Handley Page H.P.42 Heracles - Modified Contrail vacuform 1/72nd scale

I have been an admirer of you talent along with your passion for the aircraft you built.  This is an amazing accomplishment.  In this current age where commercial aircraft pretty much all look the same, only scalled up or down you have captured the creativity of design that marked these early days of flight.  I just want to say I appreciate very much what you do.  

• Thanks 1

• Mike changed the title to Handley Page H.P.42 Hercules - Modified Contrail vacuform 1/72nd scale

Beautiful work! 

During my time as a flight instructor in Florida I became good friends with a gentleman (in the truest sense of the word) by the name of Alan Johnson who flew for Imperial on the flying boats pre-war. He ended up as a test pilot for de Havilland along with John Cunningham (of night fighter fame) with whom he had trained.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/comets-tale-63573615/

Unfortunately he is no longer with us but every time I see Imperial Airways I think of him.

Thank you!

Ian

• Like 1

• fjaweijfopi4j48 changed the title to Handley Page H.P.42 Heracles - Modified Contrail vacuform 1/72nd scale
9 hours ago, Courageous said:

One epic build Moa. Those low angle shots of her show off immense size. Beautiful.

Sshh ....... I've heard that a Short Mayo Composite is on the cards :wicked:.

Stuart

That should keep him quiet for a few hours!

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

Simply stunning, I am in awe of your skills. What I really appreciate is how you share your wealth of knowledge with the rest of us. Thank you and congratulations with the result!

Rob

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jonners said:

Moa, this is quite simply a spectacular result, and the photography does the model full justice. Very, very impressed!

Jon

Thanks Jon, glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers

10 hours ago, Gorby said:

That is simply as good as it gets (even if it is in 1/72).

A stunning model of a stunning aircraft.

You are very kind, Gorby, cheers!

9 hours ago, invidia said:

Stunning, a beautiful model of s beautiful aircraft. 

Thanks! I like the "industrial" look of it.

9 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Each new model you post brings my level of admiration up one notch but this is absolutely incredible ! It's hard to believe that such a realistic and detailed model started its life as a basic vacform kit. You Sir are really a master modeller !

Hi Giorgio

You are too kind. No master here, but I enjoy trying.}

Cheers

9 hours ago, Aeronut said:

A fine example of ‘a silk purse from a sow’s ear’. Superb modelling and photographic set dressing.

Not an easy one, granted. Glad you like the results of the effort.

Cheers

9 hours ago, shortCummins said:

such a beautiful aircraft and what a stunning build

rgds

John(shortCummins)

John!

Glad you enjoyed the build.

Cheers

8 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

A magnificent result, quite simply outstanding build and finish.

Awesome.

(I am in awe)

Awed Quack

(Makes a change from the usual Odd Quack)

Dear Quak: too much praise for my efforts, I am afraid, but I will shamelessly take it.

Cheers

8 hours ago, bristol boy said:

I don't shy away from vacform models and think some of mine have been pretty good however.....I have now given up. Moa, your model is simply stunning, worthy of being the best thing I have ever seen on BM,

Neil

You are exceedingly kind. The model is very far from perfect, but I like to see it built now.

Cheers!

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

This is a bit wonderful Moa, its been quite a journey that I've just caught up with on your WIP, really worth the effort & a treat to do so. This is a modelling tour de force of the first order. Bravo.

Steve.

Hi Steve

Quite a journey indeed. Glad it arrived to completion, my eyes are too tired now for these adventures.

Cheers

7 hours ago, Whirly said:

What a spectacular creation Moa!

I remember back in the '90s there was a fellow club member who had completed this Contrail vacuform: I followed his progress with admiration through several evening meetings and finally saw this Art Déco monument displayed in a perspex case bought on purpose. It was impressive but in all honesty the mediocre quality of the basic kit transpired from every bit, despite the huge amount of effort he had invested in his build.

Now I can say exactly the opposite looking at your completed model: it is all the more magnificent considering the sheer complexity of the subject and how much you have improved every bit of the basic kit. Congratulations! 👍

High praise, but the model has its shortcomings too. Don't tell anyone!

