Pocher F40 with Autograph Transkit 1:8

I've checked my references, had to go thru my 288 GTO and 288 Evoluzione photos to find the answer.

The tube is not attached to the gearbox, but runs straight down (as you mentioned earlier). Took me some time to find what the tube does (I don't know a lot about engines / gearboxes).

The tube is part of the gearbox breather system. A breather prevents pressure from building up inside the gearbox. Without a breather the pressure can cause oil leaks.

The breather allows hot air to escape and fresh cooler air to come in. The breather is the part that looks like a hexagonal bolt (attached to the top of the gearbox housing).

These photos are from a 288 GTO, but they show the breather and the tube :

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sincerely

Pascal

• Like 2

Big update today. I have completed the front suspension and brakes. Its nice to be able to tidy up the workbench with these assemblies. Getting all the nuts and bolts to cooperate when assembling the front suspension required some small paint touch-ups. You will see some notable scratch-built details on the brake calipers. I also received my next project. I will be building a Pocher 993. The plan is to build a GT2 clubsport, new front splitter, rear wing, widebody fenders and roll cage. Not to mention custom built wheels. But for now, the F40.

IMG_0018 21

IMG_0020 2

IMG_0046 2

IMG_5384 2

IMG_5861 2

IMG_8713 2

IMG_5556 2

IMG_8219 2

IMG_7954 2

IMG_9864 13

IMG_6094 2

Edited by terrible4130
  • Like 4

Hello,

I have been on a steady push to complete the front end. I found the kevlar decals to be very enjoyable to apply. I ended up covering all monocoque and bucket seat shells. I tried to capture as much detail as possible on the pedal assembly. This required a bit of additional scratch building. It took me two tries for the hoses that come off the radiator. My second solution ive shown turned out to be very successful. 4mm bent brass tube soldered together as a sub assembly then inserted into the radiator PE with small polystyrene plugs. This allowed me to add the finicky hose clamps mush easier. Still a bit of clean up work also some more decals and some detail hardware and the front end should be done done...

IMG_0110

IMG_0106

IMG_0109

IMG_0113

IMG_0112

IMG_0111

IMG_0114

IMG_0115

Thanks for looking. More updates soon!

• Like 5

Dan, It is tempting to weather, but my plan for this was to build a showroom version. There will be a bit of weathering on the exhaust. My plan is to build another LM version of this build in the Pilot Pen livery. That one I would like to do substantial weathering.

spacer.png

Yea, the green strips are just vinyl decals. I did have to do a fair bit of touchups on the decals. Just by cutting patches with the leftover decal material. Luckly as long as you match the pattern it is almost indistinguishable. Thanks for all the positive comments. 

Now I have to decide where to build next. I have been avoiding the turbos and exhaust. Im thinking about perhaps building the dash, or even the wheels next. Stay tuned. 

• Like 1

Ah, yes the turbos and exhaust! I have spent more than a couple of hours over the past few weeks figuring out how to make and attach the eye bolts to the hoses and turbos. I have finally done it after about 4-5 different failed scenarios. I just need to do some repaint on one of the turbos and one header and paint the WM fittings and then I’ll be ready for that assembly. I also decided to change the exhaust and that has held me up some too. Hopefully, I can make enough progress this weekend to post over on my thread. 
I received a question regarding the decals. Somebody said that, they saw where Uli mentions using something like wallpaper paste to put down the decals but, that doesn’t sound right. You put them down like regular decals, correct?

I hope you are able to work everything out with your next steps. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Yea the decals are applied as normal. Im not sure what he was saying with the paste. Tips are just cutting them slightly oversized. A small amount of dish soap in the water. Brushing on Microsol and using a hair dryer. Some of the big symmetrical decals I actually cut in half to manage easier. Just as a precautionary measure.

Edited by terrible4130

• 2 months later...

I have been slowly making progress on the interior and after a final push It is complete! I had some challenges wrapping the seat fabric. I had to change the type of contact adhesive I used. Also the fabric on the rear of the interior tub had to be upholstered a couple times until I was happy. Luckily I just ordered red and grey women's tights from amazon for like 5 bucks. This fabric was very very similar to what was in the Transkit. Same with the seat belts material. The Transkit didn't come with much extra so I had to start over and purchased red ribbon from Amazon and it worked perfectly. Next is a couple finishing touches to the Dash. Then Its time to roll up the sleeves and tackle the turbos and exhaust...

IMG_0518

IMG_0517

IMG_0523

IMG_0522

IMG_0521

IMG_0525

• Like 4

13 hours ago, terrible4130 said:

Luckily I just ordered red and grey women's tights

Yep, these tights tend to come in handy 😉 

Seriously, that looks like a job well done. Very neat.

• 1 month later...

Big update today! I have had alot of parts laying around. Everything is finally falling into place. All the piping from the manifolds to the turbos / muffler were tricky. Alot of dry-fitting and adjusting was necessary. I ended up having to scratch build the two lengths from the "Y" to the tips of the manifolds. Now onto wiring...

IMG_0852

IMG_0853

IMG_0854

IMG_0855

IMG_0858

IMG_0861

I Cut these two white metal parts in half and sandwiched a scratch-built brass bracket for an easy mounting solution.

IMG_0862

I also scratch-built a throttle body.

IMG_0863

IMG_0864

IMG_0865

IMG_0866

IMG_0868

IMG_0869

IMG_0870

Edited by terrible4130
  • Like 8

Beautiful work! Thanks for the reference materials on this section of the engine. I did have a question about how the PE part fits on the actual waste gate itself. Once it’s folded it doesn’t look like it fits around the two round waste gate pieces. Maybe I’m just looking at it wrong. I also like the way you molded the MB brass pieces onto the exhaust headers and integrated the waste gate pipes in to make it appear to be part of each header. Keep up the great work!

Thanks, The PE parts around the waste gate required alot of adjustments. I actually had to do that area over a couple times. I have 2 extra engine kits and had to scrap one of the waste gate parts in the process of a failed attempt. If you can be more specific I can try and let you know how I solved it. I was able to photograph an F40 a few weeks ago with the rear clamshell off. Also on a lift with the wheels off. I have hundreds of photos. If you need a close-up of anything specific just let me know.