Post-war Barracuda

52 minutes ago, Nickthebrief said:

And haven't we established, long ago, Bill that you are indeed insane and capable of much silliness???!!!

True fact, no denial. Just ask wifey.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 3:14 PM, FAAFAN said:

Nice job on a very difficult kit.  I built it several years ago, and it took a while. It resided on my shelf of doom off and on for months.  Yours looks good in that scheme. 

Thanks Bob. It is a tricky build... If only Tamiya felt that obscure Fleet Air Arm types was the way to go with their new kits! (I mean, who wants a P38 when you could have a Roc, Skua, Fulmar or Albacore?!)

Nick.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

A wonderful homage to just another British naval aircraft whose design and looks makes one wonder just who in the British Navy was in charge of selecting aircraft types.  Maybe, because an aircraft looked so different from the trend of aircraft design and lines at the time, it was believed it had to be better.  Did the acceptance panel go that slim, svelte design of the Barracuda didn't pan out too well, lets go with the portly Gannet instead.  Anyway, this is a really nicely built and brilliantly finished kit in a unique, to me at least, livery.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Let's just say it's probably not the most elegant aircraft on the planet. But because of your clean construction and your super painting technique it is a real feast for the eyes! Great job!

All the best

Andy 

On 1/25/2023 at 6:19 PM, Farmerboy said:

Lovely model, ugly aeroplane but I love it, imagine diving on the Tirpiz in one of these, bravery beyond compare!

Thank you - and great to hear from another Wiltshire modeller. I agree entirely with the bravery point - just to get in and fly one must have been a challenge - to actually go and use it in anger must have been terrifying.

On 1/26/2023 at 3:03 PM, georgeusa said:

A wonderful homage to just another British naval aircraft whose design and looks makes one wonder just who in the British Navy was in charge of selecting aircraft types.  Maybe, because an aircraft looked so different from the trend of aircraft design and lines at the time, it was believed it had to be better.  Did the acceptance panel go that slim, svelte design of the Barracuda didn't pan out too well, lets go with the portly Gannet instead.  Anyway, this is a really nicely built and brilliantly finished kit in a unique, to me at least, livery.  Thanks for sharing.

Ah the Gannet - another Fairey masterpiece! (Actually I think the Gannet was pretty successful, wasn't it? But again, no looker!) Having built the Classic Airframes one, I'm quite looking forward to seeing what the up-coming Airfix one will be like - and I might break my usual rule and build it with wings folded as the Gannet fold is so unusual... Thank you for the kind comments about the model too...

On 1/26/2023 at 6:04 PM, David H said:

I like your choice of paint scheme. Much like the Buccaneer, the choice of paint scheme can either make or break the end result.

-d-

Thank you David. The post war scheme does seem to suit the Barra. And of course any Buccaneer has to be in white, EDSG or a combo of the two to really look "right"....?!

15 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Let's just say it's probably not the most elegant aircraft on the planet. But because of your clean construction and your super painting technique it is a real feast for the eyes! Great job!

All the best

Andy 

Many thanks for the kind comments, Andy. Much appreciated.

• Like 2