Pocher F40 with Autograph Transkit 1:8

I have chosen to document my progress on this immense build. The long discontinued Pocher F40 with the famous Autograph Transkit. I grew up making military models and believe it or not this is more or less my first automotive build. This kit unlike most others requires a certain level of skill and patients that I hope I can manage. 

And so we begin...

IMG_6518

Edited by terrible4130
  • Like 5

Here is the shape of the transaxle from about a month ago. You can see the various additional hardware I purchased from MMC and Knupfer. I will post the Engine this evening in its current state with much more additional hardware and scratch-built details. Also, I 3D printed and engine stand. I found this to be very helpful as I made progress as well as a nice display as I work on various other areas of the F40.

IMG_6619

IMG_6632

IMG_6636

IMG_6645

IMG_6633

IMG_6635

• Like 4

Looks much cleaner than mine, nice work. I can see the additional hardware from Knupfer that, I don't have. The acorn nuts on the valve covers and small studs and nuts on the rear cam covers and a few here and there on the bell housing etc. I can stop posting on my thread now!

Here is where I am at currently with the motor. Many, many hours of studying not only instructions provided by Autograph, but scouring the internet for photos and diagrams. Also the invaluable help from others who have made this journey. You guys included!! Im still working thru the airbrushing and deciding final finishing on the headers at the moment so they are just dry fit. 

IMG_6781 IMG_6777 IMG_6779 IMG_6778

Edited by terrible4130
  • Like 3

larchiefeng,

Apparently you are much further along than me. You are paving the way! This is pretty much the extent of my build at the moment. I have built the rotors and calipers, but will share once I get into those particular assemblies.

IMG_6643

IMG_6753

IMG_6759

IMG_6776

I then realized I had to remove the side braces in step 18A just to fit the assembly. Its a tight fit!

IMG_6785 2

Edited by terrible4130
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic! Two F40 / Autograph builds running along side each other.

Looking really good, Terrible.

I’m wondering about the color of the timing belt covers.

if I may, every picture I see of the real engine, shows a somewhat matt light grey color, instead of a metallic color.

So I’m wondering if you (and Wayne for that matter) have it correct.

Question: what did you use to get rid of the paint that was on the body?

Pouln,

Thanks alot. Regarding the timing belt covers, the photos make it look a bit more shiney than they are. I referenced photos and painted them as such. Semi gloss grey base layer then a light mist of aluminum for a bit of texture as the reference photos suggested.

Brot,

Its the least I could do. I had studied all the work-in progress Autograph F40 builds I could find. I must return the favor

• Like 1

22 hours ago, terrible4130 said:

Brot,

Its the least I could do. I had studied all the work-in progress Autograph F40 builds I could find. I must return the favor

This is something I highly respect and try to do myself. Being a wargames miniatures painter for quite a while I followed the rise and fall of several huge and vivid forums. I even moderated some of them. These days most forums die because the highly skilled members rather show off finished masterpieces on facebook or closed communities like P&P than in the forums where they had their humble beginnings. No longer interested in true feedback and not really interested in helping others. The last point is especially disappointing, since most are neither unfriendly nor unwilling to help. They simply chose it's not worth to post work in progress on a forum since there's enough "reward" in collecting likes. With such a small subgenre of modelling this leads to forums being ghost villages or shut down completely.

It is most educational to post work in progress pictures, even if there's not a single comment to them. Pictures may provoke questions, and most people are helpfull and willing to fill in the points in question. The community gains lots of knowledge, tips and hints, even warnings about pitfalls, the modeller receives honest feedback and usually enough "likes" to be motivated to continue. To me this is a win-win-situation.

So again - To you terrible (without a name), and also to all others, that post their work in progress. Thank you!

Jan

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

So again - To you terrible (without a name), and also to all others, that post their work in progress. Thank you!

Jan

Perfectly stated, noble sentiments.

21 minutes ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

No longer interested in true feedback and not really interested in helping others.

To this list add a small group of professional (for money) builders who post trolling for customers. Seldom respond to questions or acknowledge compliments. Just post 'job' after job in search of more clients.

• Like 2

Quick update. The radiator was a bit challenging. I epoxy'd everything together but the order of operation was a bit of a puzzle. Luckily I can use nail polish remover to clean up the excess epoxy that got a bit sloppy on the PE radiator assembly. I had to jump ahead to the front radiator to ensure I had their mounting brackets located correctly. I also have continued to scratch build some additional details on the front clip from the f40 diagrams. I have a couple more touches id like to add before painting the entire front clip semi-gloss black. 

IMG_0037

I Had to do alot of modifications to the Pocher frame to accept the radiator. I also have trimmed the PE on the radiator shown below in green:

IMG_0040 copy

IMG_0044

IMG_0043

IMG_0041

Next is alot of assembly. Mainly focused on the front suspension. I have completed the front brakes and parts for suspension and will post that soon. 

Thanks

Brad

• Like 2

Looks good, I also had a little trouble with the radiator and I think that, I made an error in the way the fins went together. I had to add some spacers and an additional piece of fins to get it to look correct. However, it's on the front side and it won't be seen. I'm also adding a resin LM duct at the front and the radiator has to lay flatter to mate with it. Looking forward to your next update. :selfie:

I'm glad it helped. I noticed that when I was assembling the radiator it was coming out way too thin and that's where the plastic spacers came from. I have a question for you now. I was looking at your engine pictures and I noticed this oil line circled on the trans axle. I know that, I've seen it before on other builds but, for some reason I don't remember seeing it on the instructions; did I miss it somewhere? I'm also seeing the 3 washers embedded on your header up by the head; I'm pretty sure that's an add that doesn't appear anywhere in the instructions as well, correct? Anyway, keep up the great work! :envy:

spacer.png 

• Like 1

Both things you've mentioned were additional details ive scratch-built to be more realistic. Looking at photos and the diagrams that came with the kit you see there is so much more you can do. Its just a matter of where you draw the line.

I kinda had a feeling that was the case and I’m also doing some things that aren’t in the transkit. There’s so much more that you can do beyond the 1000’s of parts in the transkit and, that sounds pretty crazy 😜
I haven’t looked but, the line off the transaxle goes to the rear, does it go to one of the coolers that go in the rear lower body panel  or somewhere else?

I built a little landing on the top of the trans axle with polystyrene and used the brass rod as shown in the diagram. I also built a little strap as you can see. The brass rod represents a small tube that actually just drains straight down after a few 90 degree turns. Look at the F40 diagrams included in the instructions.

On 10/7/2019 at 5:55 PM, terrible4130 said:

I built a little landing on the top of the trans axle with polystyrene and used the brass rod as shown in the diagram. I also built a little strap as you can see. The brass rod represents a small tube that actually just drains straight down after a few 90 degree turns. Look at the F40 diagrams included in the instructions.

Nice to see another F40 with the transkit being build.  Good progress sofar.

The small tube that you mentioned is not a drain. It is an oil bypass tube that leads oil from the forward part of the gearbox to the back of the gearbox. On the F40 diagrams and on "showcase" F40 engines, this tube is cut off at the bottom and leads nowhere. But it should be connected to the back of the gearbox. I'll check my references and hope to be able to tell you where exactly it connects to the gearbox.

Sincerely

Pascal

Edited by Pascal

Pascal,

Thanks, I have made a lot more progress, I will be posting soon. I couldn't find any good photos of where that little tube went. I would love to see a photo if you have one. Although it may be too late foe me to fix it. We will see.