Ki-61-II Kai at Fussa, marked #10

franki84

Recently read a fascinating article by Don Marsh and James Long at j-aircraft about the sole surviving Ki 61-II  "5017" marked #17 at Fussa test center.   The article mentioned a second Ki-61-II razorback version marked #10 for 5010 from a full-profile photograph.  Although #17 is well documented and photos easily found in references, I can not find the photo of #10.   Would appreciate any reference source for a photo of Ki 61-II marked #10.
Fine Molds and RS have #10 on their respective decal sheets.  The first edition of RS  1/72 Ki-61-II razorback version also features #30 at Fussa, but I can not find any references that mention or document aircraft #30.  Marsh and Long said only #17 and #10 are known to exist at Fussa.  Is #30 an urban myth?

• Like 1

I can only find pictures of three different Ki-61-II in my references, the #17 that you mention, another razorback version with Japanese characters on the tail (possibly signifying 'Amada') and a bubble-top version.

The following experts may be able to help: George Eleftheriou of Arawasi  http://arawasi-wildeagles.blogspot.com/

and Tetsuya Inoue  https://tets-ri.sakura.ne.jp/root/modeling-2/

Hope this helps, Michael

Thank you Michael for your kind help.  I also have photos of the 3 Ki-61-II's in Kagero's excellent Ki-61/Ki-100 book.  The razor back with the Japanese kanji character for thunderbolt is a post war captured Ki 61-II with fictional markings applied for display at Paterson air base in Dayton, Ohio.  So far I only found photos of 2 original operational Japanese Ki-61-II (razorback #17 and the bubble top from 56th Sentai which is surprisingly dissapointing considering recent references state about 99 Ki-61-II were completed).

• Like 1