North American XF-108 Rapier 1/72

Whirly

The North American XF-108 Rapier was a proposed long-range, high-speed interceptor aircraft designed by North American Aviation intended to defend the United States from supersonic Soviet strategic bombers. The aircraft would have cruised at speeds around Mach 3 (3,200 km/h; 2,000 mph) with an unrefueled combat radius over 1,000 nautical miles (1,900 km; 1,200 mi), and was equipped with radar and missiles offering engagement ranges up to 100 miles (160 km) against bomber-sized targets.

To limit development costs, the program shared engine development with the North American XB-70 Valkyrie strategic bomber program, and used a number of elements of earlier interceptor projects. The program had progressed only as far as the construction of a single wooden mockup when it was cancelled in 1959, due to a shortage of funds and the Soviets' adoption of ballistic missiles as their primary means of nuclear attack. Had it flown, the F-108 would have been the heaviest fighter of its era.

This is the Wikipedia abstract, full story here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_XF-108_Rapier

I recently completed this build from the Anigrand resin kit: since both incarnations of the mock-up (overall metal or white) were quite bland and uninspiring I chose to depict a fictitious evaluation a/c from Edwards, as imagined by the artist on the front cover of this Airpower Magazine issue:

P_20190118_213413

The build thread can be found here for those interested. As you will read it was truly a collaborative effort with great inputs from BM members, thank you again to all!

So here are the images. Thanks for looking!

P1120305

P1120303

P1120304

P1120300

P1120299

P1120298

P1120296

P1120307

P1120306

• Like 56

That's brilliant, definitely not the easiest kit to build but what a flawless finish 👏👏👏

(I'm definitely nicking your idea for the decals, love it.)

Congratulations, it's a beauty.

Alan

Edited by Alan P

Hello, sorry for the long absence, it is a hard period with my daily job and family commitments so I couldn't make up my mind to post a proper reply :sad:

On 9/16/2019 at 2:09 PM, hacker said:

how was the kit over all?

Hacker

Hi Hacker,

as you can see from the WIP posts there were some basic issues to address even considering it is nearly a What-If. Overall I would say it is quite buildable with average accuracy considering its low appeal to the market.

On 9/16/2019 at 2:30 PM, RidgeRunner said:

It looks like the didn't quite get the canopy right, though :(

Martin

Hi Martin, I guess you are referring to the rear canopy windows being round instead of angular shaped? This detail changed during the mock-up life and the model shows the latest configuration.

To @Mig88 @Corsairfoxfouruncle @mdauben @bearmatt @Space Ranger @Blue Monday @Getting Old @RMCS @dnl42 @Neil.C @Vultures1 @Alan P : thank you all for the very generous appreciations, I liked it very much!

I enjoyed building this model for its futuristic appearance and wanted to bring back a little bit of forgotten history from the Cold war years, I'm very glad people liked it.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Whirly said:

Hi Martin, I guess you are referring to the rear canopy windows being round instead of angular shaped? This detail changed during the mock-up life and the model shows the latest configuration.

No, mate. I was referrring to the front end. The mock up and images show a very angular frame, rather than the model's more rounded appeareance. Nonethless its an awsome build :)

Martin

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

No, mate. I was referrring to the front end. The mock up and images show a very angular frame, rather than the model's more rounded appeareance. Nonethless its an awsome build :)

Martin

Now I see what you mean! Obviously you are right and I admit I really hadn't noticed despite having it in front of me for weeks...

Well, you live and learn. Hope this will come useful for anyone eager to tackle the same subject.

Absolutely superb job, and on an Anigrand kit no less. Respect!    :)

I have this kit in my stash, so I know the raw materials you started with. You can be right proud of this one.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. How cool would it have been if the XB-70, XF-103, XF-108, XF-109, CF-105, and the TSR.2 had all gone into production - we can all dream.

She's turned out a real beaut, Whirly! I'm looking forward to getting round to mine before too long.

9 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

PS. How cool would it have been if the XB-70, XF-103, XF-108, XF-109, CF-105, and the TSR.2 had all gone into production - we can all dream.

Wow, four of those are on my "must build" list (and I already own three of them). Couldn't remember the 103 or 109 but a quick google reminded me that they're not to my taste. We may not see them in the sky, but we can always model the dream 🙂

Kev

• Like 1