Handley Page H.P.42 Heracles - Modified Contrail vacuform 1/72nd scale

I don't think that there are enough superlatives to allow me to praise this masterpiece enough. 

I've followed this build with a mixture of admiration and excitement. To see it now so beautifully presented and photographed is just simply breathtaking. 

It stands as a fitting tribute not only to the aeroplane itself, but also to the spirit of the Golden Age of air travel. 

Thank you for sharing each and every step of your journey with us. 

I will always be proud to worship at the alter of Moa. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

:mike:

We are not worthy to even view the images of such excellent examples of scale modelling engineering, construction, and art, not to mention the sublime descriptive prose, on our computers. I shall now take up crochet as a hobby.

Let's not get carried away, Michael!

An annual tribute of styrene and supplies should suffice. 😁

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, cngaero said:

I don't think that there are enough superlatives to allow me to praise this masterpiece enough. 

I've followed this build with a mixture of admiration and excitement. To see it now so beautifully presented and photographed is just simply breathtaking. 

It stands as a fitting tribute not only to the aeroplane itself, but also to the spirit of the Golden Age of air travel. 

Thank you for sharing each and every step of your journey with us. 

I will always be proud to worship at the alter of Moa. 

You are too kind, Chris

I am very glad you enjoyed the build and the model.

It certainly makes me happy.

Cheers

6 hours ago, Dave Spencer said:

Vac form - nah, not for me.

1930s- nah, not for me.

Airliner - nah, not for me.

Silver - nah, not for me.

All these things aside, this is a truly stunning looking build. And this is the first time I have commented on a build in a while. Well done mate, this is an amazing looking aircraft.

I am very glad you enjoyed it, in spite of all the factors you mentioned. A reluctant enjoyer!

We may still make a believer of you! 😉

Cheers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnHaa said:

Moa,

I'm impressed with your skills, it is a complicated and difficult model and you managed to look it so beautiful. My compliments !

Also your wip was very usefull ! Thanks.

Cheers

JohnHaa

Thanks John, coming from you, double praise!

What would it take to convert you to 1/72 scale? 😁

5 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Well that's rather splendid, you've brought an old aeroplane to life with this, the modelling and photos are that good. 

Thanks!

5 hours ago, jeaton01 said:

I'm lost in a storm of speechlessness!  A dream come true to see that kit built in such stupendous fashion. Many vacform kits are weeping with envy as they still remain in my stash.  I shall have to print one of those photos, frame it and put it on the wall.

Build them, John, I can't stand all that weeping!

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Moa, you have gasted this old Canuck's flabber! Truly a most excellent build. 

Chris

🤣 Thanks Chris!

3 hours ago, chrisbob12 said:

Wow! It was an epic build leading to a superb result. Thank you so much for sharing this, I enjoyed the whole thing.

Very happy to share the enjoyment! The more the merrier!

Thanks!

Moa,

I can't really improve upon what all the others have said about this model, and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading and viewing the WIP, which was a modeling manual in its own right. A magnificent model of a truly classic and magnificent airplane. The photographs are so good and the model so realistic it looks like the metal is too hot to touch, sitting out on the ramp in that brutal sunshine! Other than the expired safety sticker on the ground vehicle, it's about as perfect a modeling job as they come! You have every right to be proud of this one.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

Oh my sainted aunt! That is just wonderful Moa, you are a true modelling giant! I built this kit a decade or so again and was lucky enough to score 'best in show' at the ScaleACT competition in Canberra in 2009 but yours is light years better than my attempt. I'm in awe.

As an aside I knew an English engineer who has left us now but who lived near Croydon airport in the 1930s and he would tell of seeing these beasts flying onto the grass strips, engines barely ticking over and softly drifting in like giant moths, an image that has stayed with me.

Horatio!

You came surely lured by the sound of that Air Klaxon!

You are very lucky to treasure the memory of that account.

I just told my wife that you named me a true modeling giant.

She was quite unimpressed, and asked me to take the Sunday trash out.

Even I have to climb down from my lofty pedestal and take care of the mundane.

Can you image?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Moa,

I can't really improve upon what all the others have said about this model, and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading and viewing the WIP, which was a modeling manual in its own right. A magnificent model of a truly classic and magnificent airplane. The photographs are so good and the model so realistic it looks like the metal is too hot to touch, sitting out on the ramp in that brutal sunshine! Other than the expired safety sticker on the ground vehicle, it's about as perfect a modeling job as they come! You have every right to be proud of this one.

Mike

You are too kind Mike.

Glad that this could become useful in any way.

Your enjoyment is my joy.

Cheers

Congratulations Moa for your stunning Heracles model! I have not been able to build models for years (because of making decals for other modellers) so I am very glad when I can see my creations used by the modellers. I feel that it has been a priviledge to be partially in this project!

For those who might be interested in getting HP.42 decals to be used with One Man Model or Contrail kits, at the moment I'm working with two separate Arctic Decals HP42 sets, one for the western version 42W (Heracles, Horatius, Hengist and Helena) and another for the eastern 42E version (Hannibal, Horsa, Hanno and Hadrian). The sets will include window masks and frames, as well as decals for the cabin seats and walls/bulkheads. I hope to release them before the Telford SMW show.

Mika

• Like 1

One epic build Moa. Those low angle shots of her show off immense size. Beautiful.

10 hours ago, Moa said:
10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Beautiful! How are you going to follow this?

Demanding of Mars 👽

The next one (a few more decals to be applied) is the Argentinian Junkers airliner.

Sshh ....... I've heard that a Short Mayo Composite is on the cards :wicked:.

Stuart

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

That is simply as good as it gets (even if it is in 1/72).

That is as good as it gets, @Gorby! 1/72 all the way...... :)

1 hour ago, Jonners said:

Moa, this is quite simply a spectacular result, and the photography does the model full justice. Very, very impressed!

Jon

Agreed!

• Thanks 1

What a spectacular creation Moa!

I remember back in the '90s there was a fellow club member who had completed this Contrail vacuform: I followed his progress with admiration through several evening meetings and finally saw this Art Déco monument displayed in a perspex case bought on purpose. It was impressive but in all honesty the mediocre quality of the basic kit transpired from every bit, despite the huge amount of effort he had invested in his build.

Now I can say exactly the opposite looking at your completed model: it is all the more magnificent considering the sheer complexity of the subject and how much you have improved every bit of the basic kit. Congratulations! 👍

• Thanks 1