Total mess

Timn

I started a build today and come to paint it. Put my tamiya dark earth aerosol on my build and its reacted badly to the undercoat. I tried the Revell paint remover and no joy...never touched it. I have since had it soaking in fairy power spray and still it's not shifting...any ideas.

Hannants do their own paint-stripper called Purisol. I've not yet used it myself, but I've read good things about it. 

Also, they sell a product called "Paint Strip" (I think) which is a thick paste that you paint on the model, then leave in a bag overnight. It' got a white pot, with a blue lid. 

Hope this helps. 

Chris.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Timn said:

I started a build today and come to paint it. Put my tamiya dark earth aerosol on my build and its reacted badly to the undercoat. I tried the Revell paint remover and no joy...never touched it. I have since had it soaking in fairy power spray and still it's not shifting...any ideas.

I just bought some Screw "No Nonsense" paint and varnish stripper, I tested in on some very old enamel and some new and it stripped it fine, and didn't affect the plastic.

£4.99 for 500 ml, though a look in Homebase 5 min later showed the had a Bartoline stripper for £4.25,  the white bottle under the label looks Identical...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-paint-varnish-stripper-500ml/17091

17091_P&$prodImageMedium$

I've used it to strip multiple paint layers of old gloss on a wooden mirror frame, which took a couple of goes, but did do the job.

I'd check first on some of the kit plastic, old sprue will do, that it does not react, if it does, that should do it.

The products sprecutter96 listed sound great, but maybe will be expensive shipped, as I suspect paint stripper may come under hazardous and go via courier, the stuff above is 'collect only' at Screwfix.

PS you night want to edit your thread heading in editor to 'paint stripper' 

I'm not sure what Tamiya aerosol is,(as in paint type) or what you used as undercoat, which may get more useful information, so you could edit that as well.

HTH

Firstly you should state exactly what paint you used for both the undercoat and what the exact Tamiya aerosol was. If people know the paint type it's easier to tell you the correct way to strip it. I'm assuming the Tamiya aerosol was TS spray? If so isopropyl alcohol will remove it. Soak in a tub with a lid over night and scrub off the next morning with a toothbrush. What was the undercoat used? Brand, type of paint etc.?? If I know that info I can tell you how to strip it and what to use instead so you don't get any bad reactions again from differing paint types..

• Like 2