Handley Page H.P.42 Heracles - Modified Contrail vacuform 1/72nd scale

44 minutes ago, Quid100 said:

Fantastic modelling, fantastic photography, luv it. 

Matt 

Thanks Matt!

35 minutes ago, Lightpainter said:

Incredible really!

I went to a modelling show totday and there was a partly completed Contrail HP42 but it nowhere came close to your model!

You are very kind, thanks!

29 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Sublime! Awesome! Spectacular! Flawless! :clap:

(Enough flattery? I doubt it. :) )

You made me laugh 🤣

Thanks Heather, flawless surely it is not, but I am glad I built it.

Now BM should send me to a nice Spa to recover, all expenses paid.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Simply beautiful Moa. What a graceful and iconic symbol of early trans-continental air travel - and your model has captured it beautifully. I looked in on your WIP a few times in awe and I still cannot believe that a stunning model like this can be built from a Vac-Form! Well done!

Now get yourself booked into that spa - the cheque is in the post (Not!) LOL

Cheers

Malcolm

• Haha 1

Like the poetic intro, which sounds like something straight from a 1930s travel brochure.  Although, to be a trifle pedantic, Heracles and sister Horatius seldom (never?) ventured to anywhere more exotic than Paris.

Whatever, a spectacular result from that rough old kit, with photography to match.  You've captured the essence of the lumbering giant better than the others I've seen to date.....

• Thanks 1

Hi Moa,

I've been following your progress over the past few months and have been in awe of your seemingly endless talents!

Congratulations on finally finishing it, it has been so worth it. I hope you can find somewhere fitting to display it where as many people as possible can see, admire and appreciate it.

I have one question, where is the flag pole with the ensign flying from it? It would be the icing on the cake for me!

The best civil model on BM this year without a doubt!!

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Moa,

I've been following your progress over the past few months and have been in awe of your seemingly endless talents!

Congratulations on finally finishing it, it has been so worth it. I hope you can find somewhere fitting to display it where as many people as possible can see, admire and appreciate it.

I have one question, where is the flag pole with the ensign flying from it? It would be the icing on the cake for me!

The best civil model on BM this year without a doubt!!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian

Thanks!

If you look closely you will see that the hole for the flag pole has been covered. I made one, but the flag looked unreal, stiff and childish, even when made to drop more or less naturally.

It contaminated the model with puerility, so I discarded it. Figures and "soft" elements (fabrics, etc.), when not good, look rigid and ruin the effect.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Beautiful! How are you going to follow this?

Demanding of Mars 👽

The next one (a few more decals to be applied) is the Argentinian Junkers airliner.

After that, dear extraterrestrial, modeling vacations it is for me. My eyes are tired and my hands stiff.

(Watch out for a guy named David Vincent, he was asking about you the other days)

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Roger Holden said:

Like the poetic intro, which sounds like something straight from a 1930s travel brochure.  Although, to be a trifle pedantic, Heracles and sister Horatius seldom (never?) ventured to anywhere more exotic than Paris.

Whatever, a spectacular result from that rough old kit, with photography to match.  You've captured the essence of the lumbering giant better than the others I've seen to date.....

Thanks Roger

I read so much written material during the research that surely some content made it here.

I have a photo of Heracles at Schiphol, and another most likely in Switzerland.

Too much work to go looking for it now among the pile of references, but at one point I think Heracles had to cover for another HP42 and do the stretch to Near East for a little while.

Cheers

• Like 1

:mike:

We are not worthy to even view the images of such excellent examples of scale modelling engineering, construction, and art, not to mention the sublime descriptive prose, on our computers. I shall now take up crochet as a hobby.

• Haha 1

Vac form - nah, not for me.

1930s- nah, not for me.

Airliner - nah, not for me.

Silver - nah, not for me.

All these things aside, this is a truly stunning looking build. And this is the first time I have commented on a build in a while. Well done mate, this is an amazing looking aircraft.

• Thanks 1

Moa,

I'm impressed with your skills, it is a complicated and difficult model and you managed to look it so beautiful. My compliments !

Also your wip was very usefull ! Thanks.

Cheers

JohnHaa

• Thanks 1

I'm lost in a storm of speechlessness!  A dream come true to see that kit built in such stupendous fashion. Many vacform kits are weeping with envy as they still remain in my stash.  I shall have to print one of those photos, frame it and put it on the wall.

• Thanks 1

Oh my sainted aunt! That is just wonderful Moa, you are a true modelling giant! I built this kit a decade or so ago and was lucky enough to score 'best in show' at the ScaleACT competition in Canberra in 2009 but yours is light years better than my attempt. I'm in awe.

As an aside I knew an English engineer who has left us now but who lived near Croydon airport in the 1930s and he would tell of seeing these beasts flying onto the grass strips, engines barely ticking over and softly drifting in like giant moths, an image that has stayed with me.

Edited by Horatio Gruntfuttock
spelling error
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1