Heinkel He 51B-2(W) Float Plane

I really shouldn't be doing this....but as I have just finished a big project at work I am hopeful I might get some bench time over the next month or so.  If that is correct then I have an outside chance of actually completing a GB.

Anyway having looked through the stash this is one of the few kits that qualifies.

48738170357_a31b3e83af_b.jpg

I have never made a Special Hobby kit before but I am aware of the short run nature of the product.  Will see how I get one.

As always all comments welcome.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 9

23 hours ago, pheonix said:

I did not know that the He 51 was also produced as a floatplane. Learn something new every day. Should be an interesting model when it is finished. Will be watching with interest.

P

Thank P it is certainly an interesting, and I think elegant, looking plane.

22 hours ago, Thom216 said:

I'll be paying attention to this.

Thanks Thom.  I will try to move it forward in something other than my usual glacial speed!

21 hours ago, Doc72 said:

Cool, another floatplane fighter.

I have the old 1/72 Hasegawa kit in my stash. Don't know, if I will ever find time to build it. It is definitely a beautiful floatplane.

Cheers Doc I couldn't agree more.   Are you sure we can’t persuade you to break out the Hasegawa kit?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Davek72 said:

Cheers Doc I couldn't agree more.   Are you sure we can’t persuade you to break out the Hasegawa kit?

It is tempting, but I have already entered the race with a Kawanishi N1K1. Two models within this GB is probably biting off more than I can chew.

On 9/18/2019 at 11:50 PM, jrlx said:

Hi Dave!

Welcome to the GB! Beautiful choice of subject, looking forward to seeing it built!

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime  I will do my best.  I think it might be "challenging"....

On 9/19/2019 at 4:47 AM, greggles.w said:

A fine choice!  Very streamlined.. reminds me a little of the Curtiss CR racers ...

BM_12_CR-2 CR-3_Wheels Floats

Look forward to seeing this come together.

That is an excellent comparison.  

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 9:16 AM, Doc72 said:

It is tempting, but I have already entered the race with a Kawanishi N1K1. Two models within this GB is probably biting off more than I can chew.

That is rather the story of my life 😉

On 9/19/2019 at 10:19 AM, Courageous said:

It doesn't seem to phase @stevej60, I think he factors for failures...:rofl:

Stuart

Like he said....

I have made a start on the cockpit.

48792585807_23130caa5d_b.jpg

It doesn't look much but will mostly be hidden anyway.  I have sprayed it with a coat of the new Vallejo Model Air RLM63 (shading and highlighting to follow)...now to light the touch paper.  The cover art and various other models I have looked at online have this aircraft as a kind of light grey.  Others however suggest a green grey as per RLM63.  I am aware of the ongoing discussion re RLM63 vs RLM02 but also note that the Mr Color call out on the Special Hobby instructions whilst staled as RLM 63 also looks very grey when I look online.   Anyway I appreciate that there is probably no definitive answer and in any event I am going with Vallejo unless people say I am mad....

Dave

• Like 4

Hi,

You are right about the confusion between RLM63 and RLM02 - some sources claim they are actually the same colour. In his book on Luftwaffe colours, Ullmann says that pre 1935 three greys were used - the recently introduced RLM02 and the earlier DKH (Dr Kurt Herberts) L 40/50 and Avionorm Nitro Paint 7375,  He states that due to a misinterpretation of a document many sources says these latter colours were both RLM63. He goes on to say that RLM02 was increasingly used in overall schemes from 1935 onwards, with RLM 63 being used in camo schemes. In the case of your Heinkel, his captions for the He51  (wheels and floats) say that they were in DKH L40/50. The colour chips in his book, are like any printed colours not entirely reliable, but show that RLM 02 and RLM 63 are quite close to each other  but 02 is a bit browner and 63 a bit lighter. However he also has a "chip" of L 40/50 and that is a somewhat different colour to both being a light slightly bluish grey, with no hint of brown, and much lighter than your Valejo 63, in fact it looks a bit like RLM76 in its light bluish grey version. Incidentally he also says that the floats were in silver, though it is unclear if that was the whole float or just the underside, though he shows a pic of a 51B where the whole float does look very shiny.

