Master Box 1/35 Patroling. Vietnam War series

9 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Good progress Nikolay, they're looking good. 👍🏼

Thanks, Roger! I painted her hair and performed some painting steps on the men, but now I need to made a pause before the build became boring or even frustrating.

• Like 1

Hello Britmodellers,

now I can call the Lady finished (except the nón lá):

48857090893_c17881fde3_k.jpg

The artifacts on the face caused by the light and the clear coat. I tried to push my skills to the limit and after the basic painting I added the brown wash on the neck, wrists and the ankles. The black wash was applied around the hair. Also I painted an eyebrows to give a face some alive feeling and added the Tire Black to the eyes. I think it’s enough with her because it’s just a single brush move between the «already done» and «ah, what have I done?!» states...

Thanks for looking! 😉

• Like 8

She's looking very good, Nikolay! :clap: 

Painting the eyes in this scale is a real challenge, overdoing it is a real risk - I think you chose a good compromise, she looks the part :goodjob:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

She's looking very good, Nikolay! :clap:

Thanks, Giorgio! :yes:

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Painting the eyes in this scale is a real challenge, overdoing it is a real risk - I think you chose a good compromise, she looks the part :goodjob:

Yes, I was aware of an oversized eyes looking in different directions... :drunk:

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 1

OK guys,

I mixed some paint and decided to give it a try on this man:

48863868647_ba97eb627e_k.jpg

It was a mixture of the AK Interactive paints instead of the basic Mr.HOBBY H303 I used on the panamas. Then I applied an artificial shadows with a darker tone and finally, the skin tone. The uniform was dry brushed and now looks worn.

Not a bad experience, but I need to try my preferred method with a Mr.HOBBY paint, too.

Thanks for looking! 😸

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, giemme said:

Looking good, Nikolay :clap:

Thanks, Giorgio! 👏

13 minutes ago, giemme said:

Are you going to add a dark wash to the uniform?

Yes, just after some touch-ups and the clear coat.

I think after all my experiments I can have the soldiers with a slightly different uniform colors. Well, we’ll see. Anyway, I need to try something new.

Also I rediscovered the great article about the uniforms and other stuff from the Vietnam War era: Vietnam - Equipment and Uniform. There’s a lot of the useful information and pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello friends,

my mother said that I need to paint the Lady’s eyes. Why not to try?! 🤔 Well, with a sliced toothpick I did it:

48907822247_99f5716b2f_k.jpg

The man also received some improvements on his face and ammunition:

48907090698_3d233f2196_k.jpg

As you can see, I decided to reproduce the «Tiger Stripe» camouflage pattern on a panama. Looks not bad when blurred on the picture! 😉

Thanks for watching! 👏

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Britmodellers! 👋

Last night I performed some work on the Lady and the Man:

48961469721_a22a2de432_k.jpg

After the clear coat was applied and dried, I put the wash on the soldier and glued the helmet and nón lá on the corresponding heads. As you can see on the previous post’s photo, the Man has the moulded mustache on his face that I’m already painted. 😸

Now the figures waiting for the final, dull coat:

48961469626_3a0ba05272_k.jpg

Also I started thinking about the small diorama base to put the figures on. Other kit parts (the three guys along with their ammunition) is in the bag - I haven’t had any mojo to work on them. Just don’t like that the kit... Sorry! 😬

That’s all for now, thanks for looking! 👍

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Dads203 said:

Some very nice figure work going on here :goodjob: they are going to look superb 

Thank you! 🤝 Just applied the first dull coat on the figures, but not achieved the desired results. Well, I’ll try to repeat the process soon. Also added the strap to M16A1 - will post the pictures next time.

• Like 1

TBH, I never gloss coat my figures, except for the eyes and worn out leather parts. It's hard to get an actual flat aspect afterwards.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, giemme said:

Thank you, Giorgio! 😉

55 minutes ago, giemme said:

TBH, I never gloss coat my figures, except for the eyes and worn out leather parts. It's hard to get an actual flat aspect afterwards.

I protected each «good» paint layer on the face and applied the clear coat overall the figures for the subsequent wash. The wash works well, but now the figures aren’t so dull on some places... I hope the next layer will work OK and will not be white of «frost»! 😬

• Like 1

Hello guys,

I applied additional layers of the dull coat and now the figures looks a bit better:

48979275417_f9ffbebcdb_k.jpg

As you can see, I purchased a small diorama base, some vegetation and Vietnam Earth pigment - now it’s time to try something new! 😉

• Like 5

Hello, friends! 🤝

I performed some work on a diorama base:

48994213218_67df2b6cb6_k.jpg

...and just finished the small vignette:

48995078137_be92c2ae37_k.jpg

@giemme, @Soeren, @Johnny Tip, @Roger Newsome, @modelman182, @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @Dads203 - I would like to thank you all for the support, tips and information along with an interest! 👏

Now it’s time to see the finished work:

Thanks for looking! 😎

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Nice finish Nikolay.

Thanks, Roger! 🤝

3 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

I might have to purchase some of those ferns myself for a little project I have planned. 😉

Yes, these ferns looks and feels great - it’s pleasure to work with! But the price isn’t so pleasurable... 😐

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very nice work Nikolay. :worthy:

Thank you, my friend! 👋

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

... You can feel the heat and grit on the GI from here.

Yes, looks hot! ☺️

• 3 weeks later...

Although I am extremely late to the party with this, I really enjoyed reading through this thread. The figures are fantastic and you really did them justice, I'd never heard of AK Interactive paint before either but I look forward to trying to get my hands on some in the future.

Thanks for the inspiration!
Steven

• Thanks 1

On 25/11/2019 at 23:41, ewing9593 said:

Although I am extremely late to the party with this, I really enjoyed reading through this thread.

Thank you Steven, it’s never too late to join the party! 😉

The figures are fantastic and you really did them justice, I'd never heard of AK Interactive paint before either but I look forward to trying to get my hands on some in the future.

Actually, I can’t say a lot about these paints at the moment, because I haven’t had a strong opinion about it yet. The consistency and palette needs some practice to work with...

Thanks for the inspiration!

Thank you for this kind of words! 🤝

• Thanks 1