Cheers

7 hours ago, DJJunis said:

Absolutely epic effort and result. Truly spectacular. Followed the build from the beginning and it was a treat. Now to see the final result it is to see it was all worth it.

All the Best!

Don

Hi Don

Thanks for your kind words.

Glad to share the experience.

Cheers

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tomthounaojam said:

Out words, this is really outstanding work. One of the best model here for sure. Thank you for sharing to us.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Harold55 said:

I have been an admirer of you talent along with your passion for the aircraft you built.  This is an amazing accomplishment.  In this current age where commercial aircraft pretty much all look the same, only scalled up or down you have captured the creativity of design that marked these early days of flight.  I just want to say I appreciate very much what you do.  

Hi Harold

I must agree that diversity makes it more enjoyable sometimes. I truly appreciate your kind words.

Cheers

2 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Bravo

Undeserved, but taken nonetheless!

Cheers!

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Beautiful work! 

During my time as a flight instructor in Florida I became good friends with a gentleman (in the truest sense of the word) by the name of Alan Johnson who flew for Imperial on the flying boats pre-war. He ended up as a test pilot for de Havilland along with John Cunningham (of night fighter fame) with whom he had trained.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/comets-tale-63573615/

Unfortunately he is no longer with us but every time I see Imperial Airways I think of him.

Thank you!

Ian

Hi Ian

Glad it resonated with nice memories.

Best regards.

12 minutes ago, theskits62 said:

That is stunning, definitely gets my vote for build of the year.

One of my favourite planes of all time and you've captured the essence of it perfectly. A great WIP too, thanks for taking the time to explain the "how" to us lesser mortals.

Thanks, and sharing is always a pleasure.

12 minutes ago, CYA said:

Simply stunning, I am in awe of your skills. What I really appreciate is how you share your wealth of knowledge with the rest of us. Thank you and congratulations with the result!

Rob

You are very kind. Sharing allows all of us to enjoy our creations and learn. Thank you.

11 minutes ago, fatalbert said:

A truly  stunning build,you sir are a master of the craft.🙂

You are too kind. No master, but I keep trying. May be one day I will achieve that model 😉

Cheers

46 minutes ago, ragnarec said:

Beautiful! An amazing result made from a quite crude kit. I'v really appreciated following the detailed build thread. Looking forward to the next project!

Regards from Norway,

Ragnar

Thanks, Ragnar

it was a long build, i am relieved it's s completed.

Always glad to share.

I am thinking of something small for the next, to have a rest 😉

cheers

• Like 2

Being a vac form builder myself, I know what effort is involved in creating a model that is just cut from a piece of vac formed moulded plastic to replicate something that is more to a standard of a Revell/Airifx model kit, which you have achieved perfectly, so I take my hat of to you, simply brilliant 😀

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kev67 said:

Being a vac form builder myself, I know what effort is involved in creating a model that is just cut from a piece of vac formed moulded plastic to replicate something that is more to a standard of a Revell/Airifx model kit, which you have achieved perfectly, so I take my hat of to you, simply brilliant 😀

Thanks Kev

It involved some effort, as you can understand.

I am looking forward to a normal Airfix's 1/72 kit !

15 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I think I would believe anything Moa!

Martian 👽

"The model is out there..."

30 minutes ago, Moa said:

I am looking forward to a normal Airfix's 1/72 kit !

If only I had a pound for every time I have uttered those words!

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

This is without doubt a craftsman at work, but the little detail that caught my eye and confirmed you are a craftsman with a whimsical sense of humour - the little guy standing by the hand truck.

What a lovely pose!

And it complements the aeroplane beautifully.

A Tip 'o the hat to you.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Whofan said:

This is without doubt a craftsman at work, but the little detail that caught my eye and confirmed you are a craftsman with a whimsical sense of humour - the little guy standing by the hand truck.

What a lovely pose!

And it complements the aeroplane beautifully.

A Tip 'o the hat to you.

Very kind, Whofan

Yes, that nice little chap adds charm.

My wife gives a high-five on the Who matter.

I will stay with Bach.

• Like 1