Master Box 1/35 Patroling. Vietnam War series

6 hours ago, modelman182 said:

Great work, Nikolay.

Thank you, Kev! ☺️

Is it just my eyesight, or the does the second guy from the left in the five figure line-up look a LOT like the Silver Surfer from the second Fantastic Four film?? 🙂 

Yes, looks very similar... 😜

Perhaps a chrome silver undercoat, just so we can check? Go on - you know it'd be fun! 😉

I’m not sure, but why not?! Also we can check the natural hair for the other guys! 😬

Looks like the biggest dilemna with this kit is choosing which of the vast array of equipment you're going to fit!

There’s a some problem in comparison with the Dragon kits: excellent artwork on the box but some equipment positions (especially the backpacks) are vague (along with the painting scheme). I noticed it last night and decided to glue the equipment prior the painting to achieve the solid look of the soldiers. Will post some photos soon. 👍

Hello guys,

as the Kev (@modelman182) said, now we got the Silver Surfer here:

48802837421_a829caa3e0_k.jpg

Also the first man received the head treatment for placing the panama on. After unsuccessful painting attempt I decided to glue as much ammunition as possible and move forward with the build.

See you later! 👋

• Like 3

I just unexpectedly finished the assembly and hold some unglued details for later:

48803374277_d0a42139eb_k.jpg

Maybe I placed the backpacks a bit lower, but it’s looks OK for me.

The group shot before the painting:

48803235346_4700a3fa24_k.jpg

That’s all for now, thanks for watching! 😸

• Like 7

My Uncle served and died in country in October of ‘67. He was 1/9 cavalry and a combat tracker, the 5 man teams with a dog were sent in ahead of the larger forces to scout for the enemy. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, giemme said:

We want paint! We want paint! We want paint! We want paint!

Alright, I’ll do it! 👍 But later - I need to decide what the paints to use and what the method to choose.

2 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

What do we want? Paint!!!!!!

Yes, Sir! 😉

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My Uncle served and died in country in October of ‘67. He was 1/9 cavalry and a combat tracker, the 5 man teams with there dog were sent in ahead of the larger forces to scout for the enemy.

Sorry to hear it about your Uncle, Dennis. But I have the Dog in 35th scale. OK, now I cannot done something wrong with the painting - I’ll try my best at this stage.

Welcome aboard, Dennis! 🤝

• Like 3

Cheers, gentlemen! 👋

The Guys received the coat of a Mr.HOBBY’s H303 (as all the Dragon’s painting instructions said) and the Lady has the layers of XF-2 from Tamiya:

48813954797_f54038c576_k.jpg

After the first coat for the team I added a little bit of white paint and applied the second, light coat.

OK, let’s the paint dry and we’ll see what’s next! 👍

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, giemme said:

Nicr base coat, Nikolay :clap:

Thanks, Giorgio! 🤝

6 minutes ago, giemme said:

I take it's all airbrushed so far, right?

Yes, I decided to use an airbrush for all the possible work here. I haven’t enough skills on a brush painting with acrylics, I just use the enamel paints back in days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Johnny Tip said:

Ooh, looking forward to see the next colourful steps!

Eh... Actually, I painted the Lady’s trousers and it looks well, but want to repaint the guys - just because an ammunition deserves to get a coat of paint at first (this approach leads to more accurate results, in my opinion). In this case, I started all from the beginning. Also I watched a lot of the videos about the figures painting over the Net and finally decided to go my own way that works for me... twenty years ago. 😬

7 hours ago, Johnny Tip said:

Great work, Nikolay!

Thank you, Johnny - I’ll post some pictures soon! 🤝

Hello friends,

the Lady got some paint on her trousers and the helmets now have something like a USMC standard camouflage pattern (Wine Leaf):

48830416398_e7acb26da7_k.jpg

I can’t say that I like it a lot, so I’m waiting for your thoughts, guys! 😉

• Like 7

I'm not familiar with that camo, but it looks very good to me. Adding highlights, washes and filters should tie-up things and give a worn (or slighlty worn, that depends on what you're up to) look.

I prefer to paint figures top to bottom, that is: face first, then hair and the rest of the head (I mean cap, hat, helmet or whatever), then down to chest, arms, legs .... you get the point. I do this because this way I don't need to bother too much about paint spilling down (being clumsy and all...) and touch ups are easier that way. Just my :2c: worth of advice, seeing that you started painting the lady from her trousers; which look very smooth, BTW. Again, some highlights and they're gonna be just fine. HTH

Ciao

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

I'm not familiar with that camo, but it looks very good to me.

Thanks, Giorgio! Anyway, if it’ll not look good for me later, I can repeat the painting easily.

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Adding highlights, washes and filters should tie-up things and give a worn (or slighlty worn, that depends on what you're up to) look.

Yes, that’s what I want to do next.

1 hour ago, giemme said:

I prefer to paint figures top to bottom, that is: face first, then hair and the rest of the head (I mean cap, hat, helmet or whatever), then down to chest, arms, legs .... you get the point. I do this because this way I don't need to bother too much about paint spilling down (being clumsy and all...) and touch ups are easier that way. Just my :2c: worth of advice, seeing that you started painting the lady from her trousers; which look very smooth, BTW.

I clearly understand your point here, thank you for an advice! 🤝 As I love the brush feeded wit a lot of a paint (the one coat), I’m always start from the highest places of the figure, then put a paint on the lower surfaces. In this case I always have an edge where the next coat of the paint never gets and it’s absolutely irrelevant where I start - on the top, bottom or the front, etc. It works great for an enamels, hope will work with an acrylics.

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Again, some highlights and they're gonna be just fine. HTH

That’s a great idea - I need to do it! 👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

... and the helmets now have something like a USMC standard camouflage pattern (Wine Leaf)

I can’t say that I like it a lot, so I’m waiting for your thoughts, guys! 😉

Somehow I don't either, looks more like a ww2 pattern to me... I am always in trouble trying to see different colours in the typical helmet camo (ok got a little green-weakness with my eyes), and the original seems a lot darker to me... But maybe I just don't know you were going to darken it next🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Johnny Tip said:

Somehow I don't either, looks more like a ww2 pattern to me...

Yes, it’s just because I can’t reproduce the leaves accurately! 😝

35 minutes ago, Johnny Tip said:

I am always in trouble trying to see different colours in the typical helmet camo (ok got a little green-weakness with my eyes), and the original seems a lot darker to me...

An AK Interactive painting guide said to paint it even lighter, but I decided to go with more faded tones.

39 minutes ago, Johnny Tip said:

But maybe I just don't know you were going to darken it next🤷🏼‍♂️

Also I used the dry brush technique to lighten it and some dark brown wash and now the helmets looks not so bright. I’ll post the pictures soon and we’ll see the difference.

Thank you, Johnny! 🤝

• Like 2

Hello! 👋

Last night I painted an ammunition and applied the wash on the helmets, now it’s looks good for me:

48836077112_5d9b76a965_k.jpg

Also I started to paint the T-Shirts on the guys; the water-based «precise» painting looks not so extremely accurate, but the wash will helps a lot (I hope).

Thanks for watching! 🙃

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

and applied the wash on the helmets, now it’s looks good for me

Yep, I'm also on board! And really nice skin tone for the woman! 

Edited by Johnny Tip
Early post caused by big thumb
  • Thanks 1