Problem viewing pics on tablet

keefr22

@Mike Was away again on the weekend staying in an 'orrible Travelodge with their pretty poor wi-fi, and found that I couldn't see any pics in any BM thread, just those darned grey boxes. However I had no problems viewing pics on the 72nd aircraft forum, Hyperscale, Zone 5 and that other one that shouldn't be named on here! The really odd thing though is that I could see the pics in e-mail post notifications on Outlook!

Thinking it might have been the hotel's fairly dreadful w-fi, I've just tried viewing the same threads on those forums using my Sky fibre broadband - exactly the same results, no probs on the other forums, nothing but grey boxes on BM. I've cleared the cache, and always shut down the tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab E, Android version 4.4.4) after use.

Any ideas? 

Keith

PS, I'm pretty sure this only started after that forum upgrade that introduced photopre-loading or whatever they call it.

Everyone else seems to have stopped having issues Keith - which browser are you using?  I usually use Firefox on my tablet, and it works a treat.  One thing though, your tablet is using a pretty old version of Android (mine is using 9), and if you're using the stock browser that may have stopped getting updates?  Just spit-balling here, so don't take this as gospel.  If you aren't using FF, pick up the latest version off Play, and install it.  Give that a go and report back.  All the forum update did was introduce lazy loading, which allows pics to load as you scroll - it shouldn't affect their actual loading.

One thing you might want to try - I found this out the other day myself.  I run an Add-on to quarantine Facebook (don't use it, don't trust it), and when someone posted some pics the other day including those hosted on FB I couldn't see them.  I switched off my Add-on and could see them again.  Check any add-ons you might have running, and switch them off if you have your suspicions too.

Another thing to try is to reboot your router too, in case you've got some coincidental issue lingering from that trip to Travelbodge. :)

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Travelbodge

Haha, love it! Really annoyed they have a more or less captive market in the area where my daughter lives. 

Did wonder about how old the Android version was, shall get the latest version installed. Tried it using both Adblock browser and Chrome.

What puzzles me is that it's only BM that appears to be affected and the fact that I can see the pictures in an e-mail post notification, but can't when I visit that post on the forum...

Don't have any add ons or plug ins running on the tablet.

Anyway thanks for your reply Mike and I'll give updating Android a go. :)

Cheers

Keith

That's interesting Andy - I rarely use my phone to browse the net, but just tried it and pics on BM are showing up fine using chrome browser! It's a recent Motorola and is running Android 8.1.0 and auto updates, so it's stating its using the latest version available for it.

@Mike I have auto update set up on the Tab as well and when I manually checked for updates it states  there's none available so it seems 4.4.4 is the latest version it's configured for. However, I followed your suggestion re FF, installed the latest version and the pics are now showing fine on both it and chrome - for some reason!! They still don't work with Adblock browser, but that's not really a great loss!

Thanks again for your help

Keith

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

it states  there's none available so it seems 4.4.4 is the latest version it's configured for.

Yeah, this is what annoys me about Android - some devices are pretty short-lived in terms of OS support.  My original Nexus 7 from back in the day was dumped by the Android updates, and when my lad was using it as his tablet, they updated the Play store so he couldn't even update or download new apps.  Pretty poor support and an example of planned obsolescence  if ever I saw one.  The tablet still worked just fine - they wanted me to upgrade, so they stopped supporting it. :angry:

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I followed your suggestion re FF, installed the latest version and the pics are now showing fine on both it and chrome - for some reason!!

The vagaries of operating systems.  I couldn't begin to speculate why, but I'm glad we accidentally got a solution! :lol:

14 hours ago, andyf117 said:

I have exactly the same problem with my phone - I rarely use it, but when I accessed BM recently I only had little grey boxes instead of pics...

You should try the same reboot and install another browser thing that worked for Keith.  Worth a try! :)

14 hours ago, andyf117 said:

no idea what version the Android is

Go into Settings > About Device > Software and you should be able to find it there somewhere.  Clearly, everyone's menu structure is probably a little different, but you get the jist ;)

Anything below Android 6 is getting short on time before either Google, the manufacturer, or some other party withdraw support.  Android 10 is new, and Android 8 or 9 are probably the most common at the moment from what I can gather.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mike said:

but I'm glad we accidentally got a solution!

Indeed! Computers are wierd and you'd think that after working in software development for over 25 years nothing that those hardware guys (& It's always their fault!) could do would surprise me - but it constantly does...!! :rofl:

Thanks Mike!

Keith

I get similar problems, not so much grey boxes but my two tablets are running some archaic Android from prehistory and the firmware will not let me go for a more modern version

Damned annoying huh, I go into the about page and find the Android is a screen like a KitKat and even with developer priveleges that is where it stops

Oh well, at least my phone is more  uptodaste

WIth a new opening screen that no longer gives me snippets of updated stuff

:(