Handley Page H.P.42 Heracles - Modified Contrail vacuform 1/72nd scale

8 hours ago, Mika Jernfors said:

Yes, there will be two kind of seat patterns included, both the floral and jungle patterns. About the letter shadowing; it is visible on only few photos, most photos show the lettering without shadowing. I think that it is light blue instead of yellow.

Sounds like you have done your homework.  I can see now there are different seat patterns used on the Eastern and Western aircraft, so that makes sense.  Light blue is a possibility for the lettering, as that was used for some of the trim on the Imperial DH86s. 

1 hour ago, Abandoned Project said:

A bonafide work of art. So many superlatives have been used for this beauty and they are all an understatement. You are blessed with a real talent many (including myself) can only dream of.

You are more than kind. More than talent, it's stubbornness 😉

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

I'll join in with the congratulations as well. That really is a First Class build.

Tony.

Hi Tony

Thanks for those kind words, I am glad it provided some modelling joy.

Cheers

32 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

After 5 pages there are no superlatives left unused Moa, ao I'll just go :wow:!!!!!

Undoubtebly one of my favourite models ever posted on this forum, and as usual so beautifully photographed!

Absolutely wonderful!

Keith

Ditto from me.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

After 5 pages there are no superlatives left unused Moa, ao I'll just go :wow:!!!!!

Undoubtebly one of my favourite models ever posted on this forum, and as usual so beautifully photographed!

Absolutely wonderful!

Keith

Hi Keith

I am so glad you and others enjoyed the model, for me too is a treat to see other modelers' work here.

Cheers

10 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

Ditto from me.

Thanks Mohawk!

3 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

Sounds like you have done your homework.  I can see now there are different seat patterns used on the Eastern and Western aircraft, so that makes sense.  Light blue is a possibility for the lettering, as that was used for some of the trim on the Imperial DH86s. 

Let's not forget that there was also plain upholstery, no pattern on it, as depicted on the model:

48751967932_ca2469dc82_m.jpg

48751967962_e7ed92cdbc_b.jpg

48751773336_4557b34a5a_b.jpg

Er...................I am lost for words.....and my wife will tell you that's not actually possible!

That really is one of the best builds of anything I have yet seen.

Stunned!

Well done Moa!

Terry

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Moa said:

Let's not forget that there was also plain upholstery, no pattern on it, as depicted on the model:

Indeed. Undoubtedly the upholstery got replaced several times during the rather long lives of the aircraft. Brown upholstery is what they seemed to favour in the mid/late 30s.  I have an original IAW colour brochure showing the floral style, so that was presumably the initial standard. 

Superb work. What a beaut! I agree that the Golden Age of Aviation was romantic, exciting, and awe-inspiring. But I bet it was also loud, rough, smelly, and bumpy. The few propeller driven airliners I've flown in were far from pleasant flying experiences - I think the vibrations triggered a harmonic in my skull. But I still prefer them to the modern jets. There's just something about them...

Cheers,

Bill

PS. How do you make so many fantastic models so quickly?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Superb work. What a beaut! I agree that the Golden Age of Aviation was romantic, exciting, and awe-inspiring. But I bet it was also loud, rough, smelly, and bumpy. The few propeller driven airliners I've flown in were far from pleasant flying experiences - I think the vibrations triggered a harmonic in my skull. But I still prefer them to the modern jets. There's just something about them...

Cheers,

Bill

I was telling my wife Jackie about this amazing model, and the 15 minute newsreel from 1937 featuring the beast.  We were talking about how luxurious it must've been.  And also how damned hot too, in the days before air conditioned aircraft.  But one doesn't miss what one never had.  People expected to be uncomfortable I guess.  

My first airplane ride was aboard a Trans Texas Airways DC-3, in a 1966 flight from Austin to Dallas, Texas.  I think we flew the whole route with a list and a whole lot of noise. 😀 We were on our first leg of a trip to Geelong, Victoria, Australia for 14 months.  I was 13.   Man, I can still recall how different that 707 felt when took off from Dallas, bound for Los Angeles.  I can also remember how smoky the cabin got with many passengers just puffing away!  Eeewwww!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill

For me it's about the leg and elbow room. Sure, today's airliners are less noisy, faster, cheaper. The smell sometimes is the same, and if you get a rough flight for sure it's going to be bumpy.

But the basterds cram you like sardines, and the airlines points/rewards system is a scam (know by experience).

Did you notice that almost nobody looks at the magnificent landscape nowadays? No sense of wonder: screen down and to sleep, laptop, or the movie it is.

To your last question: not quickly enough for the list I have.

51 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

I was telling my wife Jackie about this amazing model, and the 15 minute newsreel from 1937 featuring the beast.  We were talking about how luxurious it must've been.  And also how damned hot too, in the days before air conditioned aircraft.  But one doesn't miss what one never had.  People expected to be uncomfortable I guess.  

My first airplane ride was aboard a Trans Texas Airways DC-3, in a 1966 flight from Austin to Dallas, Texas.  I think we flew the whole route with a list and a whole lot of noise. 😀 We were on our first leg of a trip to Geelong, Victoria, Australia for 14 months.  I was 13.   Man, I can still recall how different that 707 felt when took off from Dallas, bound for Los Angeles.  I can also remember how smoky the cabin got with many passengers just puffing away!  Eeewwww!

Thanks Gary

You may notice looking at photos of these vintage airliners that there are no smoking signs.

And yes, decades ago it was asphyxiating to travel by jet. Or bus. Or car. Or being at the restaurant. Even in the maternity ward!

My first flight was on a Vickers Viscount from Buenos Aires, Argentina, to Montevideo, Uruguay. I was about 3.

Cheers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Moa said:

Thanks Gary

You may notice looking at photos of these vintage airliners that there are no smoking signs.

And yes, decades ago it was asphyxiating to travel by jet. Or bus. Or car. Or being at the restaurant. Even in the maternity ward!

My first flight was on a Vickers Viscount from Buenos Aires, Argentina, to Montevideo, Uruguay. I was about 3.

Cheers

Yes, I did see the "no smoking" sign on the 42, and was somewhat surprised by that, especially considering the era.  My wife has a small antiques business and almost every piece of old wooden furniture that she deals with still has a strong smell of tobacco.  She and I have talked about that several times...just a lingering "sign o' the times" I guess.

I also flew aboard Vicounts on the journey to Australia and back.  I believe they were on Sydney to Melbourne legs, if I recall correctly (fair chance of that I guess😉).

Best, Gary

• Like 1

I will have to dig out a fantastic old photo be great grandad took of this beast in Iraq.

I've always wanted to model it, but even better is to see somebody with your level of talent produce such a sublime model.. I am stunned

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mahavelona said:

I will have to dig out a fantastic old photo be great grandad took of this beast in Iraq.

I've always wanted to model it, but even better is to see somebody with your level of talent produce such a sublime model.. I am stunned

Thanks for your kind words.

It would be wonderful if you could find and share that photo with all here.

Cheers

I've really enjoyed your work on this.  Great job!

I am mainly a flight simmer, and it is funny how coincidences can happen.  I mainly play IL-2 1946 heavily modded.  I was scrolling through the last update, and well, look for yourself. It is about a 3rd of the page down from the top.

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,62096.0.html?PHPSESSID=0e27445ae543a0f6de6b3d4336850f5f

Sorry for going off topic.

Edited by NoSG0

There is really nothing I can add to what has already been said, but nevertheless I have to offer my congratulations on a superb scale rendition of a classic aircraft. A tour de force of the modeler's art. Bravo sir!

• Thanks 1