Heinkel He 51B-2(W) Float Plane

Getting this far (and it looking almost symmetrical) with butt joints aplenty is probably the trickiest modelling I have ever done.  I have come close to chucking it in the bin a couple of times in the last 24 hours...

48889896206_3e19087ff3_b.jpg

48890076167_3154e1bae1_b.jpg

Cheers

Dave

• Like 6

Hi Dave

I'm doing a Special hobby kit and am just behind you in construction with wings just about to go on .  Yep but joints give plenty of oportunities to get it wrong .  Yours however is looking good and solid . I'V been useing some vicious glue ( E.M.R plastic weld ) to keep mine together and with the soft plastic its like the glue bosts ,welded together.

Good luck with your painting

Cheers

Alistair

29 minutes ago, Mottlemaster said:

Hi Dave

I'm doing a Special hobby kit and am just behind you in construction with wings just about to go on .  Yep but joints give plenty of oportunities to get it wrong .  Yours however is looking good and solid . I'V been useing some vicious glue ( E.M.R plastic weld ) to keep mine together and with the soft plastic its like the glue bosts ,welded together.

Good luck with your painting

Cheers

Alistair

Hi Alistair

Thanks for your post and good luck with your build.   I did put some pins in the front strut of the floats but otherwise it was tamiya extra thin and superglue.  Onwards to the painting.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

That has come together very well. My Roden one did as well. Then I started the rigging and all went wrong because I used the wrong glue. I must have knocked the top wing off four times. Went through three kits and still ended up with a wooden strut.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2019 at 7:09 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Dave, cockpit interior looks great and getting it all together it looks fabulous.  You have done well on your first Special Hobby kit.

Keep up the good work.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris much appreciated.

Dave

On 10/13/2019 at 9:24 PM, Courageous said:

Nowt wrong with that, must be getting close to primer time.

Stuart

Absolutely Stuart in fact I have got a bit further...

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 5:59 PM, Greg Law said:

That has come together very well. My Roden one did as well. Then I started the rigging and all went wrong because I used the wrong glue. I must have knocked the top wing off four times. Went through three kits and still ended up with a wooden strut.

I haven’t got to the rigging yet Greg.   I have to admit I am slightly nervous.   When you say the wrong glue what did you use?

Dave

On 10/15/2019 at 11:16 PM, jrlx said:

Looks beautiful, very well done! Looking forward to seeing some paint on it :)

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime

Dave

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 11:12 PM, pheonix said:

That is shaping well - butt joints can be a pain in the butt but pins can be used to strengthen them. In any event it all looks fine at the moment - just hope the rigging does not distort anything.

P

Cheers P.  As mentioned above I am somewhat wary of rigging...we shall see.

Dave

2 minutes ago, Davek72 said:

I haven’t got to the rigging yet Greg.   I have to admit I am slightly nervous.   When you say the wrong glue what did you use?

The glue I first used was the Zap CA thin CA. This was terrible. I more often than not took more than a Half an hour to glue one end. In the meantime the glue was making a mess of the wing in a big way.

In the end I discovered Zap-A-Gap worked for me. However that was the last few parts of the rigging. I have used it for aerials since and it has worked well. This is using EZline. If you use it don't put

too much tension on it. Just enough to get a torte line. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice and support but I am sorry to announce this an abort.  The rigging was a nightmare and during the process I managed to break the float struts on two occasions.  I also managed to lift a ton of paint work with CA accelerator.   I have lost the battle.    On the plus point I have learnt a few things and if I ever attempt another one of these I will do things quite differently.... actually what am I talking about I not going to do this kit again 😉

Good luck everyone with your builds and thanks again for watching and commentating.  

Dave

• Sad 5

Sorry to hear this. However I do understand. Sounds like you had the same problems I did. The only thing that kept me going was that the kit was a birthday present from my daughter. It sits at the back of cabinet,  so looks ok as long as you don't look to closely. 

2 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Sorry to hear this. However I do understand. Sounds like you had the same problems I did. The only thing that kept me going was that the kit was a birthday present from my daughter. It sits at the back of cabinet,  so looks ok as long as you don't look to closely. 

Cheers Greg.  It does sound like we have had a bit of an experience.  Glad you got yours sorted.   Dave

Sorry to know about the problems at the late stage... Perhaps taking a break and getting back to the build latter would allow you to salvage it.

Best of luck

Jaime