Rain Dear - P-47D - Tamiya 1/72

Hi all - here's my latest - The Tamiya 1/72 P-47D bubbletop. Like the razorback version, it's a very nice kit and gave hardly any trouble construction wise. I used a decal set from Lifelike decals to portray this lovely example of the jug - Beside wanting to build another Jug, this was an experiment in using Alclad metal paints - as I have quite a few NMF kits in the stash. This will be the first of many if all goes to plan. I think it came out okay - pretty much the finish I was after but still far from my ideal - I learned alot on this build so I'm hoping the next will be better. I used an eduard pe set on the cockpit, I used a Falcon clear vax canopy after I accidentally stood on the kit one :). Tamiya Acrylics were used for the non-metal surface bits, AK enamel washes, pigments and oil paints for the weathering. 

CGPNoFq.jpg

1Imx2hp.jpg

r4BnCFm.jpg

fNkCdhy.jpg

e9hH86e.jpg 

tMDrKFK.jpg

RfapKQV.jpg

r4BnCFm.jpg

yHip5ts.jpg

ME2u0xH.jpg

afBsj05.jpg

The WIP is here: 

Thanks for looking...! Comments are welcome. 

Cheers

John

• Like 50

Magnificent. A short while ago where I live they had a model exhibition featuring several P-47s in various scales, all olive drab examples of the 'razor back' type that were based at Christchurch airfield, Hampshire (now Dorset) in 1943 or '44. One 1/48th scale one was so intricately detailed and realistic, it is what I call 'museum quality.'

This one is at least its equal, it seems to me. All the more remarkable given its 1/72nd scale.

• Thanks 1

Just 15 minutes ago I took out my Alclad which has been sitting lonely and neglected for the better part of a decade, because I've not had the guts to attempt a NMF. Having read your WIP I feel there are enough pointers to take the plunge on a P-51 I've just bought.. The result you've attained is inspiration and motivation in itself - lovely result, well done!

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Avgas said:

Just 15 minutes ago I took out my Alclad which has been sitting lonely and neglected for the better part of a decade, because I've not had the guts to attempt a NMF. Having read your WIP I feel there are enough pointers to take the plunge on a P-51 I've just bought.. The result you've attained is inspiration and motivation in itself - lovely result, well done!

Thanks Avgas - you should definitely give Alclad a shot - the key is what u put under it - a nice clean surface and black gloss anything works really well - I used aqua gloss over it which protects it pretty well from the enamel washes and oils but that might not be essential if you use acrylic based weathering techniques. Alclad is finicky and you can’t take anything for granted but it can give you an amazing result. Once you get the hang of them you’ll never go back😃 My big lesson from this was putting on that aquagloss - I feel if I had been a little more careful, I could have got an even smoother finish- next time 😎

• Thanks 1

That's gorgeous John and I think the NMF looks wonderful. Your weathering just gets better and better, it looks like a used aircraft but not overdone and no "paving stone" gaps with the panel lines 😉

Hope the weather is warming up back home!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Smithy said:

That's gorgeous John and I think the NMF looks wonderful. Your weathering just gets better and better, it looks like a used aircraft but not overdone and no "paving stone" gaps with the panel lines 😉

Hope the weather is warming up back home!

Thanks Smithy😀 The nice lines are due to the kit - tamiya know how to present nice panel lines! Weather is indeed improving here but still a chill in the air down here in chch - though all anyone’s talking about that thing happening over in japan 😉

3 hours ago, SaminCam said:

Yep, this is great John, crisp nmf and spot on weathering. Love that tone of blue too! What's next?!? 

Thanks Sam - I’m staying with the nmf for the moment with a RNZAF Vampire. There’s a wip but must be said, I’m going slowly - but there will be an update soon.. 😎

• Like 1