1/144 TYPE XXIII...ANOTHER SUNKEN ONE.

I still had some supplies left over from the sunken sub commission build...soooooooooooo, I thought I might as well use some of them up.

Another sunken sub, this one is a 1/144 scale type XXIII. I did her as if she was just under the surface with snorkel extended when she was attacked, depth charge damage to side and damage to periscope and snorkel due to depth charge and later on fishing nets...and no, not adding any netting 😃

Nice and easy build, straight forward and all built, coated, painted and weathered in one day.

IMG-9147-Copy.jpg

IMG-9148-Copy.jpg

IMG-9149-Copy.jpg

IMG-9151-Copy.jpg

IMG-9153-Copy.jpg

IMG-9155.jpg

IMG-9156.jpg

IMG-9157-Copy.jpg

IMG-9158.jpg

Si.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, calistan said:

That would look awesome in a fish tank. Would the paint job survive under water?

Cheers mate, glad you like it.

As for the fish tank idea, I got a question regarding doing one years ago for the same thing. I replied that the answer is no, the glue used is PVA, the coating is just sand then it is rattle canned and then various acrylics, washes, pigments added. I think, over time, you may find some floating fish. Also cleaning the thing would be just about impossible, the coating would probably just fall away.

Great job again Si,there's one way around the fish tank problem is if you had the money would be to get a custom one built....A series i've seen called Fish Tank Kings is amazing with some of the stuff that gets built,everything from cars to phoneboxes....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, eddiesolo said:

Cheers mate, glad you like it.

As for the fish tank idea, I got a question regarding doing one years ago for the same thing. I replied that the answer is no, the glue used is PVA, the coating is just sand then it is rattle canned and then various acrylics, washes, pigments added. I think, over time, you may find some floating fish. Also cleaning the thing would be just about impossible, the coating would probably just fall away.

What about some sort of epoxy coating? I think you can get aquarium-safe epoxy resins, and if any of them are thin enough maybe you could coat something like that sub without smothering it. You can get machines for turning painted cups that have been coated in epoxy - they spin slowly for hours until the stuff has set and you get a nice even layer.

Not that I have an aquarium, mind, but I'd almost consider getting one if I could fill it with beautifully weathered underwater wrecks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Great job again Si,there's one way around the fish tank problem is if you had the money would be to get a custom one built....A series i've seen called Fish Tank Kings is amazing with some of the stuff that gets built,everything from cars to phoneboxes....

Thanking you Vince, I have seen that show, they make some cracking fish tanks.

I slapped this on Ebay for £15, thought, if it sells it sells...I then got an offer for £25 +postage...yeah, okay so, another rusty, crusty wreck off into the wild.

2 hours ago, calistan said:

What about some sort of epoxy coating? I think you can get aquarium-safe epoxy resins, and if any of them are thin enough maybe you could coat something like that sub without smothering it. You can get machines for turning painted cups that have been coated in epoxy - they spin slowly for hours until the stuff has set and you get a nice even layer.

Not that I have an aquarium, mind, but I'd almost consider getting one if I could fill it with beautifully weathered underwater wrecks.

Yeah, that could work, might be a pain to try and do on the cheap though. Cost wise, it is probably easier to just get a ready-made one.  

You could of course, just get a fish tank and slap the wrecks in...minus any fish and see how they go, if they start breaking apart after two weeks then epoxy might be the only way to seal. 

• Like 1