dissolving suoerglue (cyanoacrilates)

cruiserguy

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Do any of you know how I can dissolve superglue? I've just about finished a restoration of an old Triang-Minic Vanguard, and I hadn't noticed one of the main turrets had slipped out of position before the glue set. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Will. 

You can buy super glue debonder from most places that sell super glue (definitely eBay, which is where I got mine), or you could try putting the model in the freezer to make the glue brittle, then subject it to a shear force, which CA isn't very good at handling.  Whatever goes wrong with either of those techiques I absolve myself of all responsibility for ^_^

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the tips. I'll try the de-bonder first, then if that doesn't work chuck it in the freezer. I promise not to hold you responsible for any disaster that follows as I only have myself to blame for not making sure the turret hadn't moved.

Will. 

3 hours ago, f111guru said:

Acetone or commonly referred to as nail polish remover has worked for me. Work of warning. It will attack the plastic. As with @bmwh548 test test test.

Ron VanDerwarker

Not all nail polish remover has acetone in it. Check the label before buying. I have never used it on styrene yet but it does a great job on unglueing your fingers.

Chris

14 hours ago, cruiserguy said:

I only have myself to blame for not making sure the turret hadn't moved.

We're all human and therefore fallible.  Anyone that would have you believe otherwise is delusional ;)

• Like 1