How can I do these Airfix markings for my Hasegawa 1/48 Draken?

SeaVenom

Probably the easiest way is to paint the yellow on the bare plastic first, then carefully cut some suitably sized square masks out of Tamiya tape and paint the camouflage colours over the top. The other method is to buy a sheet of sold yellow decal paper and cut all the squares the correct size! Both applications sound pretty tedious however they might work out. I believe there’s also a sheet of yellow checker squares available, however trying to match these to the correct size may be very difficult. 

Cheers. Dave. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

I've been meaning to finish my Draken off for ages in this well know scheme but I don't know how to do the shedload of yellow squares,,

https://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/mansdraken.htm

Unless they're imaginary markings that Airfix made up I'm surprised Hasegawa hasn't done this scheme yet.

Scan in the Airfix decals, resize to1/48 and print on decal paper!

• Haha 1

Ah, the "Övning 68" squares!

They were quite the rage at a large exercise in 1968 after the coup in Czechoslovakia, here is a quick summary (but in Swedish)

https://www.forsvarsmakten.se/sv/information-och-fakta/var-historia/artiklar/o68/

Both yellow and red squares were used.

There is actually decals available for it in 1/48

https://www.rebell.com/swedish-air-force-fluorescent-squares-9468.html

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Christer A said:

Ah, the "Övning 68" squares!

They were quite the rage at a large exercise in 1968 after the coup in Czechoslovakia, here is a quick summary (but in Swedish)

https://www.forsvarsmakten.se/sv/information-och-fakta/var-historia/artiklar/o68/

Both yellow and red squares were used.

There is actually decals available for it in 1/48

https://www.rebell.com/swedish-air-force-fluorescent-squares-9468.html

Only far more expensive at Rebell Hobby compared to Fantasyprintshop in UK I am afraid (#4)...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sammy da fish said:

Surly Paul J the Airfix decals would be for a 1/72 aircraft where as Hasegawa’s Draken is 1/48?

simon

Yes . I had to stop mid message as I was at work and forgot to go back and finish off what I was writing.  Am aware the subject is 48th but wanted to say perhaps the 72 ones could be scaled up by scanning. Alternatively I have some yellow check  decals If I know what size the 48th ones need to be I can measure the decals I have to see if they are useable for the build.

I notice those squares are flourescent but as far as I recall the squares were just non flourescent yellow in the old Airfix kit.   The Swedish roundels in the Hasegawa kit have yellow in them but should they have that flourescent yellow too -- or was it just the squares that were flourescent for the 1968 exercise?   

Edited by SeaVenom

Those Euro-decals that have been linked to a couple of times är both flourescent and in the correct scale. These markings were done in Day-glo as we Swedes called this paint, and totally different from the yellow used for roundels, letters and so on.

Swedish Air Force have used lots of Day-glo, both yellow and orange, and that is the correct shade, no matter what Airfix printed :)

The Eurodecals are the ones you should use!

-Correct in scale and colours. Both lemon and red were used

-well researched. (Emil is a technical officer in the SwAF, also a modeller interested in SwAF history)

-each square of the decal is surrounded by a narrow edge of gloss decal film. This is what they looked like in real life! Each square was a decal IRL, secured in place with clear sealing laquer.

-Some good examples of real a/c can be seen in the surprisingly good Aircraft-in-Scale article in SAM, vol 7 no 9 (IIRC). Mind the versions of the J35, though, The hasegawa kit kan easily be built as a J35 J or J35 F. To make earlier versions small mods/aftermarket must be used.

-See if you can find pics of the a/c you want to model, preferrably in colour. The markings were applied for large manouvers but at unit level, variations from marking instructions could be seen (the squares were supposed to go on top of the left wing only, outer main landing gear doors and both sides of fin). They were often left on the a/c after manouvers, and tended to tear/fall off over time. This lead to some interesting, slightly tattered looking examples. The olive green/Dark blue to colours could fade quite a bit leading to interesting weathering, well worth trying to capture on your model.

Edited by Tomas Enerdal
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 1:36 PM, Tomas Enerdal said:

The Eurodecals are the ones you should use!

-Correct in scale and colours. Both lemon and red were used

-well researched. (Emil is a technical officer in the SwAF, also a modeller interested in SwAF history)

-each square of the decal is surrounded by a narrow edge of gloss decal film. This is what they looked like in real life! Each square was a decal IRL, secured in place with clear sealing laquer.

-Some good examples of real a/c can be seen in the surprisingly good Aircraft-in-Scale article in SAM, vol 7 no 9 (IIRC). Mind the versions of the J35, though, The hasegawa kit kan easily be built as a J35 J or J35 F. To make earlier versions small mods/aftermarket must be used.

-See if you can find pics of the a/c you want to model, preferrably in colour. The markings were applied for large manouvers but at unit level, variations from marking instructions could be seen (the squares were supposed to go on top of the left wing only, outer main landing gear doors and both sides of fin). They were often left on the a/c after manouvers, and tended to tear/fall off over time. This lead to some interesting, slightly tattered looking examples. The olive green/Dark blue to colours could fade quite a bit leading to interesting weathering, well worth trying to capture on your model.

Thanks also for that.

I just spoke to Emil about the real 1:1 markings.

The squares were cut out from large sheets of decal. They could therefore vary in size if the instructions were not followed exactly. From pics they look uniform in size, though.

Some were not sealed with laquer, they were required for the duration of the manouvers only, it was thought that they would last long enough anyway. May have speeded up the loss of squares on tattered looking a/c.

This underscores the old truth; better base your build on pics of the real aircraft if accuracy is important. 

Aftermarket decals for 1/48 Swedish national insignia are available, Flying colors Aerodecals comes to mind. 

I went looking for photos of these aircraft in real life but my Google fu failed me, all I got was links to models. Does anyone have links to photos of these aircraft wearing these markings in service? 

Thanks,

Steve.