362nd FS P51D

So with less than 2 weeks to go I've decided to try and sneak another entry in.

Namely this:

IMG_0380[1]

I "started" a 1/72 matchbox beaufighter with a view to putting it on here but the photoetch put me off.....so an Eduard Tempest was next on the plan but I got totally hacked off with it and it nearly went out the window in frustration so this "kit" will hopefully be a bit of a mojo restorer (not a bit of PE in sight! ;) )

IMG_0381[1]

as you can see not many parts!!

So I made a start (and yes - ALL the parts are in this photo):

IMG_0379[1]

I was going to do the top option on the guide:

IMG_0382[1]

but on investigation I'm not sure this scheme is right.  Hasegawa did a P51 in this scheme but it's a B and not a D.  Did have full stripes though....

Anyway, hopefully I'll find some scheme that's suitable for the time frame (have an aftermarket decal set which I haven't looked at yet)......

Obviously this is no Tamiya kit but as I said more of a mojo thing :)

• Like 3

Good afternoon Lawzer

Clarence Bud Anderson flew a  P51 B in full DDAY markings during the summer of 1944

https://www.bravobravoaviation.com/fr/north-american-p-51-mustang/296-p-51b-mustang-old-crow-capt-clarence-bud-anderson-363rd-fighter-squadron-357th-fighter-group.html

Then He flew a D model http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/165/3/21 

First wearing a OD / Grey then in NMF in late  1944..

More infos here

http://www.cebudanderson.com/

The first D models where delivered to the units in England in the mid summer of 1944..

Patrice

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Lawzer

Clarence Bud Anderson flew a  P51 B in full DDAY markings during the summer of 1944

https://www.bravobravoaviation.com/fr/north-american-p-51-mustang/296-p-51b-mustang-old-crow-capt-clarence-bud-anderson-363rd-fighter-squadron-357th-fighter-group.html

Then He flew a D model http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/165/3/21 

First wearing a OD / Grey then in NMF in late  1944..

More infos here

http://www.cebudanderson.com/

The first D models where delivered to the units in England in the mid summer of 1944..

Patrice

Thanks Patrice!

So it would seem the scheme is correct.  All be it it's actually the 363rd FS and not the 362nd as the instructions say ;)

I'm guessing this aircraft would never have had full stripes - are what's shown on the instructions even invasion stripes (or what's left) or just some unit marking?

3 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Thanks Patrice!

So it would seem the scheme is correct.  All be it it's actually the 363rd FS and not the 362nd as the instructions say ;)

I'm guessing this aircraft would never have had full stripes - are what's shown on the instructions even invasion stripes (or what's left) or just some unit marking?

Hi again Lawzer

The DDAY stripes were repainted from the upper surfaces of the aircraft in august .. I think that you are right this aircraft never wore full stripes ...

All the best

Patrice  

• Like 1

So the aftermarket decals I have (Aeromaster 32-016, Green nose mustangs of east wretham) is no use - they all date from 1945 (some nice options though) so what are people's thoughts - would the olive drab/grey scheme fit into the time line?

2 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Lawzer

May I suggest you to keep this Mustang for the Mustasg Gb in December ?

Patrice

I've actually got 2 of them (2 of the same kit).....I didn't realize there was a Mustang GB though.....👍

4 hours ago, Lawzer said:

So the aftermarket decals I have (Aeromaster 32-016, Green nose mustangs of east wretham) is no use - they all date from 1945 (some nice options though) so what are people's thoughts - would the olive drab/grey scheme fit into the time line?

I would argue yes as the stripes were removed from upper surfaces from early July, so that scheme represents how I would expect her to have looked between then and the end of our time frame - unless anyone can categorically prove otherwise.

I would actually say the 1945 scheme is more contentious as all stripes should have been removed by the end of 1944, but thankfully that's not relevant here :)

Andy

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lawzer said:

The 359th received Mustangs in May/June of 1944. So very well could have been olive drab. Let me see if i have any photo's.   

I will try here, its a great resource for 8th Fighter command. 

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/359th-fighter-group/

Dennis

Only thing I've found is one profile of a B/C in O/D. No photo's yet, but will keep looking. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

The Mustang GB starts on December 14 .. uou will have plenty of time to build them ...

Patrice

Good morning

If I don't make a mistake Clarence Anderson flew one P 51 B Mustang ( serial 43 24823 ) during his first tour of operations with the 357 fighter Group from December 1943 to July 1944 and subsequently he flew 1 P51D (serial 414 450) during his second from September 1944 to January 1945..

https://search.aol.com/aol/image;_ylt=A2KLfR1j0YFdKrYAHClpCWVH;_ylu=X3oDMTByMDgyYjJiBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?q=CLARENCE+ANDERSON+MUSTANG&v_t=webmail-searchbox#id=61&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F46%2F54%2Fc4%2F4654c49df4f42344a44200be7cc0b5b1--mustang-p-p--mustang.jpg&action=close

Patrice

• Like 1

Sadly I'm not in a position to buy those decals :(

I've so far only assembled and painted the 7 part cockpit so I have a while yet.

Hopefully get it assembled this weekend then I'll see what the plan is from there.....

14 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Sadly I'm not in a position to buy those decals :(

I've so far only assembled and painted the 7 part cockpit so I have a while yet.

Hopefully get it assembled this weekend then I'll see what the plan is from there.....

Good morning Lawzer

Unfortunately I only build  1/72 kits and I can not help you for the decals ..

Patrice

• Like 1

So since this kit only has about 50 parts progress has been made.....

looks like they they spent a lot of time on the moulds for all them rivets and panel lines.....

48769651253_568e20531d_b.jpg

pity they didn’t spend so much time making sure it fits together.........

since this his was always going to be a fast ‘n dirty build I’ll live with it.

and since the end of the gb is next week and little prospect of getting any decals suitable i’ve Decided just to do old crow with full invasion stripes so if I do get it finished I won’t put it in the gallery.  Not accurate but as I said I can live with it 😁

• Like 2

Hhmmmm. LOT of bleed! 😳

48775779993_f9c12480b3_b.jpg

the combination of Halfords white primer and thinned Tamiya acrylics seems to have already given me a weathered look...result! 😁

• Like 5

Looking good other than the couple thousand exposed rivets. ☹️ I saw an interview with “Bud” Anderson once. He said he came out his mustang one morning and found his entire crews hands were all bloody. Apparently from scrubbing the green paint off overnight in freezing cold temps with gasoline. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So since it was chucking it down with rain all day I had some time on this....

The instructions call for a red spinner with a yellow band.   What could possibly go wrong? 😂

48808356852_9f72ddf5ed_b.jpg

Worked out ok-ish.

i was quite surprised to see the decals were by cartograph.  Went on nicely.  Even the checkerboard round the nose...

48809291491_8eb9e1be9c_b.jpg

so essentially bar another gloss coat, adding the canopy and tanks and SOME panel line highlights, she’s done.

won’t put it in the gallery cause this is far from accurate but on the whole a fun build.....just as well as I still have another to do!

• Like 5

So she’s finished...

48814450107_665ce54a57_b.jpg

48814300756_415e9f9922_b.jpg

48814301761_60fb23832d_b.jpg

since this airframe most probably did not have full (or any) invasion stripes and I can’t find anything to say this fighter squadron participated over normandyI’ll leave it here.

• Like 7