Handley Page H.P.42 Heracles - Modified Contrail vacuform 1/72nd scale

3 minutes ago, Moa said:

But Martian, you could convince them, you do have some "pull"*.

*Tractor beam

Nobody believes it anymore, not even with tractor beam on full, backed up with the threat of a full on blurglecruncheoning. Sadly, I have to admit that the doubters are in fact correct.

Martian 👽 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Moa said:

Very kind, Whofan

Yes, that nice little chap adds charm.

My wife gives a high-five on the Who matter.

I will stay with Bach.

Give my regards to Mrs Moa, and a little Bach often calms the vigour of the Who!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mika Jernfors said:

For those who might be interested in getting HP.42 decals to be used with One Man Model or Contrail kits, at the moment I'm working with two separate Arctic Decals HP42 sets, one for the western version 42W (Heracles, Horatius, Hengist and Helena) and another for the eastern 42E version (Hannibal, Horsa, Hanno and Hadrian). The sets will include window masks and frames, as well as decals for the cabin seats and walls/bulkheads. I hope to release them before the Telford SMW show.

Mika

That sounds impressive, especially if you are talking about including those floral seat patterns, which are a total pain to represent by any other means.  It looks in close up photos like there is shadowing on the fuselage lettering, imo almost certainly yellow, like the postwar BOAC also used. What is your opinion about that ?

What can I add which has not already been written? The build log was a course in vacuform modelling and detailing of a standard that could only be equalled, not bettered. The same is true of the model - a masterpiece by any standard. Your attention to even the smallest detail is exceptional, the model even more so. A wonderful journey into the past via an exciting build log and stunning photos.

P

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, pheonix said:

What can I add which has not already been written? The build log was a course in vacuform modelling and detailing of a standard that could only be equalled, not bettered. The same is true of the model - a masterpiece by any standard. Your attention to even the smallest detail is exceptional, the model even more so. A wonderful journey into the past via an exciting build log and stunning photos.

P

You are very kind, P.

Very glad the model seemed to strike a chord with fellow modelers.

So much mystique in that era, strange yet beautiful creations.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Buzby061 said:

I am beyond impressed.

I remember reading a pilot’s description of the HP-42, “As steady as the Rock of Gibraltar & almost as fast!”

Pete

Thanks, Pete!

I truly love that description!

It made me snort my tea!

Cheers

Wow, that really is a stunning finish sprint for this stunning build Moa.  I kept thinking "When's he going to get to the wasp?", but then upon double-checking my resources it appears that I was thinking of a different HP42/45

659b5cbfaebde8948ce44bb94462981b.png

Anyway, outstanding work, just shows what can be done with vacs.  Contrail ain't the worst of them by far, but it's a masterclass you've shown us on this build.  Moderators, more superlatives please!

Bronzemeister

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bronzemeister said:

Wow, that really is a stunning finish sprint for this stunning build Moa.  I kept thinking "When's he going to get to the wasp?", but then upon double-checking my resources it appears that I was thinking of a different HP42/45

659b5cbfaebde8948ce44bb94462981b.png

Anyway, outstanding work, just shows what can be done with vacs.  Contrail ain't the worst of them by far, but it's a masterclass you've shown us on this build.  Moderators, more superlatives please!

Bronzemeister

That's very nice!

Thanks for posting it.

I only saw the Poirot version of it, with a DC-3

Douglas_C-47B_Dakota_4_(DC-3),_Empire_Ai

15 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

That sounds impressive, especially if you are talking about including those floral seat patterns, which are a total pain to represent by any other means.  It looks in close up photos like there is shadowing on the fuselage lettering, imo almost certainly yellow, like the postwar BOAC also used. What is your opinion about that ?

Yes, there will be two kind of seat patterns included, both the floral and jungle patterns. About the letter shadowing; it is visible on only few photos, most photos show the lettering without shadowing. I think that it is light blue instead of yellow.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, europapete said:

Well done Moa, best vac build out there. love the opening description and photo's, your camera work is as good as your modelling. Regards, Pete in RI

Thanks for your kindness, glad you enjoyed it

4 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

My goodness.  That is just amazing.  You're turning modelling in to an art form with this build, Moa.  Beautiful.

Too high praise for my model, but I will shamelessly take it 😉

4 hours ago, russ c said:

Stunning build and photographs, looks awesome

Thanks Russ, we try.

4 hours ago, Neil.C said:

What a beauty!

My Dad's first job on leaving school was working at Croydon airport overhauling the carburettors for those very aircraft.

Wow Neil, for your dad to be close to those beasts must have been awesome.

Cheers

• Like 2

A fantastic build from a kit I looked at long ago, but then decided it was  not for me. (Not that I have anything against vacforms, have even built biplane  ones) Stunning work. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Wow, what an amazing build, it’s hard to believe this started out as a vac form. Beautiful finish and great to see such a vintage in all its glory :)

Thanks woody37, I agree it is a nice feeling to bring back to life these planes, filled with nostalgia and charm, in their own particular ungainly way.

Cheers

32 minutes ago, Mr T said:

A fantastic build from a kit I looked at long ago, but then decided it was  not for me. (Not that I have anything against vacforms, have even built biplane  ones) Stunning work. 

Thanks Mr.T!

I agree, many do not look tempting in their boxes.

But they just need a bit of pixie dust, a magic wand....and 3,000 hours of work :cwl:

Cheers

• Like 1