Master Box 1/35 Patroling. Vietnam War series

Hello Britmodellers! 👋

While the Vigilante is under the leisure sanding work, I decided to build and paint some figures in parallel. Actually, I was a big fan of the Dragon’s «Nam» series back in the late ‘90s, so it’s not a surprise that I chose this kit. I’m not so hurry with this build, but I want to have some fun and recall my painting skills.

The box art:

48742093917_74b1d02d22_k.jpg

An «instruction» along with the painting scheme:

48741910126_7c95631d5d_k.jpg

Sprue A:

48741910046_1eb70d6fe3_k.jpg

Sprue A (backside):

48741910066_aa662a0704_k.jpg

Looks not not so bad in comparison with the Dragon, I think it’s an excellent sculpting work here.

Sprue B:

48742093847_decbc06470_k.jpg

I love the basic M16A1 on the left side of the sprue, but these on the right (along with M203) is something not so good in my opinion - I need something to replace these later.

Sprue B (backside):

48741582473_75821b63d6_k.jpg

This time I choose the water-based paints and get a two interesting sets:

48741910106_58e3d230b1_k.jpg

I’m not so experienced with this kind of paint, but I’m looking forward to try it (tasty pics, isn’t it?):

48741582463_1e60fb7044_k.jpg

Thanks for looking! 😸

• Like 11

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Great choice, I love Masterbox figures! :thumbsup:  Incredible level of detail for injected plastic, although they require a bit of cleaning for mould flesh.

Thanks, Giorgio! 🙂 Yes, some amount of the seam lines, but nothing serious.

28 minutes ago, Soeren said:

Nice. Following along. 

Thank you, Soeren!

The lady and her nón lá:

48752903946_f0672d4402_k.jpg

Very nice-quality plastic, it’s pleasure to work with.

Thank you, guys! 🤝

• Like 3

Those are a great set (as almost anything from Master Box), and it seems I didn't make the mistake, but the sculptor -your lady also has one leg that's shorter than the other?

Especially the barrel of the Weapon with the 30rd-magazine without M203 is, well... odd, to say the least. And not just on this one, but obviously on the mold itself, as it is/was present in all of my 3 Nam-boxes with that sprue. But as long as that's the only problem...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Johnny Tip said:

Those are a great set (as almost anything from Master Box), and it seems I didn't make the mistake, but the sculptor -your lady also has one leg that's shorter than the other?

Just a bit Johnny, just a bit - I think I’ll sort it later if I decide to do a small «Nam ground» placement for the figures.

Especially the barrel of the Weapon with the 30rd-magazine without M203 is, well... odd, to say the least.

Exactly! Looks like from the different kit from the different manufacturer... 😐 And the other two looks very Dragon-ish for me.

And not just on this one, but obviously on the mold itself, as it is/was present in all of my 3 Nam-boxes with that sprue.

I’m not surprised, but I think the Dragon M-16/AR-15 Family kit is all that I need to replace these odd rifles.

18 minutes ago, Johnny Tip said:

But as long as that's the only problem...

Yes, I noticed it, too! 👍 The fit is great and I’m almost finished the first man.

• Like 1

Hello guys,

just completed the second and third (the guy in T-Shirt on the right) figures:

48757703908_d14e11cc3a_k.jpg

Mr. T-Shirt has a separate pockets on his trousers - the wise decision to make the clothes more realistic. I drilled the ø1.0 mm holes in their feet to use a plastic rods as a handle.

P.S. And I got something for the faces:

48752903986_265e7dfea2_k.jpg

Thanks for looking! 😬

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Soeren said:

The figure detail is really good.

Yes, the details are really spot on!

4 hours ago, Soeren said:

Looking foward to your progress.

I hope I’ll not screw up this build on the painting job. The Dragon boxes show us a bit different colors to use, I need to compare them with the AK sets and choose the «right» direction...

Thank you, Soeren! 😉

Well, guys...

I completed the figures assembly and now I can post the group shot:

48768503676_9098c5d1c1_k.jpg

The first man deserves to be a more tanned but I’ll decide it later, on the skin painting stage.

