Hasegawa P-47D Thunderbolt old kit

CasualModel98

Another old kit, this time a Hasegawa P47D Thunderbolt. Circa 1972 I think. Part of the stash I bought from the family of an avid modeller who passed away. The stash is in another post.

TRtwLLR.jpg

The decals are useless as they are stuck fast to the backing and crumbles when soaked and I tried to tease them apart. So for this one I tried printing my own decal. More of it later on.

My effort to print my own decal and decorate the aircraft did not turn out quite well. The decal paint runs, the decal is too transparent such that the underlying colors show through the decal paint. I used an inkjet and the decal paper was a generic paper bought from the China.

A0FgcsG.jpg

35Og0aa.jpg

1XFxpfL.jpg

CVNof0F.jpg

The decal paper is also very thin, and folds back on itself and crumbles if not handled properly.

Anyway it is a short and quick build.

• Like 2

Very nice. The problem/solution with making your own decals is that you need to make extras due to the problem you mentioned, even black serial numbers. Apply the decal, wait until it dries and then layer another over top. I spray mine with a clear coat to prevent running. I've read not to use Future for this. 

• Like 1

With inkjet decals a top coat of varnish is essential before use and not all inkjet papers print that well. The varnish coat also helps to make the decal a bit more robust. 

If you are going to do a lot of these pleae can you put them in the forums for build threads and funished models?

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/52-work-in-progress-aircraft/

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/87-ready-for-inspection-aircraft/