Takom Chieftain Marksman SPAAG

BlackMax12

Thanks Mike

I have three Takom Chieftains, a Mk5, MK10 and Mk11 so I had to have the anti-aircraft gun version

even though it turned out to be nothing but a prototype. I'm on an anti-aircraft gun kick at the moment so this fits.

I have a ZSU-57-2 under construction so I think after I find a Russian Shilka that will complete the collection.

Your ZSU 23 is off to a great start but I don't think I'll try to match your level of detail, oob is probably ok for this

collection.

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

IIRC the single prototype still exists in the UK in private ownership.

If you like this, you'll love the only service use of this turret.  The Finns liked it, bought 7 and fitted them to some second-hand ex-East German Polish-built T55 hulls as the ItPsv90. Takom have a kit of this: logical as they had all the parts tooled.

The Finns liked it so much they later transplanted the turrets onto 2nd-hand Leopard 2 chassis to go with their Leo2 MBTs as the Leopard 2 Markman.  Trips off the English tongue better than Ilmatorjuntapanssarivaunu 90.................... No-one does a kit of this yet, but it would be an easy, if expensive, cross-kit.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Das

I have this one and a Gepard A2 and a Soviet ZSU-57-2 and that's pretty much enough of the self propelled anti-aircraft guns.

Interesting to hear about all of the variants for this turret though. Don't know why the Brits never adopted it and it's

strange that one set of guns in the Gepard kit were the same as the guns used on this turret.

Lloyd

On 9/22/2019 at 6:25 AM, BlackMax12 said:

Don't know why the Brits never adopted it

Doctinally, we'd sold our soul to missile systems like Rapier and Blowpipe/Starstreak after the towed 40/70 Bofors went out of service, in the belief that gun systems could not deal with fast-moving low-flying jets.  Same with the Navy: frigates and destroyers equipped with just 2 40/60 Bofors or 20mm Oerlikons to back up Seaslug, Sea Dart, Seacat and Seawolf.  Then of course the attack helicopter came to prominence, along with slower attack aircraft such as the Frogfoot.  Ideal cannon fodder: literally!  And we never held much store by SPAA systems of any sort.  Tracked Rapier was an afterthought and went out of service long before its time, and the Starstreak Stormer will pass out of service without being replaced by a Scout family variant.  That decision was made at least a decade ago.

RAF Regt did later have a VR Squadron in Lincolnshire (Waddington?) operating captured Argentine towed twin 35mm Oerlikons (same guns as Marksman/Gepard) and radar directors for some years.  I believe we borrowed 4 trailer-mounted Phalanx CIWS from the US to defend Camp Bastion from missile threats.

I like the Italian idea of the Oto-Melara 76mm Super Rapid on an Ariete or Centauro chassis: 76mm at up to 120 rpm.  To quote Oddball freely, that can give you a nice edge.

Thanks John

Thanks Soeren

Yes it has a base color of Tamiya Field Grey which is actually green to my eyes then an over spray of a lightened base green then some

Tamiya NATO Black for the camo. That's followed by two coats of Future and all 4 decals. Then it has a Tamiya Dark Brown

Panel Liner wash flooded over it and when dry it is scrubbed off in places with mineral spirits. Then it has some Tamiya

Light Brown and some Black Panel liner in pin washes and a coat of Testors Dull Coat to cut

some of the shine and finally it is dry brushed with Tamiya Grey/Green.  

It looks like a simple paint job but it's tough to do and I see now I have to go back and put some more

Vallejo Rust Texture on the exhaust as that somehow got covered over.

It is lots easier to do a 3 color camo and weather the heck out of it but something like a German Grey paint

job is really really tough to make it look realistic. I vote for something half way in between..............

Thanks for looking,

Lloyd

Looks sharp, you've done a fine job there, I may have to get one now.

It's a funny looking thing isn't it? I can't help but think they've forgotten something on the front of the turret between the barrels, just this big space. Maybe a 7.62 minigun or two to deal with the in close threat?

Good build though.