NEW WNW kits announced

redcap

WNW have announced two new kits in their "Aces" boxings;

Fokker DVII (F) - Herman Goring

Sopwith Snipe - William Barker

This should please those who missed them first time around and don't want to pay eBay 'collector' prices.

Gary

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

I must admit to wondering how well received the Herman Goering kit will be. 

Duncan B

Agreed Duncan , quite a brave decision in many ways? 

Didn’t Revell once have his white DVII as an option in their 1/72nd kit?

Mike

3 hours ago, redcap said:

WNW have announced two new kits in their "Aces" boxings;

Fokker DVII (F) - Herman Goring

Sopwith Snipe - William Bishop

This should please those who missed them first time around and don't want to pay eBay 'collector' prices.

Gary

Thanks for the notice, but it's William Barker, not Billy Bishop for the Snipe kit. Easy mistake as they were both Canadian aces named William B.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mick b said:

Mike

They did indeed and I had one way back in about 19...erm yes, well I was very young at the time.

There are a couple of the all white vintage boxing on that well known auction site right now as it happens

Mind you we do see models of aircraft and indeed equipment such as tanks operated by other unpleasant characters.  Rudels Stuka comes to mind.  Its history really so it is what it is.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Ted said:

Thanks for the notice, but it's William Barker, not Billy Bishop for the Snipe kit. Easy mistake as they were both Canadian aces named William B.

You are right Ted my typo error and now corrected.

Gary

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mick b said:

Mike

Roden as well. I'd happily build Goering's aircraft; it's a subtle reminder that the junior officers serving the Kaiser in WWI were the high-ranking generals swearing fealty to Hitler and doing his bidding in the next.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, mick b said:

Mike

I believe Eduard did in one of their 1/48 Weekend Editions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Duncan B

I wonder what the statute of limitations is for something like this, it's 74 years since he did nasty things & offed himself. Ask anybody in the street who looks less than 50-55 years old what they think about a model company producing a kit of Hermman Goerings aircraft & even the ones who are self aware  will probably look at you as if you are the one who's gone out, not having a clue who Hermman is (or what an aircraft is or even what a model is). There are loads of other psycho nut jobs from different times in history who did really crappy things ( Ghenghis Khan, Attila the Hun, Napoleon & Boudica for example) who have figurines or busts produced of them with nary a sarkie comment much less vitriolic approbation.

Edited by spaddad
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

The biggest challenge is going to be that all white paint scheme.

Duncan B

Quite Duncan.  I wonder just how "white" it really was in real life.  Spewing oils, exhaust and landing and take offs from grass (muddy?) fields.  Weathering might be a matter of some debate. 

Are you going to be selling this one and also a weathering/painting kit with it? :D

11 hours ago, Procopius said:

Roden as well. I'd happily build Goering's aircraft; it's a subtle reminder that the junior officers serving the Kaiser in WWI were the high-ranking generals swearing fealty to Hitler and doing his bidding in the next.

I  understand that Ferdinand Foch said of the Treaty of Versailles "This is not a peace. It is an armistice for 20 years"   He was only out by a couple of months.

He said some other pretty insightful things as well.  Must get a biography of him

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JohnT said:

Quite Duncan.  I wonder just how "white" it really was in real life.  Spewing oils, exhaust and landing and take offs from grass (muddy?) fields.  Weathering might be a matter of some debate. 

Are you going to be selling this one and also a weathering/painting kit with it? :D

I  understand that Ferdinand Foch said of the Treaty of Versailles "This is not a peace. It is an armistice for 20 years"   He was only out by a couple of months.

He said some other pretty insightful things as well.  Must get a biography of him

Not to mention the white paint was covering dark lozenge camouflage.  The guys that painted the original had some issues to work through as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, spaddad said:

I wonder what the statute of limitations is for something like this, it's 74 years since he did nasty things & offed himself. Ask anybody in the street who looks less than 50-55 years old what they think about a model company producing a kit of Hermman Goerings aircraft & even the ones who are self aware  will probably look at you as if you are the one who's gone out, not having a clue who Hermman is (or what an aircraft is or even what a model is). There are loads of other psycho nut jobs from different times in history who did really crappy things ( Ghenghis Khan, Attila the Hun, Napoleon & Boudica for example) who have figurines or busts produced of them with nary a sarkie comment much less vitriolic approbation.

