovely AT-ST !! 👍🏼

Andrés.

• Like 1

Here's a rather large update.

While I intended on following Andy's steps to do this AT-AT as well, I ended up experimenting but a lot of things went wrong, starting with the primer. I had a bottle of Vallejo black but it was very old and had the consistency of peanut butter, so I added acrylic thinner to be still able to use it. I then airbrushed it on, but it was like dust on the model... Since I didn't have anything else, I figured I would just go over it with a clearcoat in the end to seal it, but the rough texture remains and it can be seen in all of the pictures.

48775972642_22f1387369_z.jpg20 by Nick N

This is with the pre-shading for the darker color to be seen through the lighter grey using chipping fluid. But, because of the rough texture, it almost looked like it got sanded. Not the effect I wanted and won't be doing it like this next time.

48775433608_c3d377bdb3_h.jpg19 by Nick N

Very rough and the effect is way too much. in the end I went over it again with some grey to tone it down.

48775972957_c305e02c97_h.jpg18 by Nick N

Same here. Rough texture from basecoat is very visible.

48775433608_c3d377bdb3_h.jpg19 by Nick N, on Flickr

The oil paint wash also didn't behave like I wanted because of the texture, even after the gloss coat. It was difficult to clean up.

48775421323_7ed63c2711_h.jpgindex by Nick N

And then I forgot to take pictures and here it is nearing the end result. Not quite what I wanted, but i'll do it completely different next time, using different techniques and a good basecoat (got a new bottle now).

48775422573_74a0974676_h.jpg11 by Nick N, on Flickr

48775961817_1fbbe0c902_h.jpg10 by Nick N, on Flickr

Effect on the yellow plates is too heavy and I wanted to get it done fast since my patience ran out since the result wasn't what I wanted,.

48775774571_cbcbf93902_h.jpg9 by Nick N, on Flickr

Again, using oils, I blended it to add contrast, but way too heavy. Next time I will do it with the preshading and masking for a more subtle effect.

48775423003_51700fc382_h.jpg8 by Nick N, on Flickr

48775775926_0f6c44e672_z.jpg4 by Nick N, on Flickr

You can see how the texture affected the chipping fluid when removing the top layer. It also catches light and affected every other technique I did afterwards.

And on to the AT-ST.

48775424723_53aced4e65_h.jpg3 by Nick N, on Flickr

Added some roots from weeds to the diorama. Glued them with wood glue.

48775422388_b3243f1dd1_z.jpg12 by Nick N, on Flickr

Added some noch leaves. Next time I will get different ones. Didn't realise these were from a real tree and look a bit odd. Should also wear gloves.

48775773741_ec2719ff13_z.jpg13 by Nick N, on Flickr

Added soms ground texture to the top of the roots to simulate mud. Will paint it when it's dry, add a wash to the roots and ground and finish it with a matte coat.

48775773741_ec2719ff13_z.jpg13 by Nick N, on Flickr

Also added soms twigs and ferns under the foot to make it look as if it was standing on vegetating and branches.

48775960822_ddd6926979_z.jpg14 by Nick N, on Flickr

Added some leaves on the model as well.

Edited by Nick Naethuijs
  • Like 12

In a very close look at the model of the AT-AT, or an enlarged photo, it is possible to see the grainy appearance in the painting. And I understand that you are not happy with it. But I love the final look of the model. I find it very realistic and very well achieved. And I also love the brown dirt of the legs and some parts of the head and the main body.

It is certainly enviable what you have achieved.

In my opinion, if you allow me the advice, it would be appropriate to perform some chipping with a sponge and a very dark rust in some angled places of the legs. I think it would increase the high realism already achieved.

Andrés.

• Like 2

I have to say, the grain in the primer isn't really noticeable to me. I'm sure it's more apparent to you in person, but i don't think it really affects the end result in a negatice way. Regarding the primer though, I've got a couple of Vallejo primers that I bought when I first got back into the hobby, but I was never happy with them and I hardly use them anymore. If you want to stick with water based paints, try the AMMO primers. I find them to be excellent, especially if thinned with Self Leveller thinner.

As for the chipping, I think that looks great. If the graininess has affected it, it appears to be in a positive way to my eye and I really like the results. Same goes for the weathering, particularly the dark staining around the leg joints which looks really effective.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

In a very close look at the model of the AT-AT, or an enlarged photo, it is possible to see the grainy appearance in the painting. And I understand that you are not happy with it. But I love the final look of the model. I find it very realistic and very well achieved. And I also love the brown dirt of the legs and some parts of the head and the main body.

It is certainly enviable what you have achieved.

In my opinion, if you allow me the advice, it would be appropriate to perform some chipping with a sponge and a very dark rust in some angled places of the legs. I think it would increase the high realism already achieved.

Andrés.

Thanks Andrés, but I can't help but think that everything should have been more subtle. I tend to go too heavy with a lot of things.

1 hour ago, Andy Moore said:

I have to say, the grain in the primer isn't really noticeable to me. I'm sure it's more apparent to you in person, but i don't think it really affects the end result in a negatice way. Regarding the primer though, I've got a couple of Vallejo primers that I bought when I first got back into the hobby, but I was never happy with them and I hardly use them anymore. If you want to stick with water based paints, try the AMMO primers. I find them to be excellent, especially if thinned with Self Leveller thinner.

As for the chipping, I think that looks great. If the graininess has affected it, it appears to be in a positive way to my eye and I really like the results. Same goes for the weathering, particularly the dark staining around the leg joints which looks really effective.

Compared to yours it all looks so rough instead of smooth. When I look at it I don't think it's bad, but I do want go a step beyond and see if I can do better. Perhaps the Snowspeeder is up next or the 1:144 Falcon. I guess i'll go with another primer, do the pre-shading heavier with an airbrush instead of with oils in the end and do the chipping by hand instead of with chipping fluid (or with a sponge like you do).

• Like 1

I agree with Andy.
I do not usually print but when I do I use One Shot primer in gray of AMMO MIG and it is really very good, certainly self-leveling and leaving a perfect surface.

As shown by a small pilot 1/72 scale. The primer did not hide the small details of the figure and its surface remained perfectly level.

Andrés.

48015289718_c20c146aea_o.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

I agree with Andy.
I do not usually print but when I do I use One Shot primer in gray of AMMO MIG and it is really very good, certainly self-leveling and leaving a perfect surface.

As shown by a small pilot 1/72 scale. The primer did not hide the small details of the figure and its surface remained perfectly level.

Andrés.

48015289718_c20c146aea_o.jpg

That does look good. I also won't go with black for the Falcon that I got now, but with grey and then do a pre-shade with black.

Also, Andy; how do you apply washes? Oil or acrylic, and are they pin washes or all-over washes?

• 1 month later...

Hya.

I love the look you have on both of the kits here. As everyone else has said the roughness doesn’t show. I’m currently torn on how to chip my current build. Usually I use AK chipping fluid but I might use painted chips this time. But looking here I’m thinking of chipping fluid again. Great work. 🤩

John.