Spitfire Mk XIVe Highback, and FR XIVe Bubbletop - more photo's of painting, Nov13

Tail-Dragon

I'm working on a Spitfire XIVe highback by converting the Airfix 1/48 Spit XIX without kitbashing. I realize there are easier ways to get there, but I purchased the kit and parts when these were the only options, so I may as well use them.  

I'm also grateful for all the info I've been able to get from this website, many excellent modellers have gone down this road in various ways, and I value the knowledge they've been willing to share. Thank you, all.

I'm using the Airfix 1/48 Mk XIX, Barracudacast 4 spoke wheels, and cylinder head covers (to correct the short kit covers), Ultracast's Sitfire seat with late harness, access door, and Mk XIVe cannon barrels. I'm also going to use Quickboost's Gyro gunsight.

I've filled the unwanted panel lines and blisters/intakes and camera ports with Zap glue and talc, Millput, or scrap plastic. I shortened the ailerons, scribed the appropriate panel lines, and added the blisters from stretched sprue, reprofiled Eduard FW-190 bombs, and cannon bases from aluminum tubing.

I've scratch built the inner fuselage lower section to cover the wing root cavities, drilled out the lightening holes in the cockpit frames, opened up the rear bulkhead, opened the access door, built up the aft fixed canopy sill, replaced the cylinder head covers with the Barracudacast parts, and drilled out the exhaust, torque links and tie down point.

Image1

Image1

Image3

Image5

Image2

Image4

It's the long way to go, but, as I said, at the time it was the only option …

… and the work continues.

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 18

The cockpit is finished, and ready to close up.  It's using Mike Grant instrument decals, Ultracast's Spitfire seat with late style harness, with the harness extended with plastic strip to drape over the rear bulkhead frame. It also has Quickboost's gyro gunsight with combiner lenses from .005" clear plastic, scratchbuilt compressed air bottles and trim wheel. 

Cockpit 1

Cockpit 4

Cockpit 2

Cockpit 5

• Like 21

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Spitfire Mk XIVe Highback, Airfix conversion - new photo's Sept 23
1 hour ago, Thom216 said:

Great work in the cockpit. Sure there may be a kit out for it now, but there's something special about piecing it all together for yourself.

Thanks!  I'm planning on a parallel build with a 'bubbletop' - 402 Squadron, (The Winnipeg Bears) RCAF, operated highbacks and bubbletops side by side in the last months of the war.

402 XIVe Highback

402 XIVe Bubbletop

Seems like an interesting side by side build to me.

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I like this. I have the XIX kit in the stash but wasn't too happy about the bottom of the fuselage in the cockpit. May I ask what your solution is? It looks like resin inserts?

Hi 

The cockpit inner skins are just .010" plastic rolled over an x-acto knife handle are run under boiling water (took a few tries to get the arc right). I used the instrument panel and seat frame as templates to get the arc right. Then just above where the fuselage 'bells' out, scrape down as close to .010' as you can get and trim piece to fit.  After cementing, I layed one fuselage side on a sheet of glass, with the new piece hanging over, and trimmed it flush with the fuselage mating edges. Tape the fuselage sides together and trim the other side to match, add tabs on one side, and hide the fuselage/extension joint with new stringers, add the rest of the stringers and frames with strip, and your off to the races. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

The XIVe Highback is getting close, and I've started on the FR XIVe Bubbletop. I want them to arrive at the paint shop together.  Once again, Ultracast's late style seat, Quickboost's gyro gunsight, and mike Grant's instrument decals.

Image10

Image13

The FR XIVe cockpit ...

Image1

Image2

The pair as they are now ...

Image15

• Like 18

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Spitfire Mk XIVe Highback, and FR XIVe Bubbletop - new photo's Oct 10

I've also found that 402 Squadron, RCAF,  (Winnipeg Bears) also operated the XIVe with full span wings and no camera port before the end of the war (several being lost to flak) … so … I guess I have another to build!

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

… and the work continues. I've been finishing off both airframes, filling rivet holes (why do they do this?) refining panel lines, finishing and installing gunsights, and working on the canopies. For the vacuform canopy, I've added inner framework from strip, guide rails for the sliding section (it actually slides open and closed on the tracks) and the emergency canopy release's from brass wire, blobs of 5 minute epoxy, and strip. The smallest item I had to scratch was the mirror for the highback XIVe. Slowly getting there ...

Image21

Image22

Image23

Image24

Image25

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 11

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Spitfire Mk XIVe Highback, and FR XIVe Bubbletop - new photo's added Oct 28th

Ooh, those are both mighty fine.  An encounter with the late-60s (FROG?) Mk.XIV and V1 combo made this my favourite of all Spitfire versions (though the Seafire 46 trumps even a XIV).

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Ooh, those are both mighty fine.  An encounter with the late-60s (FROG?) Mk.XIV and V1 combo made this my favourite of all Spitfire versions (though the Seafire 46 trumps even a XIV).

That's the kit I first discovered the Mk XIV when I was 14!  I've always thought the XIV was the most elegant Spit!

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

At last the painting has started, first the canopy inner color, and the wing leading edge yellow, then after masking the yellow, the lower surface Sea Grey medium (I'm using Tamiya's acrylic) Upper surfaces when it is safe to mask the lowers ...

Image34

Image33

Image31

Image32

Finish line is in sight now!

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 10

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Spitfire Mk XIVe Highback, and FR XIVe Bubbletop - latest photo's added Nov10th
On 29/10/2019 at 08:40, Tail-Dragon said:

That's the kit I first discovered the Mk XIV when I was 14!  I've always thought the XIV was the most elegant Spit!

The Griffon makes the Spitfire, and Seafire, look very purposeful and powerful. The high back XIV is a favourite of mine too, along with the Seafire 46. I couldn't believe my luck when I found the Novo repop of the Frog XIV back in 1982. I never finished the kit because of university and I couldn't get past the ridiculously thick transparencies. I will wait for the high back XIV to come out in 1/48 though.

Nice build so far.

The upper surfaces are now masked and painted, I used paper paint masks off the web and am quite happy with the result. There's a little refinement to be done, but overall the results seem quite good.

Image41

Image42

Image43

Hope you like so far ...

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 10

• Tail-Dragon changed the title to Spitfire Mk XIVe Highback, and FR XIVe Bubbletop - more photo's of painting, Nov13
13 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

The upper surfaces are now masked and painted, I used paper paint masks off the web and am quite happy with the result. There's a little refinement to be done, but overall the results seem quite good.

Image41

Hope you like so far ...

Pleased my old camo pattern is still relevant. 👍🏽

GRE

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vanroon said:

Pleased my old camo pattern is still relevant. 👍🏽

GRE

I had no idea who to attribute that camo mask to, so I'm glad you posted.  Thanks much for making that available, it's very handy!

Cheers

Colin

• 3 weeks later...