Of course, the subject of paints is a complex and controversial one, with many experts contradicting each other on any number of points, so at the end of the day you will have to decide what you feel is right - after all nobody can say you are wrong with any certainty! Even modern model paint shades which are claimed to be accurate vary from one manufacturer to another, in some cases by a heck of a lot. I quite like Ullmann's take on Luftwaffe colours and he has quite reasonable documentation to back some of his claims up, but no doubt others on the forum will have their own favourite author who probably says something different! I have been studying colours and markings for a good part of my 60+ years modelling and I certainly would still not claim to be an expert.

Good luck with the build.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

On 9/26/2019 at 12:38 AM, PeterB said:

Hi,

You are right about the confusion between RLM63 and RLM02 - some sources claim they are actually the same colour. In his book on Luftwaffe colours, Ullmann says that pre 1935 three greys were used - the recently introduced RLM02 and the earlier DKH (Dr Kurt Herberts) L 40/50 and Avionorm Nitro Paint 7375,  He states that due to a misinterpretation of a document many sources says these latter colours were both RLM63. He goes on to say that RLM02 was increasingly used in overall schemes from 1935 onwards, with RLM 63 being used in camo schemes. In the case of your Heinkel, his captions for the He51  (wheels and floats) say that they were in DKH L40/50. The colour chips in his book, are like any printed colours not entirely reliable, but show that RLM 02 and RLM 63 are quite close to each other  but 02 is a bit browner and 63 a bit lighter. However he also has a "chip" of L 40/50 and that is a somewhat different colour to both being a light slightly bluish grey, with no hint of brown, and much lighter than your Valejo 63, in fact it looks a bit like RLM76 in its light bluish grey version. Incidentally he also says that the floats were in silver, though it is unclear if that was the whole float or just the underside, though he shows a pic of a 51B where the whole float does look very shiny.

Of course, the subject of paints is a complex and controversial one, with many experts contradicting each other on any number of points, so at the end of the day you will have to decide what you feel is right - after all nobody can say you are wrong with any certainty! Even modern model paint shades which are claimed to be accurate vary from one manufacturer to another, in some cases by a heck of a lot. I quite like Ullmann's take on Luftwaffe colours and he has quite reasonable documentation to back some of his claims up, but no doubt others on the forum will have their own favourite author who probably says something different! I have been studying colours and markings for a good part of my 60+ years modelling and I certainly would still not claim to be an expert.

Good luck with the build.

Pete

Pete 

Thank you very much for your post.  As someone who has been regularly confused on the issue of the "correct colour" debate it is really helpful to have posts like yours.  You may not claim to be an expert but input such as yours is invaluable.

I have, after some thought, decided to go with my colour scheme and paint combo.  It may be wrong but hey the reality is (a) it is unlikely anyone can prove it one way or another, (b) the kit manufacturer and the paint manufacturer suggest this is the correct colour and I think (possibly erroneously) that I should give some credence to their skills, and potentially most importantly (c) I build models because I enjoy it and enjoy the end result.  If the colour is a slight hue off then of course I would prefer I was not in the wrong BUT it doesn't detract from the enjoyment factor....at least in my book.

D

• Like 5

Good for you Dave.

I for one will be interested to see what it ends up looking like. Until I read Ullmann's book a few years ago I would have said RLM02 as a sort of light brownish grey seemed to be about right, but then I have yet to use the various tins of RLM 63 I have, as I tend not to build inter war kits. I did however almost buy the old Hasegawa He 51 many years ago because I liked the markings. I am still debating whether to use the pre war 4 colour camo on my Hs 123 or stick to my normal 65/70/71 wartime camo. Ditto my ancient Airfix Do 17E/F if I ever get round to refurbishing it.

• Like 1