As you suggest I guess the aeroplane isn’t the issue but the finely sculpted figure that is included...

Mike

• Like 1

On 17/09/2019 at 16:18, ARHinVA said:

Not to mention the white paint was covering dark lozenge camouflage.  The guys that painted the original had some issues to work through as well.

I Googled this a few days ago and one chap mentioned in a build post that Fokker did Gorings Fokker as a one off and it was painted from the factory. 

link - https://www.historynet.com/build-gorings-fokker-d-vii.htm

That being so I wonder if it was painted on linen without a lozenge pattern or over a lozenge pattern?

Interesting debate here too.  White with red crosses???

link https://www.historynet.com/build-gorings-fokker-d-vii.htm

In the available photos I have seen it looks pretty pristine with "solid" white and not much/any sign of an undercolour showing through

On 17/09/2019 at 08:15, Procopius said:

If Richthofen had survived, one wonders to what extent he might have cast his lot in with the untergang and what his lasting legacy might have been. 

• Like 1

On 16/09/2019 at 20:19, Duncan B said:

Duncan B

I'll be all over that one when it's released.  It's not like building a replica of his kite is an homage to the man.  I'm not sure about the snipe.... but probably will knowing me. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Howlindawg said:

I'll be all over that one when it's released.  It's not like building a replica of his kite is an homage to the man.  I'm not sure about the snipe.... but probably will knowing me. 

I agree, it’s a snapshot in time and will be an interesting modelling challenge to get the colour scheme to not be too stark. I can imagine some really excellent renditions of this one appearing and most folk won’t know who’s plane it was anyway.

Duncan B

On 9/19/2019 at 2:38 AM, Putty Animal said:

If Richthofen had survived, one wonders to what extent he might have cast his lot in with the untergang and what his lasting legacy might have been. 

Pointless to speculate about Manfred, but his baby cousin, also a Great War ace, became a fan of Hitler, leader of the Condor Legion, field marshal of the Luftwaffe and would probably have been tried at Nuremberg (for bombing civilians - I doubt he would necessarily had been found guilty though, consider he used the same reasoning and decisionmaking as the allies) had he not died by disease in 1945.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

Pointless to speculate about Manfred, but his baby brother, also a Great War ace, became a fan of Hitler, leader of the Condor Legion, field marshal of the Luftwaffe and would probably have been tried at Nuremberg (for bombing civilians - I doubt he would necessarily had been found guilty though, consider he used the same reasoning and decisionmaking as the allies) had he not died by disease in 1945.

Actually Field Marshal Wolfram v Richtofen was MvR's cousin not brother.  

MvR's younger brother Bolko vR lived until the 1960's IIRC.  

On 9/17/2019 at 10:18 PM, ARHinVA said:

could be a brain fart but i believe i read somewhere (Udet's memoirs, maybe?) it was a factory finish. while some blame Goering's descent into self-aggrandizing delusion and morbid obesity on the pain meds from his war injuries, every mention i've seen no favorable mention of him in any German pilot's memoir i've read. i get the impression even then he was not well liked... 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 3:20 PM, Duncan B said:

I agree, it’s a snapshot in time and will be an interesting modelling challenge to get the colour scheme to not be too stark. I can imagine some really excellent renditions of this one appearing and most folk won’t know who’s plane it was anyway.

it will definitely appeal to the crowd who favor schemes over stories. and for story people, the ones who prefer the dark places. for me neither the scheme nor the pilot have a place in my house, but i'll get the kit and use the Bolle markings from the VIIF i already have... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff.K said:

every mention i've seen no favorable mention of him in any German pilot's memoir i've read. i get the impression even then he was not well liked... 

Same here Jeff,  I've also read that he was not well liked by most who came into contact with him. Bruno Loerzer, his former pilot when he was an observer, being an exception.

Willi Gabriel certainly didn't like him,  Wikipedia puts it well;

"He (Gabriel) scored on 19 May, then six times in June, including two observation balloons.[2] Hermann Göring then came to command JG 1, much to Gabriel's displeasure. On 18 July 1918, Gabriel flew a solo mission without permission and shot down three French airplanes. Upon his return, he was grounded. However, he disobeyed Göring's orders, took off, and shot down a fourth Frenchman. Upon his return from this sortie, he was banished from combat despite his success."

• Like 2