RAAF Earth Brown Tamiya mix

Clifton

Hi there, everyone!  I was wondering if anyone has a Tamiya paint (or paint mixture) they like for RAAF Earth Brown.  I'm planning on doing a few models in RAAF colours and I would appreciate any suggestions that anyone has.  I've found lots of info on Foliage Green (which is an entirely different can of worms!) but really not much on Earth Brown.

Thanks!

I'm surprised no one has any ideas for an Earth Brown paint or paint mix.  I guess there aren't that many Tamiya paint users on this forum, or maybe not that much interest in the RAAF during WWII.  I suppose I'll see if there are any Australian model forums who might be able to help.

Hey Clifton

If you are only looking for acrylic paints, then why not try Vallejo Model Air

71.323 Dark Earth

71.324 Dark Green 

71.307 Med. Sea Grey

These are spot on based on the paint chips in the back of the book "BRITISH AVIATION COLOURS OF WORLD WAR TWO" official camouflage from 1939 to 1945 RAF aircraft.

If you don't already know this book is from the RAF museum.

Ron G 

Edited by Crankycraftsman
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Crankycraftsman said:

If you are only looking for acrylic paints, then why not try Vallejo Model Air

These are RAF colours.  the OP was asking about RAAF,  Australian colours.

FWIW Lifecolour do a set 

lc-xs01-l.png

PS Vallejo model air is 'matched' to FS 30099,  which is quoted as being a match for RAAF Earth Brown

11464-thickbox_default.jpg

or

vallejo-model-color-149-chocolate-brown-

the first digit of the FS 595 refers to paint sheen, 1=gloss, 2=satin, 3=matt  BTW

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for the replies, Crankycraftsman and Troy!  Unfortunately I don't have an airbrush, which is why I'm trying to stick to Tamiya colors.  I know Tamiya makes a several browns--and even red browns--but I'm not sure they're the right shade.  If I were to try a different brand of paint, I would lean toward Testors, but I don't think they make the correct shade (as Troy mentions, close to FS30099).  That's why I was hoping for a Tamiya mix anyone liked!

Probably a highly subjective answer, however are you wanting to portray a fresh finish (say RAAF Wirraway straight off the production line) or a sun bleached worn finish for an aircraft exposed to our harsh environment? The RAAF browns have a distinctive 'red' tinge through them so something similar to Humbrol 98 Chocolate (Fresh) to Tamiya XF-64 Red Brown may be something to look at. A worn in-service finish can look like anything over time so I honestly wouldn't loose sleep over it. 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Clifton said:

Unfortunately I don't have an airbrush,

Vallejo model colour  is the brush paint, and it brushes very well.   If you can get it easily you might want to try some.

I do have a book on the P-39 in RAAF service, which has paint chips in it, but it's not accessible.   I don't really trust Vallejo's naming and "matches" so i like to brush out samples and compare to chips.  

Vallejo also do FS 34092

val895z.jpg

I looked, for my own curiosity, if vallejo do FS35550,  they do in Model Air, which is "sky blue" but the Model Colours "sky blue" is a different colour.  

Vallejo would do well to standardise color names between their paint ranges..... grrrrr

Testors apparently do a RAAF Sky Blue BTW

https://www.squadron.com/Testors-RAAF-Sky-Blue-TS5248-p/ts5248.htm

• Like 3

Thanks, Rabbit Leader.  I know a lot of these colors open a can of worms, so to speak, and I think your advice not to worry too much about it is well taken!  I'm of the opinion that if it looks right, then that's good enough for me.

Thanks for the info about the Testors RAAF Sky Blue, Troy.  I have also read that the color is close to RLM 76 (a color I already have), so I'll probably check that out first.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Clifton said:

I have also read that the color is close to RLM 76

Agree... I'd add a dash of white to the 76, even though this is normally quite a light blue. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

In my personal experience, the Vallejo Model Color beat the Tamiya paints by a wide margin when it comes to brushing. The only thing to keep in mind is that they need to be applied on a primed surface, they don't stick well to bare plastic. If you have a local source, give them a try, they are among the very best modelling paints around for users of the good old hairy stick

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2019 at 6:40 PM, Troy Smith said:

Testors apparently do a RAAF Sky Blue BTW

https://www.squadron.com/Testors-RAAF-Sky-Blue-TS5248-p/ts5248.htm

Thanks for the link, Troy!  I think Testors has discontinued this color; like many hobby companies, they've dropped a bunch of colors from their paint line.  Luckily, I can follow Dave's suggestion above, adding a touch of white to RLM 76.  I sure appreciate all of the help that y'all have given!