The «rear» view:

48768706007_3438ba06a1_k.jpg

An equipment is partially cutted off the sprues and cleaned:

48768504316_2c1914b441_k.jpg

That’s all for today, thanks for looking! 🐈

• Like 5

Hello, Britmodellers! 👋

I have a very frustrating experience cleaning the seam lines from a grenades, but it’s all looks good now:

48779670373_bf6ff33ff1_k.jpg

Also I have done some painting procedures to manage what the colors I need to blend to achieve the best results. I use an AK Interactive paint and decided to made my own mixture and not the suggested in their painting guide.

Look what I got:

48780215597_4be292c2ef_k.jpg

1. The helmet has just a single layer of Ligh Green AK3024 - the base for the Leaves Camouflage pattern that I’ll try later.
  2. The hat has a coat of mixed Ligh Green AK3024 and Midtone Green AK3025 (the latter instead of a recommended Dark Green AK3023).
  3. The panama is painted with a triple mix of a Ligh Green AK3024, Midtone Green AK3025 and Grey Green AK3143 and has the color that I want to achieve - not too bright as the new uniform and has a slightly faded shade.

That’s all for now! Next will be the some additional experiments with a paints and priming.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, giemme said:

Wow, impressive job in cleaning up all those hanging bits :worthy:  Must have been a total chore :frantic: 

Thanks, Giorgio! 🤝 I spent a three evenings (about a hour per day) to make all these things done. Not so tedious, but you’re right - chore...

59 minutes ago, giemme said:

Nice job on the camo tones too :clap: 

Thanks! Just tried to reproduce the mixtures again and have a nice results! 👍

56 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Those look very well sculpted and cast figures, I think I might have to acquire some myself.

Sure Roger, these figures are great and worth buying! But I’m not going to say that these kits are better or a worse than a Dragon - just different. I think that the Dragon 3313 Marine Recon is absolutely amazingly sculpted kit and I haven’t seen any better Vietnam War kit yet (sure, in my opinion).

Thank you, guys! 😉

• Like 2

Good job on the 4 grunts (or 3 grunts and possibly an LT)!

I agree on the Force Recon Marines -only trouble I see is Dragon's ...ummm... how do I put this... the black guy is always the heavy gunner or grenadier! Most times there's a white main cast and a small black supporting cast -apart from SpecOps units, I think it was a bit more mixed... always gets my goat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Tip said:

Good job on the 4 grunts (or 3 grunts and possibly an LT)!

Thanks, Johnny! 🙂

I agree on the Force Recon Marines -only trouble I see is Dragon's ...ummm... how do I put this... the black guy is always the heavy gunner or grenadier!

I think it’s a some kind of a tradition - the good thing I must say.

Most times there's a white main cast and a small black supporting cast -apart from SpecOps units, I think it was a bit more mixed... always gets my goat.

But there’s also an artistic choice - ask the guys that make these beautiful box arts! The Dragon box art is something that you’d expect to see on the sprues, but it’s not about that kit. Not a fault, just a small difference.

• Like 1

OK,

I continue the experiment and mixed a olive-ish color for the ammo boxes and other bits:

48781930638_6296944639_k.jpg

This time it’s a mixture of a Light Green AK3024, US Field Drab AK3075 and Dark Green AK3023. I’m glad that I’m able to mix the colors and get the results that I want.

As the Johnny (@The Spadgent) said, all the «bits and bobs» are prepared for the «priming»:

48782293886_b3046f5c81_k.jpg

I used the quotes because it’s not a primer itself, but just a light coat of the spirit-based flat grey paint.

Thanks for looking! 😉

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 4

Great work, Nikolay.

Is it just my eyesight, or the does the second guy from the left in the five figure line-up look a LOT like the Silver Surfer from the second Fantastic Four film?? 🙂 

Perhaps a chrome silver undercoat, just so we can check? Go on - you know it'd be fun! 😉 

Looks like the biggest dilemna with this kit is choosing which of the vast array of equipment you're going to fit!

Kev

• Thanks 1